Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Acquisition Report (a Lundemo messer!) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael S. Rivet

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: New Acquisition Report (a Lundemo messer!)         Reply with quote

Presenting, for your enjoyment, the newest addition to my collection: a grosse messer or langes messer from the hand of John Lundemo. Photos are a first attempt and therefore lousy, but you get the idea.

The inspiration for this messer came from an original belonging to Peter Grassman. Mr. Grassman was kind enough to provide pictures of it back in 2006, as well as some useful measurements and statistics. In my conversations with Mr. Lundemo, we elected to make some small changes from the original in the dimensions, as well as evening out the spacing between the rivets on the grip and adding the incised lines that make the knuckle guard resemble a leaf.

I ordered the messer with a scabbard, belt, and suspension, none of which are pictured because I'm a goof and forgot, but they show the same level of craftsmanship as the sword itself, which is to say excellent. My wife doesn't usually share my enthusiasm for my collection, but even she loves this piece. It's an instant favorite and one of the gems of my collection.

At some point, hopefully, I'll have the opportunity to take some better pictures as well as some measurements but that gets tricky in my house as the cats like swords almost as much as I do. Soft 'n fluffy doesn't mix well with sharp 'n shiny.

Attachment: 66.28 KB
Messer Full 1.jpg
Grosse Messer full length shot.

Attachment: 120.74 KB
Hilt 1.jpg
The hilt.

Attachment: 21.65 KB
Antique Messer Full 1.jpg
Wide shot of the original.

Attachment: 114.43 KB
Antique Messer Hilt 1.jpg
Hilt of the original.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, wow, that's fantastic! The guard is simply wonderful.

Man, I'm jealous... I like it more than the messer that I got from Odinblades. Happy How's the handling?

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks very interesting, sir, and something based on actual historical photos
needs more attention. I hope you find time to take some solid pics of the
sword's blade as well as rig ... And congrats to you, I know how it feels
receiving a long awaited project !
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Oh, wow, that's fantastic! The guard is simply wonderful.

Man, I'm jealous... I like it more than the messer that I got from Odinblades. Happy How's the handling?
Hi Bill, glad you like it. Yours was taken from a fightbook cartoon, but still came out very close:) I like the blade on yours alot more than this giant steak knife blade, but this one has it's good points too. Surprized I don't get asked for these type swords more they are cool. Just not alot of spooratai available for study I guess. To me the most interesting thing about these swords is the keyed and peened on side guards and peened pomel onto that wide flat tang. It turns out very strong. Oddly, I used to make my very first swords alot like this with rivets everywhere. It is more difficult to make than a regular european broadsword hilt.
I can tell ya the weight is right over 2 lbs and balance is a hair over 3" so it is a very fast sword, the edge geometry has very little appleseed and is made for matt cutting...Thanks Michael for posting pics.
Does anyone here have access to pictures of more examples of old messer's? There has probably been a few threads I missed.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Lundemo wrote:
[Hi Bill, glad you like it. Yours was taken from a fightbook cartoon, but still came out very close:) I like the blade on yours alot more than this giant steak knife blade, but this one has it's good points too.

Oh, don't get me wrong: I love mine. Happy I'm just always jealous of nice messers. They're one of my favorite weapons, both in use and in form.

Quote:
Does anyone here have access to pictures of more examples of old messer's? There has probably been a few threads I missed.

There have been quite a number of threads in the past that you can search for which have messers. Also, in the "Albums" section of this site, visit the "Various European curved-blade swords" section, which has several (plus many other beautiful swords):

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/thumbnails.php?album=40

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Michael S. Rivet

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Handles like a dream. Almost literally; it feels like there's nothing in my hand at all it's so light and well-balanced.

I actually liked this design specifically because it's such an unusual blade shape. A fillet knife or boning knife rather than a cleaver. Really makes it stand out in the collection.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Acquisition Report (a Lundemo messer!)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic