Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New sword, Type XII Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 23 Dec, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: New sword, Type XII         Reply with quote

Here is a sword that I just finished up and wanted to share with everyone. For this piece I forged out a blank from L6 and ground it to an Oakeshott Type 12. Due to profiling several times to get my edge nice and straight I believe that the blade is a little bit more narrow then most Type XII’s but it is still well within the realm of function and balances very well. For my hilt components I drew my inspiration from XII.8 on page 74 from Medieval Records. The pommel seemed kind of unique to me in that it has what looks like a slightly rounded section raised in the middle and it looks like the faces are slightly concave. The pommel type drawings of the type F show it a little more diamond shaped then the more square like shape seen in the original that I am referring to, so I decided to blend the raised rib in the middle, diamond profile and concave sides for the pommel. The cross guard was pretty straight forward so I tried to keep to the original shape the best I could while balancing out the blade. For my general/starting point measurements for my hilt components I did a proportion equation with the given blade length and measuring the pictures actual blade length and my blades length. I am asking $1100 for this blade plus shipping. Here are some stats. On the blade:

Overall: 36 7/8”
Blade: 31 1/8”
2” round fuller length: 19”
Width at guard: 2”
Width 2” from tip: 7/8”
Weight: 1.8 lb
CoP: 20” from guard
Balancing Point: 6” from guard

Here are some pictures, enjoy!

Attachment: 94.3 KB
Tip and end of fuller [ Download ]

Attachment: 144.85 KB
Fitting and guard [ Download ]

Attachment: 101.15 KB
Hilt [ Download ]

Attachment: 137.8 KB
overall shot [ Download ]
Scott Kowalski

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 23 Dec, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is great looking Michael. I especially like the use of the non-standard pommel. It looks like a key shaped one to me. I really like the work that you are turning out. Keep them coming.

Scott

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New sword, Type XII
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic