Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Play and movement in sword hilt components. Newbie Question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lance Higgins

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jun, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Play and movement in sword hilt components. Newbie Question         Reply with quote

I received my Kragehul sword from Albion today and straight out of the box I found there to be slight play in the guard and pommel. Has anyone experienced this with an Albion product before? Is this to be expected in a hand made sword? Am I correct in assuming that something like this will only get worse with test cutting? I also feel that the hilt components themselves are far rougher in finish than they appear in the photos on the websight. Has anyone had a similar experience or am I expecting too much perfection in a handmade sword?
Shawn Mulock

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jun, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll be honest, I have not had the good fortune of having owned a piece by Albion (maybe in the next couple of years...). However, I have every confidence that they good folks at Albion will be more than happy to help you resolve this problem. From what I have seen of them here, they are courteous, professional and dedicated to their bread and butter (customers). While I only own two swords right now (1 Lutel 15010 & 1 Heimrich Armourers Fechtbuch sword) I have not had any trouble with loose furniture.
"It is not what you have, but what you have done".
Lance Higgins

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jun, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Play and movement in hilt components.         Reply with quote

I am sure they will take care of it, they seem very nice and have great customer service. This is the second sword I have purchased from them. The first was very beautiful and well made. I just did not expect to have the Pommel and guard to have any movement and the Silicon bronze of the hilt to already be turning green straight out of the box on this one. I have twelve swords from various companies but this is only my second time around with Albion.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jun, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Play and movement in hilt components.         Reply with quote

Lance Higgins wrote:
I am sure they will take care of it, they seem very nice and have great customer service. This is the second sword I have purchased from them. The first was very beautiful and well made. I just did not expect to have the Pommel and guard to have any movement and the Silicon bronze of the hilt to already be turning green straight out of the box on this one. I have twelve swords from various companies but this is only my second time around with Albion.

I am not the best one to answer this, as I am based in Sweden and only work as the designer of some of the swords made by Albion. I write this as most at Albion are now focused on the blade show in Atlanta over the weekend and might miss your post here on the forum.
It sounds like your sword has had a rough time reaching you. Perhaps it has been subject to severe humidity or salty atmosphere, causing the bronze to corrode. That might also explain the loose hilt components.

When Mike returns after the blade show (on monday, I think) I am sure he will assist in putting things right. The best you can do is writing directly to Albion with any questions about this or other proucts in the line.

Hope you do not feel too disappointed about this sad event. It is most unfortuante.
I feel confident the folks at Albion will do everything in their power to see you get satisfaction in this matter.
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jun, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Play and movement in sword hilt components. Newbie Quest         Reply with quote

Lance Higgins wrote:
I received my Kragehul sword from Albion today and straight out of the box I found there to be slight play in the guard and pommel. Has anyone experienced this with an Albion product before? Is this to be expected in a hand made sword? Am I correct in assuming that something like this will only get worse with test cutting? I also feel that the hilt components themselves are far rougher in finish than they appear in the photos on the websight. Has anyone had a similar experience or am I expecting too much perfection in a handmade sword?

The simple answer -- no, that's not acceptable. We will make it right. Sometimes when a sword leaves here it may seem tight, but the jostling in shipping will expose a flaw like that.

We have had some problems with the Kragehul castings and are in the process of a redesign, but there is still no reason whay the hilt should be loose at all. Thanks for bringing it to our attention -- simply return it and we will fix it and give you a little something to make up for the inconvenience.

(Thanks for jumping in, Peter -- I didn't see this until just now.)

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Lance Higgins

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jun, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Play and movement in sword hilt components         Reply with quote

Thank you Gentlemen for answering my questions. As a lifelong gun enthusiast and weekend firearms instructor, I have gotten used to the precision machining of my higher end firearms. I was seeking advice from those more knowledgeable than myself as a beginning sword collector to make sure I wasn't having unrealistic expectations or operating under any misconceptions about the fit and finish on a hand made sword. I wasn't completely sure whether or not a certain amount of play is safe in a sword I intend on test cutting with extensively. I am learning as fast as I can but unfortunately right now I have more cash than knowledge and my collection is growing a little faster than my learning curve. I appreciate your taking the time to acknowledge my questions. I am looking forward to getting this sword taken care of and have nothing but praise for my first Albion purchase ( it is beautiful). I do not wish to give the impression that I am unhappy with Albion as a whole, I just had a few misgivings about this particular piece. Your customer service is wonderful and I look forward to ordering the Mainz that I discussed with Mike through email two weeks ago when he returns on Monday and I can speak with him in person. Once again thank for your answers and have an excellent weekend.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Play and movement in sword hilt components. Newbie Question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic