Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 1400 Venetian man-at-arms Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John A Meyer

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: 1400 Venetian man-at-arms         Reply with quote

Hello!
I've always been looking at this site for its wonderful essays and information. I am a 19 year old college student (University at Buffalo) majoring in political science and Late medieval history (namely southern Europe). I am involved in the SCA and a few reenactment groups in Western New York. I've also been making plate armour now for 2 years, and have finally started raising a few pieces (though it's a slow learning process)

My questions are about a new kit I am planning on putting together, a Venetain Man-at-arms from 1400, my soft kit is pretty well set together. However the armour of that time is a bit blurry to me. This is what I the current plans are for my kit, I would like some input though on the accuracy of the armour to the time.

helmet- I am trying to escape the bascinet with all my power, I have used them now for 2 years and wanted a change of scenery. I was thinking of a using a celata but how accurate would this be? I couldn't nail down a time frame for them but they seem to come before Barbutes so perhaps they are in my ballpark.

Body- I know that the corazzina or globosed Coat of plates is under a lot of scrutiny as an actual historical piece, but I enjoy the look of CoP's. The brigandines of the late 15th century are too late for my time period so what other types of CoP's are common of the time?

My apologies if these questions are redundant I have used the search but found nothing specific to what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help and the great site!
Urbain d'Erlon

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

In Milan, you can see a corrazina Inv. ARME BIANCHE 161 :

It's dated 1380-1410. If you want more images...
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A COP or corazzina would be fine. The realy question with the corazzina is more about terminology and how they'd look that late in the century.

Take a look at the Pistoia alter piece. There are loads of cool armour designs in Italy. There is also a wall painting of Palazzo Pubblico Siena (In Nicolle's Medieval Warfare Sourcebook og. 210) that is more your time frame that is very nice as it includes loads of weapons and armour.

Sorry this is so short but I am very tied up at the moment. I'd look into Nicolle's book. Some of the text is debated but the artwork is useful.

RPM

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 1400 Venetian man-at-arms
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic