Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Some questions about Mercenary's Tailor armor... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Some questions about Mercenary's Tailor armor...         Reply with quote

I am considering working on a plate harness and have seen high marks about Mercenary's Tailor. I have some questions about them for any who can offer some information:

1. I did not notice when adding things to your cart the ability to enter specific sizing information. Are their armor products made to your specific dimensions or do you get a one size fits most where you have to customize/size it yourself?

2. Do they offer a heat-bluing service for their armored items?

3. What is the typical turn-around time on an order from them?

Thanks in advance for any information! Big Grin

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Moved from the Historic Arms Talk forum, as this topic is about a maker, not a "Discussions of reproduction and authentic historical arms and armour from various cultures and time periods".

I would think that asking them directly would result in better information than a secondary source.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions about Mercenary's Tailor armor...         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
I am considering working on a plate harness and have seen high marks about Mercenary's Tailor. I have some questions about them for any who can offer some information:

1. I did not notice when adding things to your cart the ability to enter specific sizing information. Are their armor products made to your specific dimensions or do you get a one size fits most where you have to customize/size it yourself?

2. Do they offer a heat-bluing service for their armored items?

3. What is the typical turn-around time on an order from them?

Thanks in advance for any information! Big Grin

1. Never used the cart but an e-mail to Allan would answer your question or any other questions but I think it's mostly one size fits most ( Not 100% sure of this ) but some tweaking is possible I think and strapping can be made longer than standard for " bigger " people.

2. The armour is " munitions " grade so the finish will at times still show hammer marks but it good and usable functional armour that people who joust and stuff seem to like, but no high polish or special finish on the standard product. If Allan is willing to do semi-custom work is something I can't tell you for sure but he tends to avoid custom work in favour of keeping his stock available " now " rather than months or years from now. Wink

3. Typically the turn around time is how fast the shipper is in getting it to you as far as the standard catalogue of product is concerned: I have always gotten everything I have ordered in the past within 10 days unless it was something semi customized.

Again, if you have questions Allan can be trusted to tell you what it is with zero. B.S. and has been known to give referrals to other makers if it's something he can't promise to do in a timely manner or something that someone else can do better.

I've been a repeat customer of Allan for at least 3 or 4 years now and have always gotten great customer service.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Fri 06 Feb, 2009 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Jean. It was just what I was looking for! Big Grin
J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to second Jean Thibodeaus' comments. Allan has always answered phone calls. The customer service is superb. I have always had a quick shipment on orders place. If i have had any questions regarding his armor, Allan has provided great information to answer my questions. I have always been pleased with armor from him and look forward to ordering more pieces from him.
Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Third. Allan is great to work with, is fast, reliable and produces exactly what he says he is going to make.

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fourth...I love the armour. It has a "feel" to it that you dont get with alot of munitions armours. Not to mention the articulation is far better than I have experianced with any other armour in the same price range. One last thing , Allan's customer service and turn around time is near epic.
Bill Sahigan

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

5th.

Getting most of my harness from him. While he doesn't do fitting and usually doesn't do custom work, he will try to accommodate you. I had long and skinny arms and he tweaked his 'standard' model to fit. nice chap. you won't regret getting stuff from him.
Michael R. Black

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: 6th         Reply with quote

I bought a harness for wearing. I have never fought in it, and it is the first armor I have owned (other than a few helmets and some gauntlets from other makers). Therefore, I cannot comment much as to how MT stacks up to other makers in terms of use for actual sparring, historical accuracy, etc. I can definitively say I've been very happy with their products, and the cost was within my range.

MT has really great customer service, and i would happily deal with them again for future purchases. Alan was able to widen up my breast and back plates a bit after I gained 20 too many pounds around my middle (curse you, graduate school!).

Best,

Michael

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Some questions about Mercenary's Tailor armor...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic