Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion Squire Line Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nicholas Allan Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Albion Squire Line Swords         Reply with quote

Can anyone supply me with information about the quality of Albion Squire line swords?
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out the reviews section:
http://www.myArmoury.com/reviews.html
There are 3 of the 4 reviewed there (and lots of other great eye candy too Wink )
Basically they are essentially Next Gens that aren't finished to quite as high a level and also feature other things like simplified hilt components and a blunt edge (though Albion offers a sharpening service for $25...even though it is a secondary edge bevel, most people agree that it isn't too obtrusive and cuts rather well) in order to make them available to a slightly lower price bracket.
The steps taken to reduce the cost in no way however compromise the rock solid assembly method and quality that Albions possess. My recommendation.....get one Happy
Hope this helps,
Dan
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Albion Squire Line Swords         Reply with quote

Nicholas Allan Wilson wrote:
Can anyone supply me with information about the quality of Albion Squire line swords?

Yes, they're outstanding. There are three small differences between them and their Next Generation counterparts. First, the edges are ever so slightly thicker on the Squire Line swords. Secondly, the point is a bit thicker. On my SQL Bastard, the point is noticably more rounded than it's NG counterpart, the Mercenary, but even so, the sword would still be highly effective for thrusting. Thirdly, the grip is plain black leather, without the cord lines found on the NG line swords.

Other than that, these swords are pretty much identical to their NG counterparts. If you gave someone a Squire Line sword without telling them that it was from a different line amongst a bunch of NG swords, the person would not likely even notice that anything was different. It's not as though the overall sword is significantly lower quality than other Albion swords. I consider my Bastard to be just as much of a sword as the Next Gen line. If you're looking for a compromise on quality and price, the Squire Line can't be beat.
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can also vouch for the Squire Line.

I own a Squire Line 13th Century Knightly and its the best sword in my collection. Even though they could be described as Albion's 'budget' option and have a couple of compromises, they are streets ahead of other manufacturer's swords at the same price point (or even slightly above for that matter). In terms of design, authenticity, finnish, quality of construction and handling; they are excellent swords.

Also mine was sharpened and Albion did a very good job too.

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Nicholas Allan Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys.

I am looking to start a collection which is why I ask to begin with. And since Albion's site lists the Squire line as for the "beginning collector" i wasn't sure what they entirely meant. Now I have a better idea and will look further into obtaining one Happy
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also, welcome to the forums Happy

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Nicholas,

I've had a Squire Line Great Sword for a few years now. Picked it up for drills and sparring before they came out with the maestro line. This sword has arguably seen WAY more use then an authentic piece due to my training over the years. it's held up with flying colors. The flat edge needs filing after a bout but that's to sometimes be expected. About the only thing to happen to her was that the leather wrap came loose from use. I simply re wrapped the grip and she was good as new. I have a Liechtenauer now but the sword in question here still to this day is in use and makes it's rounds with the people I study with.

Winter is coming

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion Squire Line Swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic