Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Physical Culture & the study of Martial Arts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
David Black Mastro

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Physical Culture & the study of Martial Arts         Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering how many other practitioners of sword arts here embrace the practices of physical exercise and proper diet. History's warriors naturally made great efforts to keep themselves strong and fit. Our paleolithic ancestors were hardy people who ate unprocessed foods, and got their exercise simply by their day-to-day routine of hunting and gathering. When people began to put down roots and establish settled communities, the concept of Physical Culture was created. The Greeks and Romans were of course known for their Physical Culture. The Greeks in particular put heavy emphasis on athletics, including, of course, martial practices of various types. The Jewish historian Flavius Josephus (aka Joseph Ben-Matthias) observed the rigorous training of the Roman Army. Later, the Roman military writer Vegetius pointed out the desirable physical characteristics for new recruits, and likewise laid out an impressive regimen of physical training.

In the East, we also naturally see a strong emphasis on physical fitness, as demonstrated by martial cultures like the Indians, Chinese, and Japanese. Ayurvedic medicine is one of the very oldest medical traditions, and it was often tied in with the practices of warrior cultures on the Indian subcontinent. The Chinese had their own traditions, with their warrior monks. Different modes of exercise were combined with specific dietary plans.

Speaking of diet, it's interesting to look at the practices of various martial cultures. The Romans had staple grains like wheat and barley, and consumed protein from various vegetable (eg., beans) and animal (eg. pork, chicken, & fish) sources. They also of course made use of olive oil, an excellent source of monounsaturated fats. The Frankish emperor Charlemagne required his subjects to consume flaxseed--an excellent source of dietary fiber and omega-3 essential fatty acids (EFAs). The samurai got plenty of carbs from rice (often consumed in a pre-cooked "instant" form, when on campaign), and lean protein sources like fish (also a source of EFAs), boar, and rabbit.

Durin my own study of various martial arts and combat sports (Western foil & saber fencing, Filipino eskrima, and Brazilian jiu-jitsu), I have striven to improve myself physically, through both diet and exercise. Both my parents suffered from various degenerative diseases common in Western Industrialized Society, like diabetes and congestive heart failure, and I have thus worked to modify my lifestyle (especially through diet), to hopefully avoid those terrible things. Aside from the exercise I get in my chosen martial practices, I also lift kettlebells. I was introduced to kettlebells in 2005, by my friend Carl, and he showed me the basic lifts. I was able to re-hab an old lower back injury, drop some weight, and become far stronger and more explosive. As for diet, I stick with good protein sources (lean beef, bison, chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, & some dairy--esp. fermented types like yogurt & kefir), lots of green leafy vegetables (esp. baby lettuces and baby spinach), cruciferous veggies like broccoli, other veggies like bok choy and napa cabbages, nuts and nut butters (peanut butter, almond butter, etc) & whole grains like brown rice. I also use various dietary supplements, including a multvitamin/multimineral, fish oil capsules, dessicated Argentinian beef liver tablets, brewer's yeast tablets, joint support supplements (eg., glucosamine, chondroitin, MSN, and flaxseed oil), and various "green" supplements (eg., barley grass juice powder & tablets). I avoid sugar, white flour, and other starchy, processed carbs.

I have been strongly influenced by various books and articles on the subjects of diet and exercise, including:

Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price

Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and Mary G. Enig, PhD

The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain, PhD

The Paleo Diet for Athletes by Loren Cordain, PhD and Joe Friel, MS

The Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmekler

The Anti-Estrogenic Diet by Ori Hofmekler and Rick Osborn

Eating Well for Optimum Health by Andrew Weil, MD

The Maker's Diet by Jordan S. Rubin

Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill by Udo Erasmus

The Russian Kettlebell Challenge, Enter the Kettlebell, Beyond Bodybuilding, Superjoints[/i[], and [i]The Naked Warrior, all by Pavel Tsatsouline

The Art and Science of Fencing by Nick Evangelista

Schools and Masters of Fence From the Middle Ages to the Eighteenth Century by Egerton Castle

Broadsword and Singlestick by R.G. Allanson-Winn and C. Phillipps-Wolley

"How to Build Muscle; or, How I Made Myself over into a New Man" by James J. Corbett (available in How to Box, from Paladin Press)

"A Return to Natural Supplementation" by Bill Starr (available in the September 2003 issue of MILO

"Taking Some of the Confusion out of Seafood" by Bill Starr (available in the March 2007 issue of MILO)

"The Secrets of Long Life" by Dan Buettner (available in the November 2005 issue of National Geographic)

How about the rest of you? Does anyone follow any specific regimens of exercise and/or diet?

Stay Strong,

David

"Why meddle with us--you are not strong enough to break us--you know that you have won the battle and slaughtered our army--be content with your honor, and leave us alone, for by God's good will only have we escaped from this business" --unknown Spanish captain to the Chevalier Bayard, at the Battle of Ravenna, 1512
Chris Fields

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great post, we had a topic going like this on another forum i am on, though it's completely different forum all together.

-"and got their exercise simply by their day-to-day routine of hunting and gathering."

Honestly, if you gave a bow or a spear to 90% of our population today, and told them to go hunt, that would probably be more exercise than they get in a entire year these days.

One thing I like to do, and have found quite effective for myself, is alot of gymnastic exerices that develope strenght and flexibility. I use to do gymnastics often, and still do.. though not as often, along with my martial arts. Some of the exercise I love are exercises that involve using the body and it's own weight as the resistance. Things like pull ups, dips, one -legg squats, hand stand push ups, slow motion high kicks, holding low stances for long periods of time, etc... I also love exerices like burpies and just plane jogging and running for cardio. I've been doing these for about 20 years now, and when i got my engineering job, it had me sitting at a desk almost all day, and it was killing me, so I make sure to get back to those exerices daily.

As for diet, that's where I need work. I like what you posted above, and may try to do something similar.
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Fields wrote:
Great post, we had a topic going like this on another forum i am on, though it's completely different forum all together.

-"and got their exercise simply by their day-to-day routine of hunting and gathering."

Honestly, if you gave a bow or a spear to 90% of our population today, and told them to go hunt, that would probably be more exercise than they get in a entire year these days.

One thing I like to do, and have found quite effective for myself, is alot of gymnastic exerices that develope strenght and flexibility. I use to do gymnastics often, and still do.. though not as often, along with my martial arts. Some of the exercise I love are exercises that involve using the body and it's own weight as the resistance. Things like pull ups, dips, one -legg squats, hand stand push ups, slow motion high kicks, holding low stances for long periods of time, etc... I also love exerices like burpies and just plane jogging and running for cardio. I've been doing these for about 20 years now, and when i got my engineering job, it had me sitting at a desk almost all day, and it was killing me, so I make sure to get back to those exerices daily.

As for diet, that's where I need work. I like what you posted above, and may try to do something similar.

Hi Chris,

My hat goes off to you, for the gymnastics. I've always been in awe of the functional strength of gymnasts--the power of their stabilizer muscles is just amazing.

So you don't follow a particular diet?

Best,

David

"Why meddle with us--you are not strong enough to break us--you know that you have won the battle and slaughtered our army--be content with your honor, and leave us alone, for by God's good will only have we escaped from this business" --unknown Spanish captain to the Chevalier Bayard, at the Battle of Ravenna, 1512
Ben C.

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

maintaining a good level of athleticism and fitness and enjoying a high quality of life is very important for me. My dad, brother and uncles were all fairly successful athletes (cycling, rugby, basketball, volleyball, track&field) so I basically grew up around sports and doing physical activity. However in my late teens my weight got out of control (280lbs at my worst) and the desire to avoid ever returning to a position where I lack the fitness to enjoy my life is a major motivation for me to always stay active.

As a junior I played a lot of different sports but after highschool my primary focus was just strength training and martial arts. I tried quite a few different styles but the main ones I've focused on were judo (3 years), BJJ (2 years), wrestling (1 year), and kickboxing (2 years). Of those Judo was probably my main sport; between 01'-03' I competed in Japan and Australia in both local and state competitions. My best result was making it to the Kyushu qualifiers of the All-Japan championships in 2002. I also have some limited competition experience in BJJ and amateur kickboxing but at a much lower level than my judo experience.

I had intended to continue to compete in judo/BJJ and eventually move into MMA but I since I started working in Japan in 2004 it's been increasingly hard to find the time to commute long distance to a good gym. I generally work 9-14 hour shifts up to 6 days a week so that doesn't leave a huge amount of time for other stuff. Therefore I do all my training at home nowadays. I set my apartment up with grappling mats, a boxing bag, a powercage, barbells, dumbells and around 200kg of plates and I generally train 1-2 hours everyday while I'm doing other things like watching TV, using my computer or even cooking.

My training is basically as follows; I do 3 heavy lifting sessions a week focusing on strength. Each session I vary the exercises quite a bit but the basic intention is that by the end of each 3 session cycle I will have done bench presses, back/front squats, deadlifts, military/push presses, weighted dips, weighted chins, bent-over rows, upright rows, power cleans and power snatches all at least once.

On my other 4 'light' training days I focus on fitness, muscle endurance, speed and explosiveness. In the morning I'll do stuff like bodyweight or barbell circuit/complex routines. These are often based on existing training programs or stuff that I've come up with myself. For example sometimes I'll do Javorek complexes (sets of upright rows, high pull snatches, squat presses, good mornings and bent rows for 6 reps each for 30 total reps without putting the bar down) where as other days I might do something like sets of 5 pullups 10 dips and 15 squats with the goal being to complete 20 sets in as short a time as possible. In the evening I'll usually go for a 5-10km run or do hill sprints or sprint intervals. My office is conveniently about 10km from my apartment so occasionally jog home to save time on training.

My diet isn't too special. After spending years competing in weight classes I've got a fair idea of how to control my weight so I just eat clean most of the time. I watch my calorie intake and try to ensure I'm getting enough protein but other than that I just make sure I eat lots of lean beef, chicken, fish, dairy foods, nuts, fruits and vegetables and avoid eating junk food. Right now I'm 210lbs at about 14~15% bodyfat so I'll probably have to lean out a bit if I want to compete at under 200 pounds again.
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've recently begun doing the P90X program which you may have seen on infomercials. It is a pretty rugged course, but keeps up a nice fast pace and is reasonably entertaining. Lots of push up and pull up variations, squats, lunges, core work, plyometrics for explosion, some basic kenpo. I don't really do any martial arts, but I would imagine this program would work quite well, as it focuses not only on muscle building (though it does that too) but also on flexibility and endurance. Takes about an hour to an hour and a half a day, 6 or 7 days a week, but it has been worth it to me so far. I almost find myself looking forward to it, even though I know it is going to kick my butt.

Kenton
Chris Fields

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I don't eat bad, I just don't eat a strict diet. I never needed too before I got the engineering job that puts me a desk for awhile. And since I've been doing more active stuff since I noticed the desk job taking it's toll on me, it's been working, so I haven't thought to change the diet, though it would help alot I think.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The idea of the paleo diet has interested me for some time but I've never tried it. There's another interesting and commonsense three-part idea expressed by science writer Michael Pollan:

Eat food (as opposed to processed food-like substances)
Not much
Mostly plants

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bookroom/2008/01/ea...plant.html

That doesn't incorporate the activity that reflects our evolution, but if one were to combine this with walking, sprinting, swimming, climbing, etc. it seems like it would be a pretty good match to what our bodies are meant to do.

As for the historical aspect--my understanding is that wealthy medieval European men ate LOTS of animal protein. That, coupled with their typical training and leisure activities--vaulting, wrestling, lifting stones, fencing, hunting, etc.--seems to have created very lean and muscular fighters.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Hunter B.

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I lift weights 3 times a week, ride my bike to work (that will stop when I change offices in January, then I'll just walk), walk my dog 3 miles in the morning and evening, and ride a cardio bike 3 other days a week with Sundays as my off day. I cook most things from scratch (minus bread, etc), eat a lot of truly organic meat (lots of venison, dove, and duck), and salads.

A good bit of physical activity keeps me in reasonable shape. Not cut, just solid.

“It is the loose ends with which men hang themselves.”
Stirling Matheson

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I'm a professional ballet dancer, so on an average day I get four hours of throwing myself into the air, two hours of throwing a woman into the air, and the I usually supplement that with an hour or so of yoga or weightlifting or some such, before going home and perhaps messing around with swords.

Just to give you guys an idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owb_Ezc8G70&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktsyc0rf40c

With that kind of exercise, the idea is to eat as much as possible, but to eat high quality. I usually try to eat as much organic food as possible, and keep a high protein, high carb, medium fat intake with as little processed food as possible.

That being said, dance has proven to be a huge asset in learning martial arts. I'm already trained to learn movements, as well as being more stretched out than most martial arts require.

Fac et Spera
Moderator - www.swordwiki.org
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great topic David.

I grew up doing a lot of physical labor and farm work, and was active in sports throughout my youth. I have also spent a lot of time in remote areas of developing countries. To this day I still hold an ideal that your day to day living should provide you with the exercise you need to stay healthy, and that sports are a viable alternative to labor. (I used to swim 6K/day in high school, plus soccer or basketball). As I have gotten older (40) , with a desk job, school, and a toddler I want to spend a lot of time with, I find myself falling short of that ideal. I have tried a number of things, but they all involve a "good enough" approach which combines a good diet, choosing active options where possible (no elevators, don't sit for too long, etc), and some supplementary form(s) of exercise.

Some years ago I tried the "blood type" diet, which I found really helpful at a high level - I'm "O" so it's nearly a paleo diet. I eat mostly vegetables and meat, with very few starchy carbs, and I always feel better when I stick to that. I eat mostly organic food, and as little processed food as possible. This way, on the rare occasions when I have a candy bar or mocha or something I don't even think about it. The more active I am, the less I need to be picky about my diet, but I don't change much since I really like the food I eat and the way it makes me feel. In other words, I don't try to avoid certain foods, because I really enjoy the food that is good for me. "In Defense of Food" is pretty much the philosophy I arrived at on my own, it's nice to see it in a book :-)

I have recently been supplementing with basic exercises for core and muscle maintenance: squats, pushups, back bridges, etc. Under 5 minutes per day still helps a surprising amount, but I am not getting the aerobic exercise I would like. (Remember this is a supplemental regimen, my main exercise still revolves around fencing.) The RCAF had something like this for awhile too, 30 years ago, which I used to use back in high school and college too.

I'm not entirely happy with the level exercise I get now, but frankly I am just not willing to sacrifice too much more of my life to become the level of athlete I used to be. After school is finished (real soon) I'll have more time available, and some of that will go to exercise.

Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Bennison N

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I train every day. I hunt, pigs and deer... I haven't used a firearm to finish prey since 2004. I practice my Kenjutsu and Jianshu for 2 hours every day, as a minimum. I also include at least 2 hours of unarmed training each day. It has become much more difficult to find quality competition (particularly with weapons) here in New Zealand, but I advertise in a nation-wide newspaper, each and every week.

I don't use a specific diet, but intensify training to match my fuel intake. This is the ONLY way I regulate my intake.

And it works. I haven't been beaten in 3 years, armed or not, and I've matched in 7 countries, including China, Korea and Japan, as well as the Phillipines, Indonesia and Australia. This most definitely also includes the United States , where I recommend the documentary "SUPERSIZE ME" as viewing for all...

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:
I train every day. I hunt, pigs and deer... I haven't used a firearm to finish prey since 2004.

Bowhunting, then?

Quote:
And it works. I haven't been beaten in 3 years, armed or not, and I've matched in 7 countries, including China, Korea and Japan, as well as the Phillipines, Indonesia and Australia. This most definitely also includes the United States , where I recommend the documentary "SUPERSIZE ME" as viewing for all...

Supersize Me is definitely very good... and sobering.

David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Myers wrote:
Great topic David.

Thank you.

Quote:
Some years ago I tried the "blood type" diet, which I found really helpful at a high level - I'm "O" so it's nearly a paleo diet. I eat mostly vegetables and meat, with very few starchy carbs, and I always feel better when I stick to that.

What's interesting is that the "Blood Type Diet" isn't actually new; the discovery that optimum diet ran along blood type was first established by the Germans in the 1930s, when they did a two-year experiment with a couple of army units. Also, my mother's cousin's husband was in the Royal Navy in WWII, and he told me that in the German Navy, the operators of range finders followed a special diet to maintain 20/20 vision. And the Royal Air Force apparently first discovered the benefits of billberry for the eyes, when British pilots given billberry jam reported having better night vision.

David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Sat 13 Dec, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben Condon wrote:
maintaining a good level of athleticism and fitness and enjoying a high quality of life is very important for me. My dad, brother and uncles were all fairly successful athletes (cycling, rugby, basketball, volleyball, track&field) so I basically grew up around sports and doing physical activity. However in my late teens my weight got out of control (280lbs at my worst) and the desire to avoid ever returning to a position where I lack the fitness to enjoy my life is a major motivation for me to always stay active.

As a junior I played a lot of different sports but after highschool my primary focus was just strength training and martial arts. I tried quite a few different styles but the main ones I've focused on were judo (3 years), BJJ (2 years), wrestling (1 year), and kickboxing (2 years). Of those Judo was probably my main sport; between 01'-03' I competed in Japan and Australia in both local and state competitions. My best result was making it to the Kyushu qualifiers of the All-Japan championships in 2002. I also have some limited competition experience in BJJ and amateur kickboxing but at a much lower level than my judo experience.

I had intended to continue to compete in judo/BJJ and eventually move into MMA but I since I started working in Japan in 2004 it's been increasingly hard to find the time to commute long distance to a good gym. I generally work 9-14 hour shifts up to 6 days a week so that doesn't leave a huge amount of time for other stuff. Therefore I do all my training at home nowadays. I set my apartment up with grappling mats, a boxing bag, a powercage, barbells, dumbells and around 200kg of plates and I generally train 1-2 hours everyday while I'm doing other things like watching TV, using my computer or even cooking.

Judo, wrestling, & BJJ--now there's three methods that certainly complement each other.

Ben, what kind of wrestling did you do--freestyle, or Greco-Roman?

I've noticed one very interesting thing about grappling training in Russia--if you do judo, you have to also do wrestling, and if you do wrestling, you also have to do judo. That might account (at least in part), why the Russians are so good at both arts, as well as MMA.

Quote:
My training is basically as follows; I do 3 heavy lifting sessions a week focusing on strength. Each session I vary the exercises quite a bit but the basic intention is that by the end of each 3 session cycle I will have done bench presses, back/front squats, deadlifts, military/push presses, weighted dips, weighted chins, bent-over rows, upright rows, power cleans and power snatches all at least once.

On my other 4 'light' training days I focus on fitness, muscle endurance, speed and explosiveness. In the morning I'll do stuff like bodyweight or barbell circuit/complex routines. These are often based on existing training programs or stuff that I've come up with myself. For example sometimes I'll do Javorek complexes (sets of upright rows, high pull snatches, squat presses, good mornings and bent rows for 6 reps each for 30 total reps without putting the bar down) where as other days I might do something like sets of 5 pullups 10 dips and 15 squats with the goal being to complete 20 sets in as short a time as possible. In the evening I'll usually go for a 5-10km run or do hill sprints or sprint intervals. My office is conveniently about 10km from my apartment so occasionally jog home to save time on training.

Sounds like a great routine.

Quote:
My diet isn't too special. After spending years competing in weight classes I've got a fair idea of how to control my weight so I just eat clean most of the time. I watch my calorie intake and try to ensure I'm getting enough protein but other than that I just make sure I eat lots of lean beef, chicken, fish, dairy foods, nuts, fruits and vegetables and avoid eating junk food. Right now I'm 210lbs at about 14~15% bodyfat so I'll probably have to lean out a bit if I want to compete at under 200 pounds again.

Good deal--and good luck, bro.

Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Sun 14 Dec, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, I agree - this is a really good topic.

My diet is nothing special, though I try to moderate my intake and my consumption of processed foods has been dramatically cut back. I wish I could take in more greens, but my digestive system doesn't always react kindly to them.

I work out using primarily body weight calisthenics. I do the 'Royal Court' workout, shown to me by Pete Kautz (though he's not the originator). You assign one of four exercises (usually Hindu squats, cobra-style pushups, crunchs of various flavors, and back bridges) to each of the four suits. Shuffle the deck, then draw cards - you do the number of reps of each exercise type specified by the numerical value of the card (with court cards being 10 reps).

I also use indian clubs, light weights, and work out constantly with a variety of weapons: if I have a free hand, a sword, dagger, or other weapon is quickly in it. I too have a back injury (a moderate to serious one), so I tend to avoid heavy weights.

It's been an interesting challenge this year to remain fit, as this has been a time of transition for my metabolism and other bodily concerns. For the first time, I have to watch my weight a bit now, and the family hereditary asthma finally caught up with me.

I'm particularly keen to get into top condition after the new year as I've committed to a challenge of fighting thirty opponents in commemoration of our Order's impending 30th anniversary this August. That's a lot of sword fights, especially facing younger and faster whippersnappers. Wink

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 14 Dec, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Over the years, I have worked to keep myself in moderate shape - which sometimes is difficult due to scheduling, mobilizations, training, holidays, etc. I do remain concious of physical conditioning and work to keep tabs on it - normally by following Army exercise guidelines, Schola drills, and independant weapons practice/sparring. One thing that I have always prided myself on is my ability to always pass my Army APFT - something which alot of younger soldiers cannot do on a regular basis.

Now, as a soldier: I have relied a little bit on situational impact as far as my physical fitness goes. I know that when mobilized I will undergo fairly intense training before I go overseas and once in theater, you will adjust over the first month or so you are there. When wearing 80lbs of armor,weapons, ammo during 3 months of mob training will get you into some sembalace of shape - and continuing this for a year in theater; well, when you return to the US, you are a pretty hardened and toned individual, at least moreso that you were when you left. The last time I went over, I believe I conducted PT a total of 3 times or so - which is fairly normal given your obligations to actually fight the fight instead of train for it; so you get into shape, but its not because you are engaged in a workout routine.

The downside is that returning from the combat zone and relaxing into a normal life without the weight, heat, and stress - combined with the habit of eating sodium-impregnated food of little nutritional value and draining a Camelbak 4 times a day; you can pack on the pounds really quickly. You then have to resort to your own PT program and diet moderation to keep from gaining a huge amount of weight.

As for a special diet geared toward my WMA participation, I really do not have one. If in theater, I let the Army cooks decide what I should eat for my performance - other than the caffeine and/or nicotine I've added myself. Dietary guidelines are good, but sometimes they can be hard to stick to given your situation.

I know that there was a guideline in antiquity, but I also know that during an actual warring campaign that soldiers would eat whatever presented itself - whether it be salt pork, grains, leather, sawdust, horse, hemp, and in some extreme cases - other humans. In these cases, I feel that the actual situation dictated the overall fitness of the soldier and it could be said that despiration fueled by stress and hunger has won battles before.

With diet and exercise, I feel that its important to keep yourself in shape - but this could only really be applied when one is not in combat, which would apply for most everyone here. In real war, its a totally different story - just as it would have been for soldiers of antiquity.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
The last time I went over, I believe I conducted PT a total of 3 times or so - which is fairly normal given your obligations to actually fight the fight instead of train for it; so you get into shape, but its not because you are engaged in a workout routine.

Well, thats a completely different experience than I had; most guys significantly ramped up their time in the gym (usually 6 days a week when able to), if only as a destressor. Happy
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Everyone here is putting me to shame. My physical condition has declined considerably in the last year or two, mostly due to the schedule I keep and the fact that my day-job involves sitting at a computer constantly. I have yet to establish a regular exercise regimen that I can maintain, though I'm gradually improving my diet. I also don't get to practice with my weapons the way I'd like, due to a lack of a yard or a large enough room in my house.

... these are all things I intend to change, soon.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:
JE Sarge wrote:
The last time I went over, I believe I conducted PT a total of 3 times or so - which is fairly normal given your obligations to actually fight the fight instead of train for it; so you get into shape, but its not because you are engaged in a workout routine.

Well, thats a completely different experience than I had; most guys significantly ramped up their time in the gym (usually 6 days a week when able to), if only as a destressor. Happy

Where we were at in 05-06, you could not do a PT formation due to SOP. There was plenty of things to do, but on a recreational level rather than organized military PT. We had one track that I believe was 6 miles long (if you ran the inside perimeter), two basketball courts, two gyms, a homemade sauna, a fuel bladder converted into a small pool, and a volleyball area. Then of course, there was the Airsoft...lol.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

SOPs, haha, the stupidest one we had was in Timor last year: no short sleeves in the gym at any time due to the perceived malaria threat. You'd see guys in upwards of 40 degree heat (celcius) and massive humidity with sweat pouring out of them.

And some blokes still caught malaria. Wink

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Physical Culture & the study of Martial Arts
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: