Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Suggestions, Requests and Support > Any chances for a Historical Martial Arts forum? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
R. Laine

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Any chances for a Historical Martial Arts forum?         Reply with quote

I understand it propably would be a bit outside myArmoury's area of focus, but has creating a forum for discussing historical weapon-related martial arts ever been considered? Such discussions don't quite seem to fit within Historical Arms Talk, and Off-Topic isn't exactly centered around the subject either.

I believe some fairly interesting discussions might ensue, especially between practioners of Japanese martial arts and those practising European ones. Also, given the usually very academic nature of the discussions that take place here, it might even be possible to cover some of the old questions (edge vs. flat parries and whatnot) civilly, if they were to rise again.

As far as I know, all of the similar forums out there deal primarily with swordplay, so it'd be very interesting to be able to discuss the techniques of other weapons as well.

Best wishes,
Rabbe
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I´d like to see these discussions at the Historical Arms forum!
It would be very interesting to read about the study of the use of these weapons alongside threads of the weapons themselves.
I do not think it would distract, rather invite reflections from both "sides": collectors/makers and collectors/practitioners (may be even the odd maker/practitioner as well...)

Personally I would much welcome discussions reflecting the various functional aspects of historical swords(and weapons) from an martial arts perspective.
That would provide a reference when aspects like Functionality and Performance are discussed. Without a historical perspective of the actual use and intended function of the weapons, these aspects are easily taken out of context.
R. Laine

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A good point. However, the description of Historical Arms Talk goes like this: "Discussions of reproduction and authentic historical arms and armour from various cultures and time periods". Martial arts -related discussions seem to be a bit off-topic, at least to me. Of course, if the description could be changed somewhat... *g*

Rabbe
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Peter, and in fact, there have been a few small discussions of martial arts related questions in the past.

I personally like that we have so few forums here. It really brings the knowledge pool together. I know on other forums I tend to only go to cerain areas because that's where my main interest lies, but here I read the majority of posts and I learn a lot more.

If you've got martial arts questions, I'd say just post them! That way we can start encouraging those kinds of topics! (I'm a WMArtist myself, and would love to get some good discussions going!)
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree!
Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jun, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are several such fora around, and while the inclusion of a martial arts forum has been discussed within the myArmoury team, it is up to Nathan whether such a forum should be added. So far, we have agreed that the focus should be on the weapons and armour themselves, and not interpretations of their use. Nothing is set in stone, though.
My sword site
R. Laine

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jun, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
I agree with Peter, and in fact, there have been a few small discussions of martial arts related questions in the past.

I personally like that we have so few forums here. It really brings the knowledge pool together. I know on other forums I tend to only go to cerain areas because that's where my main interest lies, but here I read the majority of posts and I learn a lot more.

If you've got martial arts questions, I'd say just post them! That way we can start encouraging those kinds of topics! (I'm a WMArtist myself, and would love to get some good discussions going!)

Well, if it has been done in the past without people getting banned, I think I'll take the risk...

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
There are several such fora around, and while the inclusion of a martial arts forum has been discussed within the myArmoury team, it is up to Nathan whether such a forum should be added. So far, we have agreed that the focus should be on the weapons and armour themselves, and not interpretations of their use. Nothing is set in stone, though.

Okay. However, as far as I know, there is not a single forum in the 'net for discussing other European martial arts than swordplay.

I prefer the smaller number of forums myself, but martial arts -related topics seemed slightly off-topic for the Historical Arms Talk forum to me.

Rabbe
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jun, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rabbe Jan-Olof Laine wrote:

Okay. However, as far as I know, there is not a single forum in the 'net for discussing other European martial arts than swordplay.

Rabbe

How about: www.thearma.org/forum/ubbthreads.php ???
R. Laine

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jun, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:

Of course, I had forgotten about the ARMA forums altogether. However, I believe there are some who would prefer to discuss WMA in an environment unaffected by some of the sword-political issues of the past. Besides, ARMA's forums are (quite logically) mainly populated by ARMA members, and it'd be nice to be able to discuss things with people from other organisations as well.

Best wishes,
Rabbe
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jun, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rabbe Jan-Olof Laine wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:

Of course, I had forgotten about the ARMA forums altogether. However, I believe there are some who would prefer to discuss WMA in an environment unaffected by some of the sword-political issues of the past. Besides, ARMA's forums are (quite logically) mainly populated by ARMA members, and it'd be nice to be able to discuss things with people from other organisations as well.

Best wishes,
Rabbe

ARMA has a zero tolerance policy for any kind of non-scholarly, off topic writings that even remotely borders on WMA politics. This is a dead horse that really doesn't need to be beaten upon any more, but I have seen plenty of non-ARMA people been treated just as good as any ARMA member on our forum. So I think that the concern you harbored might be a little superflous.

Best regards,
R. Laine

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jun, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:

ARMA has a zero tolerance policy for any kind of non-scholarly, off topic writings that even remotely borders on WMA politics. This is a dead horse that really doesn't need to be beaten upon any more, but I have seen plenty of non-ARMA people been treated just as good as any ARMA member on our forum. So I think that the concern you harbored might be a little superflous.

Best regards,

I am sorry if I came across as if I had something against ARMA; I participate on the fora myself and was discussing forming a study group with mr. Clements some time ago. What I meant to say was that some people's relations with ARMA aren't very good. While they propably would be treated like everyone else on the forums by most, some of them might still find it a bit uncomfortable.

Sincerely,
Rabbe
Carl Massaro

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
However, as far as I know, there is not a single forum in the 'net for discussing other European martial arts than swordplay.

There is a historical martial arts forum on the www.mma.tv website. It is dedicated to armed and unarmed historical combat from any culture.

Go to www.mma.tv and under "general forums" you will see "history". Check it out.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan and I discussed this in detail before adding these fora to myArmoury.

Our opinion was, and still is, that there are other sites dedicated to the martial aspect of our hobby. We felt that there was a void in the on-line community, in that there really wasn't a site that focused specifically on the collecting of modern replica arms. This is the area that we decided to set our sites on and so far we've maintained that focus. While most of us have at least a modicum of interest in the martial side of our hobby the reality is that there are far more collectors out there than there are practioners. (Although I personally feel that it's vital to have at least a basic understanding of a swords use, otherwise a true understanding isn't possible.)

Other sites have tried to be a catch all to the community and have simply lost their focus. This is something that we're committed to avoiding. I agree with Peter when he says that these martial related discussions are important. As myArmoury now stands these discussions are very welcome, and depending on their scope and detail they belong in either the Historic forum or the Off Topic forum. (I think a lot of people see the OT forum as some kind of trash pile that doesn't have relevant conversation. untrue)

So post your discussions on either one of these forums. Since we don't have a plethora of Fora they all get about the same amount of traffic, so your post won't get lost. If we think it needs to be moved we'll move it. And don't worry, nobody gets banned for that kind of stuff around here Wink

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
R. Laine

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl Massaro wrote:
There is a historical martial arts forum on the www.mma.tv website. It is dedicated to armed and unarmed historical combat from any culture.

Go to www.mma.tv and under "general forums" you will see "history". Check it out.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Nathan and I discussed this in detail before adding these fora to myArmoury.

Our opinion was, and still is, that there are other sites dedicated to the martial aspect of our hobby. We felt that there was a void in the on-line community, in that there really wasn't a site that focused specifically on the collecting of modern replica arms. This is the area that we decided to set our sites on and so far we've maintained that focus. While most of us have at least a modicum of interest in the martial side of our hobby the reality is that there are far more collectors out there than there are practioners. (Although I personally feel that it's vital to have at least a basic understanding of a swords use, otherwise a true understanding isn't possible.)

Other sites have tried to be a catch all to the community and have simply lost their focus. This is something that we're committed to avoiding. I agree with Peter when he says that these martial related discussions are important. As myArmoury now stands these discussions are very welcome, and depending on their scope and detail they belong in either the Historic forum or the Off Topic forum. (I think a lot of people see the OT forum as some kind of trash pile that doesn't have relevant conversation. untrue)

So post your discussions on either one of these forums. Since we don't have a plethora of Fora they all get about the same amount of traffic, so your post won't get lost. If we think it needs to be moved we'll move it. And don't worry, nobody gets banned for that kind of stuff around here Wink

Okay, thanks.

Oh, and I wasn't exactly being serious when making that comment about banning... *g*
Norman Kidd

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rabbe,

You may also want to check out www.swordforum.com for another site with WMA subjects.

Norman E. Kidd
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Patrick. Just read the "About myArmoury " link to get a good understanding of this site
I'm not so much a practioner as a collector and for me that's what makes this place so grand. Do dabble a bit, but gaining knowledge of the weapons and their history is of great importance. I always leave here feeling that I've truly "learned" something, which I think says a lot for Nathan & crew and the forumites.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Cheers,

William
aka Bill
Shane Smith

PostPosted: Sun 17 Oct, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Since we don't have a plethora of Fora they all get about the same amount of traffic, so your post won't get lost. If we think it needs to be moved we'll move it. And don't worry, nobody gets banned for that kind of stuff around here Wink

I think Patrick really nailed this. There can indeed be so many choices available that non-enthusiasts are overwhelmed and simply choose not to choose. Focused discussion brings about focused debate in my opinion and experience. Unduly diffused content breeds confusion and frustration.Frustrated people don't stay around for long...

Shane Smith
ARMA~ Virginia Beach

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Suggestions, Requests and Support > Any chances for a Historical Martial Arts forum?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic