Crossguard and pommel typology
In the opinion of this community, what is the best presented source of information on the typologies regarding the crossguard and pommel for medieval (and earlier) swords? I know one exists, but the name of the typologies elude me at the moment. While a Google search turns up a good amount of data, is there one "grand" source on the wide internet that the members here use? I've not given the subject any thought, and while I'm memorizing the Oakeshott and Peterson typologies, I might as well include those.

M.
Ewart Oakeshott's typology is likely the most complete and widely referenced source for medieval work. Have you seen our article that covers it in detail?

[ Linked Image ]
Oakeshott: The Man and his Legacy
An article by myArmoury.com

Alfred Geibig did work for Viking Age weapons:

[ Linked Image ]
The Sword Typology of Alfred Geibig
An article by Christopher L. Miller

R.E.M. Wheeler did work for Viking Age weapon typology too. You also mentioned Jan Petersen's Work.

A. V. Norman cataloged many things for post-medieval weaponry including hilt forms, pommels, crosses, etc, in his book The Rapier & Small-Sword: 1460-1820:

[ Linked Image ]
Crossguard and pommel typology is actually included in Oakeshott, see http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_oakeshott3.html onwards. I doubt another popular typology exists for medieval swords...

Edit: Well Nathan beat me to the punch with a far more comprehensive post :)
I was under the impression that someone else had done pommels and that Oakeshott was a blade oriented typology.

M.
M. Eversberg II wrote:
I was under the impression that someone else had done pommels and that Oakeshott was a blade oriented typology.

M.

Please read the article for a discussion of Oakeshott's typologies. :)

Oakeshott's blade typology is the most referred to of his typologies, but it's one part of a whole-sword classification system, including typologies for guard and pommel and a discussion of grips. The three typologies (blade, guard, pommel) are meant to work together to help classify a sword. Most people stop at the blade typology.

He also made a typology for impact weapons that's little-referred-to.
Our hands-on reviews also reference Oakeshott's typology for blades, pommels, and grips when appropriate.

Take for example the Albion Kingmaker sword:

[ Linked Image ]

Oakeshott Type XVIII blade:

[ Linked Image ]

Oakeshott Type K pommel:

[ Linked Image ]

Oakeshott Style 9 guard:

[ Linked Image ]

This all comes into play and defines a sword of Oakeshott Family F:
[ Linked Image ]

Oakeshott Family F is described as:

Oakeshott refers to swords of this family as the "epitome of the medieval sword," noting that it defines the archetype of the knightly sword's form. The popularity of this sword spans from circa 1410 through perhaps 1550. The short hilt is accompanied by a long down-sloping cross of complex cross-section with a well-defined ecussion at its center point.
Chad Arnow wrote:

...to the point that I can't find it (please Chad, please)...
Fabrice Cognot wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:

...to the point that I can't find it (please Chad, please)...

It's in his European Weapons and Armour: From the Renaissance to the Industrial Revolution.
Heh. Thanks Chad, and silly me. The one I lost when moving house (among other things). I should have proceeded by elimination.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: