Go to page Previous  1, 2

I was trying to recall the maker that I'd seen a good array of sallets and kettle helms from... and it finally came to mind.

www.bestarmour.com

I've not dealt with these guys directly, but have friends who have (a couple of years back), and they were very pleased, and the pieces I've seen are pretty nice.

Anyway, check out the helms link, and then both the kettle and sallet links... and they have other periods of history covered as well.
yeah, Milan is nice people. good quality work. not all of them period but well put together nonetheless.
Michael Curl wrote:
I just don't like them, I"m gonna screw history probably and cross 14th century armor with burgonet.

Well, if you're doing 14th century, you likely won't be looking at sallets anyway.

I really don't recommend putting a 16th c. burgonet on a 14th c. harness, unless if you're doing a completely fantasy piece. Imagine if you showed up to work with plaid bell bottoms from the sixties, a brimmed hat from the 1940's, a big, giant 1970's perm, and a modern dress coat and tie. That's all within a century, and you can imagine how goofy that would look. Imagine how funny mixing clothing from two centuries must look. :)
some great stuff, i'm really starting to dig those bellow-faced sallets, would ths be any good or is it just cheap

http://www.medievalware.com/Bellows-Face-Sall...b0343m.htm
I wouldnīt take tis particular helmet it looks just cheap and the proportions donīt look right.
Sorry thought you said you wanted to do 15th or 14th.

Run down on 14th. 14th century you get some pretty neat helmets. Take a look at the Pistoia alter piece (toward the bottom, Eric dates it to 1376 but it began in the 1360s so the armour has to be from before 1376 when it had finished).

http://www.arador.com/articles/spaulders3.html

Take a look at the Charles VI (king, 1380-1422) parade helmet as well. A somewhat awesome helmet for the period from late 14th to early 15th. http://www.louvre.fr/llv/commun/detail_image....eight==654

You basically have all sorts of kettle helmets, bascinets and great helms. You get some very interesting armets late 14th as well.

I agree with Bill. If you are trying for fantasy it is fine to mix and match I suppose.... though they may look odd if not done well but for any amount of historical accuracy mixing that much may turn out not so good.

RPM
Ya, agreed, now i'm thinking of either the bellow-faced sallet or an armet.
you can get a lot of armour related information at armourarchive.com, although it tends to be geared more to the SCA so you get some aberations that are a result of safety concerns
Found this on the armour archive

Guy named hugo makes it http://www.ugoserrano.com/index.html. Thought you'd be interested.
Bill Grandy wrote:
Michael Curl wrote:
I just don't like them, I"m gonna screw history probably and cross 14th century armor with burgonet.

Well, if you're doing 14th century, you likely won't be looking at sallets anyway.

I really don't recommend putting a 16th c. burgonet on a 14th c. harness, unless if you're doing a completely fantasy piece. Imagine if you showed up to work with plaid bell bottoms from the sixties, a brimmed hat from the 1940's, a big, giant 1970's perm, and a modern dress coat and tie. That's all within a century, and you can imagine how goofy that would look. Imagine how funny mixing clothing from two centuries must look. :)

Oh man, I have to agree. (and yeah, my harness isn't quite right yet)

Not just that, but even if you are doing a fantasy piece, you may find that some stuff just doesn't quite fit together right, making it uncomfortable to wear. On the armour archive you'll see stories of guys proclaiming how uncomfortable certain styles of gear are because of how they wear it (hint: it's generally not in a historically accurate manner... they knew what they were doing back in the day)

Personally, I would advise anyone looking to drop some dough on armour to take the time to figure out what exactly they want (fantasy, sport or historical, etc) and find things accordingly. Check out armour styles from the different periods and places (unless this is already constrained... at which point you either go with what is there or drop the historical thing all together), find a single style you like (there are plenty, I am sure you'll find a coherent style that you will like if you look) and build a suit based on that.

Even if you are doing a fantasy piece, choose stuff that goes together (unless you want to look tossed together)! Coherent look goes a long way to making things look good. Smooth lines on some parts with big flutes on others may not look quite right - just as mismatched socks may not.

/rant :p
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: