Go to page Previous  1, 2

Here's the really long saxon-esque dagger. It's also in the Museum fur Deutsche Geshichte.

Attachment: 10.32 KB
long saxon.jpg

Interesting ricasso on that one.

M.
Nathan, the stacked discs material to construct the hilt of your antique stilleto was very fashionable in Spain in the 18th and 19th centuries. Most examples i've seen lack any real quillons and are what amounts to an ice pick as there is no real guard. The handles on that type tend to be five or six sided. It is possibly Italian as the stilleto continued in use in both regions until well into the 19th century.

There is an offhand chance that it is Victorian and by this I don't mean a reproduction. IT became quite fashionalbe as well as practicle in the big cities of England to carry a variety of weapons, mostly but not exclusively edged. Small dirks and daggers that ladies could coneal in thier hand muffs, larger knives and sword canes and small concealable ( sometimes folding) singleshot pistols and revolvers for gentlelman, big Bowie types and clubs for the roughs. Depending on your stilletto's dimentions its just possilbe it could be from that era as well, althought the hilt construction makes me think Spain 19th century.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: