Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > sabre hilt pattern Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: sabre hilt pattern         Reply with quote

Hello,

i'm looking for a new hilt for my practice sabre,

i believe that a simple sheet guard like the swedish cavalry pattern or the spanish infantry officer of the late 19th century ,are not too difficult to make by myself.

could someone give me some complete measurements of an hilt like that or better a pattern?

thanks for help

gabriele
Kjell Magnusson

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not quite the same, but if there's interest I could take some rough measurements on the guard of my Swedish naval cutlass m/1849.

As for the Swedish cavalry swords such as the m/1893, then I seem to recall hearing that it's been inspired by an Austrian pattern, so perhaps you could find something looking for that.

Attachment: 96.2 KB
hjalt.jpg
m/1849 hilt

Attachment: 76.64 KB
1893.jpg
m/1893 hilt
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: sabre hilt pattern         Reply with quote

Hello Kjell,

i will appreciate if you could give me the measurements of your cutlass, it could help me .

i'll try to follow your advice regarding the austrian cavalry hilt, it look pretty good for my project.

thanks

Gabriele
Kjell Magnusson

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let's see here then, hopefully this image will be understandable. All measurements in mm.

For the two main discs, the measurements have been done in a straight line. They are both dished to a depth of ca 10mm, and if one measures along the curve the width and length is in both cases ca 5mm longer than this. The dishing isn't entierly uniform, the "ear" have been bent a bit extra towards grip, so it's a bit shallower in the up-down direction (in this image).

The rounded part at the bottom basically just follows the profile of the grip, as seen in the photograph I posted above.

Measuring with a normal ruler the thickness of the metal appears to be 1mm, possibly a bit more.

I'm also attaching a side view of the hilt to show the shape it's been bent into.

Attachment: 5.16 KB
m1849.gif
Measurements

Attachment: 81.43 KB
huggare.jpg
Side view
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: sabre hilt pattern         Reply with quote

Kjell,

thank you very much for posting it, it's very helpfull

Gabriele
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kjell,
Your cutlass is interesting. The hilt looks like that of the British P1804 cutlass.

Jonathan
Kjell Magnusson

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
Kjell,
Your cutlass is interesting. The hilt looks like that of the British P1804 cutlass.

Jonathan

It's the same sword, one of three British patterns bought by Sweden. We also bought 4000 each of the 1796LC, which ended up as the m/1808 for artillery, and the 1796HC, which was designated the m/1808 for heavy cavalry, earlier in the 19th century. These were both bought as an emergency order (we needed a lot of swords in a hurry). I don't think anyone is quite sure why we bought the P1804 though.

Despite the navy getting a new model as early as 1851 (an entierly domestic design this time), the m71849 would remain in use with some units into the 20th century. The navy never had much of a budget for melee weapons.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > sabre hilt pattern
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic