Go to page Previous  1, 2

A few 200 year old spadroons and sabres Morgan

[ Linked Image ]
I've hit upon the plan
So many swords and so little space...

It occurred to me, as I pondered the designs for our second phase of the Library build-out in my house, that I'm going to have a LOT of empty shelf space in a short while. I think I'll figure out something to do with swords that will put them high up (I have three youngsters), and yet still be vaguely accessible by way of the rolling ladder that the shelves will have on them. I've always wanted one of those rolling ladders. I'm as giddy as a damn schoolboy.

If I were a better technician, I could scan the plans in for a good visual, but I'm not so a prosy description will have to do. The second wall of shelves is 16 feet across but it includes an 6 foot entryway. The walls of the room are 9 feet high, and the ceiling of the room is peaked at 13 feet. It's about the size of a small mountain sanctuary, which is of course what it is in reality, in a rather more Heathenish sense of that word.

So anyway the point is that I'm going to have the entire upper portion of the shelves with NOTHING to put in them quite yet. Might as well make it SWORDLY. They'll be out of direct view from any windows, not that it's very inviting to walk up the exposed hillside to the house. Flesh eating rodents. DOD-grade alarms. And as a last line of defense, the 10 month old ankle-severing daughter. She's vicious, that one.

The shelves are being made right now. I'll post pictures once they're all shelved and bookish and then properly furnished with steel.

Attachment: 67.6 KB
DSC_0068.jpg
I think I've blathered on about this before. Here's the opposite wall to the one I'm having built now. The newer shelves will be a foot wider, and bridge the entire upper portion of the wall where in this photo there's only stone.
Chad, thanks for the threads. Mr. Critchley's pic is going to be my new desktop!
Alex Oster wrote:
I actually have that later del tin model on a rack now,
Thinking of selling it, but haven't really gotten that desperate yet. it was re hilted by Albion at some point.

I'd like to get mine repaired with a new handle. I haven't found anyone that wants to do swords handles other than their own.
Perhaps looking at how museums approach the problem might give you some ideas...
Does anyone have any new or rearranged sword displays they care to share with us?!?!?!
check this thread out. David has a really nice theme going on

forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=89433
I recently made this display for my Paul Binns sword. It's made of a cutting board that I bought at www.viking.se.
Ahh, one of my fav-or-ite topics, any updates from people!! :?:
I had forgotten about this thread, but I stumbled onto something some folks might find of interest. Marto makes a little device they call an "invisible sword hanger." It is a metal device that mounts to the wall or wooden plaque or what-have-you. It securely holds a single sword in the point down position and is virtually invisible from straight-on viewing. Best thing about them is that they take up less room than the width of the sword, so you can tuck one into any nook or cranny that a sword will fit into.

Here is a shot of my Gen2 prototype Henry V tucked between a corner and closet door.

[ Linked Image ]

This is a shot of an empty hanger and a couple of Albion swords in their hangers as viewed from the side.

[ Linked Image ] [ Linked Image ]

And a straight-on view of same.

[ Linked Image ]
Here's another post where this is covered as well:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=12130
Thom R wrote:
Quote:
Every time this topic comes up I am the one who has to post the cautionary comment. I am solidly in the camp of "tuck 'em away". There is nothing worse than building up a nice collection of weapons only to have them lifted from your house or apartment one night when you are out at the baseball game. Unfortunately it happens and has happened to me in the past and I just want to point out that [a] collecting insurance on these things is a immense pain in the rear and [b] the amount of time it takes to rebuild a collection is huge. So..... although a wall full of swords looks awfully cool.......... and makes for a mouth watering photo for the rest of us.......... I recommend you don't display all of your guns/swords/coins/stamps/ in the open in one spot in your house. I guarantee that if a burglar gets in your castle they will be taking the swords off the wall long before they even look at any other artwork

There are also safety reasons to be careful with these sharps especailly if you have kids like I do.

Therefore my strategy has evolved to the point where I lock up my weapons in a safe while having a spot or two to display just a few at a time. Then I rotate the ones on display now and then.

Interestingly, this actually forces me to attend to my swords more often than if I just hung them all up. as each time I get one out for display I attend to its needs in terms of oiling etc.

as usual your mileage may vary

that is a very good Idea, I am going to have to remember that, if I ever get enough swords....

-Scott
J. Scott Moore wrote:

that is a very good Idea, I am going to have to remember that, if I ever get enough swords....

Well, one can never have "enough" swords, in general. :)

The irony is that most of my junky wall-hangers are the ones that I have prominently on display. My nicer pieces keep getting shuffled around the house. It works out that way because the wall-hangers are the only ones I don't mind putting out of reach. I like to play with the better toys.

I still have yet to make a nice display for the better pieces in my collection.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: