Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help With Sword from Afghanistan Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bryan Daniel Lowery

PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Help With Sword from Afghanistan         Reply with quote

Sword from Afghanistan

I found this sword while I was serving in Qandahar Afghanistan in 2003. It has arabic writings on one side and chinese writing on the other. I have never been able to identify this sword and would appreciate any assistance any one may be able to give me in this endeavor. At the time a translator told me the arabic writing was a date, 1923 I think it was. I have photos of the sword just follow the link.

http://www.landlphotography.net/index5.htm

Thanks,
Bryan

Attachment: 148.51 KB
[ Download ]
Bryan Daniel Lowery

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Russian Imperial officer's sword???         Reply with quote

I have located a sword that looks similar to my sword. (w133. Russian Imperial officer's sword) If any one has any ideas of what sword this is or where I cold fined the info pleas let me know.

Thanks,

Bryan
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can't really help you with specifics but the style of sword is late European rather than local or traditional sword but somewhat Europeanized armies would adopt western style gear but with local inscriptions or decorations.

Decoration might be done locally ? Just speculation though and mostly just welcoming you to the site until someone with more useful knowledge post a reply. Big Grin

( Sometimes it takes a few days before someone with the knowledge you are looking for comes across your question ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jeff Demetrick

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Bryan,

Interesting piece. It does appear to be have been made from a number of Russian M1841 Dragoon officer's sabers (and there later modified versions). It appears to be a composite with a rewrap grip. The blade appears to have been etched locally. On the blade you can see an etching of the Mazar-i-Sharif arsenal which is in Northern Afghanistan..The date is 1312 Hijri which converts to 1894 C.E.. The number 287 can also be seen. I have no idea of the other inscriptions which appear to all be Arabic.

Nice piece
Jeff
Daniel Prendergast

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,
This might not be a lot of help, but the characters on the outside of the ricasso appear to me to be in Tibetan or a related script, while those on the outside look vaguely like Bengali script. Needless to say I can read neither!
-Dan
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Prendergast wrote:
Hi,
This might not be a lot of help, but the characters on the outside of the ricasso appear to me to be in Tibetan or a related script, while those on the outside look vaguely like Bengali script. Needless to say I can read neither!
-Dan

This sword may have had an interesting history and been passed from hand to hand and acquired new inscriptions at different times ..... interesting puzzle.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bryan Daniel Lowery

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all for the help. I will keep looking for the answers. The truth is out there.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help With Sword from Afghanistan
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic