Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arije? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Steven Reinhart

PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Arije?         Reply with quote

I'm a relatively new member and this is my first post. I hope I am not breeching any forms of etiquette unbeknownst to me.

I have recently been poring over some lists of sword types and have seen the "arije" popping up form time to time. However, I have been unable to locate any images or details about it on the internet, save for the fact that it is a type of two-handed sword.

Has anybody ever heard of this weapon or know anything else about it?

Thanks in advance.
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to myArmoury. I cannot find an "arije" in any of my own books or resources. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but if it does, it seems to be either very esoteric or else a foreign-language term (Dutch? no luck in online dictionaries) for something with a common English name.

[Update: "uva arije" is apparently Spanish for black grape... yeah, I got nothing.]

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
James Head

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Lebec wrote:

[Update: "uva arije" is apparently Spanish for black grape... yeah, I got nothing.]

Maybe a particular shape of the pommel?
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Where does the term appear? In other words, what kind of lists are those that include the term? If they come from fantasy role-playing games (especially online games), there's a distinct likelihood that the "arije" or whatever is just a fictional type that gets copied over from game to game. The most substantial piece of information I've been able to find about it ( http://campaign.thismindofmine.com/equip.html ) certainly appears to stem from a fantasy RP project.

(Interestingly, the word arije is the plural of arija, which means "aria" (I presume the operatic sort) in some Yugoslavian languages.)
James Head

PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
The most substantial piece of information I've been able to find about it ( http://campaign.thismindofmine.com/equip.html ) certainly appears to stem from a fantasy RP project.

Oh jeez... Worried

I thought we were talking about real swords. Please check your list sources before asking where you can find more info on a 'Dire Blade' or 'Grieve Edge' etc...
Steven Reinhart

PostPosted: Sat 13 Dec, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

sorry for the late reply.

haha, no, no. the lists where i had seen it popping up on were "seemingly" legitimate enough weapon compendiums. certainly nothing game/fantasy related as the link you provided above.

for example:

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/List-of-swords

seems safe to assume that all of the swords in this list are legitimate, giving that all of the others check out and the "popular culture" swords are listed separately at the bottom. the "arije" that i was originally inquiring about can be found under the two-handed swords section of the europe category, but unfortunately, as i said, this is all that i have been able to find. i appreciate your efforts though.
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Sun 14 Dec, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh. That one seems to be a straight rip-off of a Wikipedia article ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Types_of_swords ), and I've asked about the "arije" thing on the discussion page but received no responses. If there's no further information in a week or two I'll probably just go and delete the line.

(Even if it was a real sword, I suspect it's the name of one specific sword rather than an entire type of swords, so it belongs in a different section altogether.)
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As expected, my inquiry got no response whatsoever, which strengthens the suspicion that the "sword" type in discussion is entirely fictional. I've deleted the line from the Wikipedia article altogether.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arije?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic