Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Good entry level basket hilt? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Sat 29 May, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Good entry level basket hilt?         Reply with quote

After seeing Rob Roy for the first time (yes, it's cold under those rocks on the moon) I have become interested in getting a basket hilt claymore. Armour Class is a bit expensive for me (plus the wait time). I just wanted to see if anyone could reccommend a good entry level BH. MRL baskets are not entry level, those are pretty low. I used to have their Culloden.
How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 29 May, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out this link,:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1489

Basically? Cold Steel or Paul Chen/Hanwei are about it in your range....

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 30 May, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am in the process of writing a review for the baskethilt from Alchem Incorporated, a small operation in Ohio that makes some very good fencing blades.

Now, I didn't order mine from Alchem; I bought it from my fencing instructor, and he told me that the wait was roughly a few months (but this was some months ago that he ordered it, when the sword was new...things may have improved since then).

Basically, it's a baskethilt was a flexible and blunted sidesword blade and a somewhat conical pommel (which I'm not too crazy about). But for ~$160, it's quite nice. It balances very good, and feels very nice when swinging it about.

Here are some pictures:

Attachment: 118.56 KB
2004_0516Image0075.JPG

Attachment: 118.74 KB
2004_0516Image0077.JPG

Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards the Hanwei broadsword (2002). Raysking grip is the reason. I am used to heavier handling swords, does anyone know how much these blades weigh at? Their listed weights (over 5 pounds) are usually shipping weights, not the weight of the swords. There's no way my Godfred weighs 3lb 6oz as they have it listed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
David Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Justice wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards the Hanwei broadsword (2002). Raysking grip is the reason. I am used to heavier handling swords, does anyone know how much these blades weigh at? Their listed weights (over 5 pounds) are usually shipping weights, not the weight of the swords. There's no way my Godfred weighs 3lb 6oz as they have it listed.

Yeah, that has to be the shipping weight. The Hanwei broadsword weighs about 3 lbs even, IIRC, based on my own observations.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had an old MRL Culloden. That sword completely turned me off to basket hilts. If the Hanwei one weighs even slightly less than that one, I'll love it. Might even blue the hilt too.

The Armour Class Early Basket looks very nice too. My favorite is the Diamond, though that one is expensive. Double fullers... gotta get me some of that.

David Wilson wrote:
Aaron Justice wrote:

Yeah, that has to be the shipping weight. The Hanwei broadsword weighs about 3 lbs even, IIRC, based on my own observations.

Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Justice wrote:

Hi Aaron,

To echo David Wilson, my own 2002 weighs in at 3lbs 1oz-2oz on a fish-scale. Technically, it weighs in at 3lbs 1oz after settling, but it doesn't take much to nudge it to 3lbs 2oz and I haven't yet bothered to use a postal scale to settle the matter.

You get a lot for the price in terms of handling and overall feel, but my one big complaint was actually the handle. The rayskin (simulated, or the thinnest rayskin I've ever seen) is fine, but the actual shape of the handle doesn't provide for good control. I still think it's worth the price, but I've long planned to redo the handle.

YMMV,

M.

"In the fight between you and the world, back the world." - Kafka

"Neither flesh, nor fowl, nor good red-herring..."

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Good entry level basket hilt?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic