Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Museo Stibbert Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Museo Stibbert         Reply with quote

I had the good fortune to visit the Stibbert Museum in Florence, Italy, in 2007.

http://www.museostibbert.it/

Collection strengths are European, Asian and Near Eastern armour, but "strength" doesn't even begin to describe what you'll find at the museum.

It's not easy to get to but worth the extra effort. Unfortunately, the museum does not allow photography and has no catalog or significant publication. It's a shame, because the collection is amazing and displayed mostly in the open. You can walk around armour, get as close to it as your eyes will focus as it isn't behind glass. It combines the best elements of the Wallace Collection and the Graz Landeszeughaus. I would guess that there are at least five or six rooms dedicated to arms and armour.

I found a couple of videos at YouTube that give some sense of the collection, but don't even hint at its size and variety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lg8uAiWxcg (this is just the main European hall)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEWkvE-Rlog

Don't miss it if you're in the area.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They actually have a decent collection of 280 Japanese swords as well, but unfortunately most are not in prime condition. Last I heard the museum was raising funds to have a number of them polished.

So if you visit, do your part to restore their nihonto! Donate, or go to the gift shop! Wink Razz

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Daniel S.

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I visited that museum in 2006 and was amazed at seing so much armour at one place. It was great to actually get to see some 15th century armour as I have mostly only seen 16th century stuff before. They also had some roman pieces. And for those who like Indian armour, they had a small room full of it. I particularly remember one (or more) mail shirts that had really tiny (butted) rings that resembled fabric. For those who like japanese armour the floor dedicated to it is just packed. Unfortunately I don't know enough to tell if most are from the peace era or not. I believe they had one dô that had a front opening, in addition to the regular side-openings. I wish I had taken some proper notes while there..
Daniel S.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allison Thurman had gotten permission to take photos from the Stibbert in 2008. I asked her if I could share her gallery here, and she approved. She got some very good shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22977163@N08/sets/72157611070890845/

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Museo Stibbert
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic