Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Thanks Aaron,
that was all I needed. I will order one today... :)
:D Hi guy's!
21min to watch, Behind ARN - Kingdom at the end of the road :cool:
i want this movie with english subtitles :mad: lol
Hello
Has there been any news, as to when this DVD,will be available in the USA? In any language:-)
Thanks
Just a quick note on the blu-ray. It's region free and can be played on an American region A player. That's what I have.
No idea about other language versions though.

/Jonas P
Has anybody in the US ordered this film from overseas? I would like to get it on bluray. If you have ordered it could you post the website where you got it from. I'm finding a lot of illegal downloads but I'd like to buy the official version.
Nathan Keysor wrote:
Has anybody in the US ordered this film from overseas? I would like to get it on bluray. If you have ordered it could you post the website where you got it from. I'm finding a lot of illegal downloads but I'd like to buy the official version.

I want to second this. I'm ready to buy one, too.
As far as I know no dvd or blueray edition with english subtitles have been made yet. That said I have no idea what plans there are for these. Maybe in the near future.
Has anyone seen the second film? If so what were your thoughts?
Thanks,
Dan
Can anybody who has ordered the arn sword and dagger combo give a little feedback on them? I'm especially interested in the dagger. As for the sword, I'm familiar with albion's knight, can anyone offer a comparison?

Cheers!
Hey Taylor!

The sword of Arn is similar in heft to the Gaddhjalt. They share the same blade and the pommels have similar weights. The sword of Arn might be a tad more responsive. The grip with its three risers proved a more firm grip. This helps in making the sword feel lighter. It does not allow the same freedom of gripping as the grip on the Gaddhjalt, however.

Personally, I will pick the Knight before the sword of Arn when I do cutting demos. That is because the knight does what I want every time.
I have to work with the sword of Arn. This is a personal thing however.
Other who have tried cutting with both of these swords do much better with the Gaddhjalt or the Arn sword, than with the Knight.
It is a long weapon that will want you to use another kind of movement. You cannot force it to cut. Instead it will guide you though the arc of the cut. It has more blade presence and is more "out there". The Knight with turn on a dime and lash out. The Arn sword will sweep in swift and big arcs.

The dagger is a slim weapon with a stiff blade. Its hilt s like a small version of a sword. It is very much inspired by some quillon daggers of the 13th C (one preserved at Skokloster Armoury is the igniting spark, even though the Arn dagger is no exact copy). It has a strong point and sharp edges, allowing for thrusting and cutting about equally.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Peter! How do you think the dagger would go as a companion piece to the longsword you drew up for me?

The dagger is very interesting to me, moreso than the sword. I guess this is because medieval daggers are fairly rare in the production world, and historically accurate ones even rarer. Not to mention that the Arn sword is competing with several other one handed swords I like such as the Oakeshott.

So many swords, so little money. ;)
One question for those who saw the movie

(personaly I didn’t enjoy the movie much. I felt it focussed too much in the setting of the story in Sweden –which makes sense if it is part of a series of movies, I guess- and very little in the crusader part. I thought there was too much cavorting on horse though forest and green hill and very little drama set in the Holy Land and definitely very little fighting. Again just a personal opinion)

Once he gets hold of the sword and dagger set, the main character spends most of his time carrying them around while staying at his family feud. But from what I have seen in this forum, it was not that usual to carry a sword during daily civilian life. Do you know if this is done in the movie for dramatic purposes or if this was actually the custom in that area at that time (although I don’t know the specific history of the area, there seems to be tension between different groups maybe creating a state of tension that would justify having to carry your weapon around all the time)

Thanks
Alfonso Asensio wrote:

(personaly I didn’t enjoy the movie much. I felt it focussed too much in the setting of the story in Sweden –which makes sense if it is part of a series of movies, I guess- and very little in the crusader part. I thought there was too much cavorting on horse though forest and green hill and very little drama set in the Holy Land and definitely very little fighting. Again just a personal opinion)

Once he gets hold of the sword and dagger set, the main character spends most of his time carrying them around while staying at his family feud. But from what I have seen in this forum, it was not that usual to carry a sword during daily civilian life. Do you know if this is done in the movie for dramatic purposes or if this was actually the custom in that area at that time (although I don’t know the specific history of the area, there seems to be tension between different groups maybe creating a state of tension that would justify having to carry your weapon around all the time)

Thanks

The film should not be seen as a truthful rendering of the time period. Some attempts were made for accuracy in isolated details, but overall authenticity to historical reality was not a high priority with the film. Atmosphere and drama is more important than accuracy in details. The visual idea of the costume and set designers have a higher priority that historical and archaeological sources.
Perhaps the fact that this is a unique production from a Swedish perspective, some new priorities were favored in design and setting that sets the film apart from what is normally the case with the genre. I do not know if this makes it any more authentic, though. Another take on the traditional story of the hero and heroine overcoming obstacles to realize their hope and as a by-product changing the world around them.
I was happy to be a small part in the that the swords used for the most part are authentic for the period, except in those cases where the script and scenography demanded swords from the viking age being used. At least those are realistic viking swords, even if you would hardly have seen such weapons in Scandinavia in the 12th and 13th C.
For those who are keen, you might notice the Albion "Stamford" and "Knut" being prominent among scandinavian warriors. These do look a bit "Viking-ish" and also fit the time period pretty well. Norwegian warriors can also be seen favoring the "Berserkr". A good thing, even if a minute detail and naturally a bit anachronistic.
Why do I get all these double posts lately? Sorry about that.

Last edited by Peter Johnsson on Sat 20 Dec, 2008 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Peter Johnsson wrote:
Alfonso Asensio wrote:

Thanks

The film should not be seen as a truthful rendering of the time period. Some attempts were made for accuracy in isolated details, but overall authenticity to historical reality was not a high priority with the film. Atmosphere and drama is more important than accuracy in details. The visual idea of the costume and set designers have a higher priority that historical and archaeological sources.
Perhaps the fact that this is a unique production from a Swedish perspective, some new priorities were favored in design and setting that sets the film apart from what is normally the case with the genre. I do not know if this makes it any more authentic, though. Another take on the traditional story of the hero and heroine overcoming obstacles to realize their hope and as a by-product making a lasting impression on the world around them.
I was happy to be a small part in the that the swords used for the most part are authentic for the period, except in those cases where the script and scenography demanded swords from the viking age being used. At least those are realistic viking swords, even if you would hardly have seen such weapons in Scandinavia in the 12th and 13th C.
For those who are keen, you might notice the Albion "Stamford" and "Knut" being prominent among scandinavian warriors. These do look a bit "Viking-ish" and also fit the time period pretty well. Norwegian warriors can also be seen favoring the "Berserkr". A good thing, even if a minute detail and naturally a bit anachronistic.

I have seen the Gotland and was just going to ask if such swords would still be seen on Scandinavian battlefields of 12th century. :) Well, it doesn't matter, they looked good in the film. :)
So, it this movie finally available in the US? Bluray would be nice....
Im not sure if it is or not....I have a copy on the way from a friend in Serbia...hopefully its visually pleasing, because I wont understand a word of it :lol: An English version will be eagerly awaited.
Actually, I dont believe the movie it is yet available even in most European countries. I just got to see it though coincidence.
I should say that, since most Swedish people seem to be bilingual at least or have a fairly advance knowledge of English, part of the movie is actually in English, I think most of the part in the Holy Land (when Arn is overseas) and those moments when he is talking to “foreigners” are in English (I think about 30% of the movie or so, please correct me if I got that wrong).
It is quite amazing that you can film a movie en two languages and have your audience understanding everything or comfortable enough not to complain. As a Southern European, I have always admired that from the countries in the north of Europe
I got a second part, Kingdom at the road's end, with english subtitles. But I couldn't find the first film with subtitles.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Page 5 of 7

Jump to: