Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ollin Sword Experience? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Craig Holt

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Ollin Sword Experience?         Reply with quote

I am thinking of having a sword commissioned by Ollin Sword. Does anyone have any experience with them? Also, do they make functioning swords? ANY information would be appreciated.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is Ollin custom project with Jean Thibadeau topic. And yes, they make excellent functional swords.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8131
Craig Holt

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: thank you         Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the reply. I did indeed look at the posting and it helped greatly. Thank you agin!!!
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig-

I have had OlliN make 3 custom swords, 1 blade, and do 3 sword upgrades for me. They are top notch all around. Their products are excellent, Mark's blades are *flawless*. Their custom service is really good too, sending progress reports along the way and just generally keeping me informed about progress. The crates they ship in are very solid and excellent to store swords in later. I endorse them strongly and have had only positive experiences with them. If you're looking for someone to do custom work, they are a GREAT choice!

-Tim
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And I would mention that their pricing is very reasonable considering that it's custom work and the best way to work with them is to explain exactly what you want but also trust them to advise you.

If handling is important to you tell them how you want it to feel like and general parameters but let Mark figure out where the balance point etc .... should be: Very often the " numbers " we think will produce the sword we want may be different than what will be optimum.

In other words telling the maker that you want the balance point at exactly 4 33/64 " is not as useful as just telling him if you want a good cutter or thruster, a fast and agile sword or one with more presence etc .....

Anyway, good communications in both directions should give better results.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Craig Holt

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jean. The responses about Ollin Sword have certainly sold me. And, as you advised, I will simply draw up what I want and let them take it from there. I know how to use the things but I am NO bladesmith by far and wouldn't dream of telling someone how to do their work. I know what I want and I'll set the guide lines and let them do their art. Thank you again for the response!!!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, a funny story: I was in my basement garage and I decided to cut at a large cardboard box with my RavenWolf sword by OlliN and telling myself to be very careful to not hit anything else by accident .......

Naturally when I pulled back the sword for a swing at the box I heard a loud metallic " clank " and I had hit the metal rails for the garage door !

AAAAAAAAAAAAh: As you can imagine this was upsetting and an OH-NO moment !

The funny part is that using my 8X magnifying glass ( Afga Lupe 8x ) I couldn't even find a dull spot on the blade where it hit the rail ! Now this wasn't a heavy blow but I was expecting at least a dull spot on the edge. Surprised Laughing Out Loud Cool

Si I guess one can say that their swords are well heat treated. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Holt wrote:
Thanks Jean. The responses about Ollin Sword have certainly sold me. And, as you advised, I will simply draw up what I want and let them take it from there. I know how to use the things but I am NO bladesmith by far and wouldn't dream of telling someone how to do their work. I know what I want and I'll set the guide lines and let them do their art. Thank you again for the response!!!

Might want to explain what you want, perhaps send some photos if such exist and you want a reproduction of a period piece, and then relax until they send you their drawing. When you have it in hand compare it with some stuff you have. It will be to scale but in 2-D it might initially look a bit larger than it really is.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ollin Sword Experience?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic