Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

If you could only own one sword...
It seems like this topic must have been discussed but I was unable to turn up anything using searches, so...

If you could only have one sword, original or repro, what would it be, and is it already in your collection? Or perhaps just an inspiration/idea for a custom piece that you would like to have made someday?
For many, myself included, this may take some serious thought and a good deal of time to answer. The question is painful for me to even contemplate, much less answer (how materialistic is that???) and I am frankly unable to make up my mind, or even narrow it down with any lasting conviction, which is why I am curious to hear from anyone else who cares to answer.

If this has been discussed in another thread I apologize and would appreciate a polite point in the right direction.
That would have to be my Cervenka rapier. Its not the prettiest, but it sure is sweet to handle.It has everything I wanted in a rapier: simple design, ambidextrous, solid construction, and a wide shortish blade.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o274/jaish...230106.jpg
Probably Xa.1 from Records of the Medieval Sword.

Custom wise, anything from Peter Johnsson, any period.

Repro, Albion's Crecy.

:)
Only one sword?
Yikes!!! :eek: Only ONE sword, Justin? For me, that would be almost impossible. I have several that I consider my "favorite", depending on the time period, application and design asthetics. Since I enjoy renaissance faires, everything Scottish (highland games included), and 18th Century living history, it would be difficult to have just one sword that could fulfill all of those parameters. So, if I must narrow it down to only one, perhaps I may be allowed one for each of my period interests.

For renaissance faires, my favorite period sword would be my A & A German rapier. It is light, shorter than average (making it easier to manage), and beautifully designed and constructed. Plus what other sword better exemplifies the renaissance than a rapier?

For my Scottish endeavors (and Highland games, too), I'd choose my Mad Piper SW1 Walter Allen basket-hilt Claymore. It's truly one of my best swords and represents my Scottish heritage. It has a special place over my inglenook, mounted over a swatch of my family tartan.

For my 18th Century living history needs, I have to choose my Old Dominion Forge Clamshell Cutlass. I asked Kyle Williard to make this sword for me, and he did an outstanding job. It's light, flexible, and cuts pumpkins like they were butter. It's actually a 17th century design, but it's type would not be out of place as a side arm throughout the American Revolution.

I must also add that I will NEVER give up my Jody Samson Farseer Leafblade sword. It's my favorite fantasy sword, and I plan on it going with me to the pyre!

Also, Justin, I'm the one who ended up with your German dagger with the rosewood hilt, and I plan on keeping that, too. ;)
Re: Only one sword?
Christopher Gregg wrote:
Yikes!!! :eek: Only ONE sword, Justin? For me, that would be almost impossible. I have several that I consider my "favorite", depending on the time period, application and design asthetics. Since I enjoy renaissance faires, everything Scottish (highland games included), and 18th Century living history, it would be difficult to have just one sword that could fulfill all of those parameters.

It would be a nearly impossible and very painful decision for me as well, and one that I think I would second guess constantly. That is part of the reason why I ask.
These tough economic times occasionally get me to thinking about the dreaded possibilities (or very tangible and immediate realities for some) of financial and material hardship that could, realistically, force me to sell part or all of my sword collection, among other things, in order to support and maintain my family and household.
Thankfully I do not forsee those circumstances in my immediate future but this kind of hardship has happened already to many and is sure to happen to others before the economy in general begins to improve instead of worsen.
This is not a fun thing to contemplate but perhaps a decision that it is worthwhile to prepare for as it would be even more difficult for me to make with little or no time to consider. It is also the kind of question that makes me examine my collecting hobby and the satisfaction (or lack thereof) that I have found in the process, and in the end may allow me to re-prioritize my collecting and find more satisfaction and/or appreciation in what I have.
I am happy to hear that the dagger is still in the hands of a forumite and that you are happy with it. It may be my favorite piece to date.
I think I currently have 16 swords in my possession, not counting several wasters and daggers. Several manufacturers, but mostly Windlass bought 'off the rack' after inspection. Bought new right now they would range in price from $150-$820 (US).

I have asked myself this questions many times - if I could only keep one, which would it be?

The answer remains the same - my Windlass 'transitional viking sword'.

I love the curving lines, I love the period and the combination of medieval blade and viking stylings, not to mention the ties to cultures that I am personally fond of. And of course it performs decently, it's as solid as the day I bought it, and I love the way it feels in my hand. Which is funny because toward the end of its run you could get one from Kult of Athena for $169.

Picture: http://www.getswords.com/product~item~500238~...+Sword.htm

A recent web search suggests there might still be a few around.

Last edited by J.D. Crawford on Mon 16 Feb, 2009 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
It would have to by my Albion Yeoman, hands down. I love that sword more than anything in my collection! The aesthetic quality to that blade, and the handling is beyond anything I've experienced sword-wise.
At this point in time I would say a XIIa bastard sword. That means, bigger than the Knight but smaller than a Baron.
Approx dimensions 34" blade 6" grip with a pommel that is a bigger version of Albions Oakeshott. Weight around 3 pounds.
Oddly enough, my wife says one sword is enough (well, she says too many, but close enough) and that sword is my Valkyrja.
If you ask me again in a month, I might come up with a different answer, but right now I would choose the 17th century German military sword shown below. It seems a unique design; I haven't seen anything else that is close to it.

Second choice is my Albion Oakeshott, the recreation of Xa.1 in Records. It doesn't have the prettiest hilt, but it does have the most beautiful hollow ground blade I've come across. In looks and performance it is everything a Medieval sword should be.

Attachment: 42.25 KB
haudegen2c 98cm.jpg

I really don't know. If had found the one, I'd probably only have it. Since I have more than one sword, either there is no one sword or I have not found that one sword. Either way, same end result, I don't know.
Roger Hooper wrote:
If you ask me again in a month, I might come up with a different answer, but right now I would choose the 17th century German military sword shown below. It seems a unique design; I haven't seen anything else that is close to it.

I'm pretty confident that this hilt is of the same family as the ones in the last chapter of Mazansky's "British Basket-Hilted Swords". It is almost identical to the example given as Type IIIii (Royal Armouries IX.1248, c.1660-70), even down to the screws used to attatch the ends of the knuckle-guard and side-guard to the pommel, with only some slight differences in the grip and even slighter in the pommel. The details on the basket itself are indistinguishable, excepting the short langents on Mazansky's example, which is not in itself a universal feature of this type of basket, and the piercings on the filler plates, which are smaller but of the same shape.
I agree that this style of sword is one of the prettiest of the close-hilt broadswords and this particular variant, with the assymetrical hilt and single side-guard, is probably my favorite among the bunch, although one with a thumb ring would be even sweeter, at least one of the examples in Mazansky's book has one.

Last edited by Justin King on Mon 16 Feb, 2009 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
thats a tough question!

singlehand - I would have to go with one of my baskethilts so... my E.B. Erickson baskethilted backsword
hand&half - very very difficult choice, but would have to say Albion Brescia Spadona
two hands (I consider longswords in this category as well).......... hmm, my Lundemo Claymore
interestingly - two of those three I bought here second hand at mA............................

if I could only have just one it would have to be the versatility of a hand and a half sword so the Albion Brescia Spadona. It really is quite versatile in one hand or two and can be used with longsword fencing techniques, yet is a very effective cut&thrust medieval hand and a half sword. but if i answered this question next week it might be a different final choice. tr
For the purpose of this question, I'll throw out the notion of custom swords because the playing field would be just too large. I'll also not consider an antique sword for similar reasons. it's just easier for me to think of these "pick just one" type of questions with a smaller set of variables :)

So having said that, I'd want an Albion Museum Line Svante Nilsson Sture Sword.

[ Linked Image ]

Please note, I don't own that sword now and likely never will due to its cost. But that's what I'd want for my single-sword collection.
Justin King wrote:

I'm pretty confident that this hilt is of the same family as the ones in the last chapter of Mazansky's "British Basket-Hilted Swords".

Thanks, Justin. A thumb ring would make that sword even better. I am going to have to buy that book.
My choice would be my ElJay baskethilt, with my ElJay grenadier's hanger running a close second. Everything else in my collection currently would be a distant third to these two pieces.

Attachment: 37.54 KB
eBay 016b.jpg

Attachment: 41.72 KB
eBay 011b.jpg

Right now, I'd probably go for a sort of bastard saber; two-handed, blade ca 30-35 inches long, very gently curved, possibly with a katzbalger or Style 12 type guard. Since we're playing pretend, I'd like it to be made from the best steel available, and fairly fancy-looking.

This basically depends on my mood, though. Ask me tomorrow and I might want a different sword. I can almost guarantee it will always be some kind of saber or backsword, though.
Actually, this is surprisingly easy for me to answer! The Lady Vivamus from Albion. Sadly, I'll only ever own it in my dreams..... :(

That said, the competition for second place is impossibly fierce :lol:

Cheers

Marc
My Svante undoubtedly runs a close second, but if I could have or keep only one it would be my sword made by Peter Johnsson.
[ Linked Image ]

When I was a boy this is the kind of sword I dreamed of owning so the type is close to my heart and I can think of no better example.
This is a tough question to answer. And it will depend on the day. :)

If I stick to things I own, then I probably would keep my Sovereign. I like the little booger and it has the best scabbard of any of my swords. I also have a helm and dagger that go with it, so I could still build a kit with it.

Or...

I might decide to keep my baskethilt. Since this thread is about getting rid of swords, I'm guessing daggers are still okay. :) If so, I'd keep my dirk and sgian achles.

If I could choose a custom sword (which I'll never be able to afford), it would be a totally accurate version of the Edward III sword, gold foil overlay and all.

Attachment: 33.64 KB
DawgDays2-2.jpg
Sovereign and helm

Attachment: 71.78 KB
At the ready-2.jpg
Baskethilt and dirk

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Sat 13 Jun, 2009 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Page 1 of 5

Jump to: