Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass "Norwegian Viking sword" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Windlass "Norwegian Viking sword"         Reply with quote

Have any of you handled this sword? What did you think? Handling/construction/accuracy?

Its on heavy discount atm and I might check it out. Want to get the forum consensus first though.

Externally, it bears a similar appearance to this find:

Attachment: 41.44 KB
[ Download ]

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
R Johnson

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Windlass "Norwegian Viking sword"         Reply with quote

Ian Hutchison wrote:
Have any of you handled this sword? What did you think? Handling/construction/accuracy?

Its on heavy discount atm and I might check it out. Want to get the forum consensus first though.

Externally, it bears a similar appearance to this find:

Ian; If this is the "Norse Viking Sword" by Windlass I own one. It is a fairly well made sword from Windass, the blade being a decent rendition of a type X, the hilt is excellent, in my opinion, supposedly in solid silver and feels hefty enough to be. the scabbard is nothing to write home about but is serviceable. It has a nice "Viking Look" to it. It's not overly heavy at approximately 3 lbs. and feels good in the hand. At the price, I consider it a good purchase.

this is the Windlass "Norse Viking Sword". Is this the one you're speaking of? Hope this helps. Good luck.

Paratus Et Fidelis
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

A few questions. Is the pommel peened? Did you order it sharpened? Much room in the grip? Or is this a "handshake" grip required piece. In other words did windlass make a longer grip to accommodate a more comfortable hammer grip (even though not as historical perhaps)?

Thanks.

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Tim May

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Terry Crain wrote:
Hello,

A few questions. Is the pommel peened? Did you order it sharpened? Much room in the grip? Or is this a "handshake" grip required piece. In other words did windlass make a longer grip to accommodate a more comfortable hammer grip (even though not as historical perhaps)?

Thanks.

Terry,

I took advantage of the Windlass Clearance and got mine for quite cheap. Mine is not sharp, though that can be remedied quickly enough. The handshake is necessary, as the grip, while a little long, falls within historic variation, that the sides of the pommel/upper guard are very crisp, making it uncomfortable in the hammer. The grip is relatively awful, typical windlass, so I rewrapped mine in a sort of oxblood/magenta, and it looks (humbly) fantastic.

Overall, I'd highly recommend the piece, the guard is a strong Nickel Silver, not real silver, but definitely attractive enough, with and it doesn't require much maintenance. It is a bit heavy, but the guard and pommel balance out the sword very well, oh, and the clincher, at least for me (it was a very pleasant surprise) the wire accents are true, twisted wire.

Edit, it is peened, very cleanly (though of separate metals), and rings true when tapped.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, thanks for the replies guys. I think I might go ahead and get this one. Another reason for choosing this one is it's a prime candidate to try my hand at re-wrapping the grip.
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass "Norwegian Viking sword"
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic