Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's on the top of your Christmas list? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: What's on the top of your Christmas list?         Reply with quote

Alright guys, I'm curious about something.

So it's almost Christmas and let's pretend we can make a Christmas list and add a sword to that list.

What one sword would be on this year's Christmas list?

So as not to be crazy with this, let's assign some rules to this game:
  • Pick something you really want and would intend to keep
  • Santa isn't rich. Stay under a maximum price of $1500 US
  • Pick a production / semi-production piece and not some custom dream piece
  • Choose just one thing. I know it's hard. One sword

Be somewhat realistic here Happy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well that's an easy one for me!

It would have been a serious dilemma if the VA Bristol had been released, but since it is not available yet, I'll go for the next generation Henry V sword. I have been told that the second batch with the reinforced tips is to arrive the second week of December, so I will wait for those since being a poor thruster doesn't really make sense for a type XVIII sword. This sword seems to be one of the most attractive sub $300 I've seen lately (I never thought I would buy a gen 2 sword a year ago, looking at their line up, but they surely did a great job on that one and I'm ready to give it a shot).

Cheers,

J
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One that I've always stated would love to have in my collection would be the Del-Tin 5155 Gothic Bastard sword.

cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Oakeshott from Albion. http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...ott-xa.htm

I have a thing for complex blades that usually manifests in lust for Type XX swords, but that one is just really cool.

Nathan - you did not answer the question yourself. What do you want for Christmas?

Gordon
Justin King
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At the moment I would have to say the Albion NextGen Squire, although it seems almost mundane next to some of the other pieces on my wanted list, I have a gaping hole in my collection as far as classic, knightly single-hand swords that is starting to nag at me.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would have to say the Albion Kern would make a nice Christmas Present.
Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Marc Pengryffyn

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Damn, that's a hard choice! Ok, I think I'll have to go with the A&A Town Guard Sword #192. I just love that blade profile and hilt! The Albion Doge is a close second, however. And if I were allowed a bit more money- ok, a lot more- I'd die for Albions' Special Edition Lady Vivamus. I think that's the saber of my dreams....

As it is, I'm getting the Hanwei Mortuary in a couple of weeks for combined christmas and my birthday, and I'm a very happy man!

Marc

Tradition is the illusion of permanence.
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Christmas list         Reply with quote

Well I for one would like to add any Albion Viking sword to my collection. I especially like the Huskarl and the Knud (Hint, hint, anyone out there!). I also would be quite happy with any of the Del Tin Viking models (Another hint, hint to anyone out there listening!). Big Grin Laughing Out Loud
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Bill Hickey

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An Albion Vinland viking sword. Which I happen to know that my wife has already gotten for me for Christmas.

I'd also love to get a nicely made replicas of: a wasp waisted Roman Gladius, a Tokugawa era Katana, a Native American Indian tomahawk, a Greek Hoplite spear possibly in bronze, an American Civil War cavalry saber, and a Saracen sword typical of the later Crusades. But those will all have to wait for sufficient funds, unless Santa is really deep pocketed. Big Grin
David Jackson

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What is on my Christmas list is a Hanwei practical Norman, it's inexpensive and I would like to have one to play with. What I would really like to put on my list is the Valiant Castile. Of course I could probably put a lot more on the list too like any of Christian Fletcher's stuff but musn't be greedy.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It isn't on the market yet, but I'd like to have an Albion Markgraf.
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I dream of the day I can get myself an Albion Huskarl. Always been my dream viking sword to get myself.
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh my... just one? I don't think I can choose. I have a couple pre-orders in with Albion, and several on my current wishlist. I don't think I can just pick one. Happy
-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
James Aldrich

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A&A Serenissima. My current hot topic is Lepanto and galley warfare and I like to put together kits for school presentations and such. Nothing quite sparks a student's interest in an event or period like handling the hardware.

Film recommendation: Dangerous Beauty. A bit costume-y and mixed up on history but entertaining on several levels.
Also, Queen Margot. Related events not among the prouder moments for us Catholics.

JSA
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just the A&A Town Guard sword. Don't want to be greedy! Big Grin

I admire the type and I think it would be a good fit for a Virginia Company targeteer. That scenario is of great interest to me but I have nothing in my collection to represent it.

This was a common type but it's uncommon among reproductions. The A&A TG is the only one I know of, in fact. Like most military swords of this period, it's overshadowed by the narrow-blade civilian rapier in the modern imagination. It's hard to find anyone who has a TGS, so I assume it's not a big seller for A&A. That's a terrible shame, IMHO. A&A is the only company I know of that gives serious attention to the military swords and more robust "rapiers" of this period.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Tim May

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No doubt, an Albion Thegn. Given the budget no one compares with Albion, the finishing is exemplary and the sword just speaks to me, in a West Saxon Shield wall kind of way Happy.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion Baron, blue grip.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Aldrich wrote:
A&A Serenissima. My current hot topic is Lepanto and galley warfare and I like to put together kits for school presentations and such. Nothing quite sparks a student's interest in an event or period like handling the hardware.

Being a fellow Lepanto fanatic, I second the A & A Serenissima--preferably with a blued hilt.

Quote:
Film recommendation: Dangerous Beauty. A bit costume-y and mixed up on history but entertaining on several levels.
Also, Queen Margot. Related events not among the prouder moments for us Catholics.

JSA

Two very entertaining and interesting films--and Catherine McCormack and Isabelle Adjani are mad hot! Another interesting period piece is Joan the Mad, with the also-hot Pilar Lopez de Ayala (please forgive my extreme male-ness--as a flaming heterosexual, I can't help it).

"Why meddle with us--you are not strong enough to break us--you know that you have won the battle and slaughtered our army--be content with your honor, and leave us alone, for by God's good will only have we escaped from this business" --unknown Spanish captain to the Chevalier Bayard, at the Battle of Ravenna, 1512
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
Nathan - you did not answer the question yourself. What do you want for Christmas?

If I hadn't set the $1500 limit, it would be the Albion Knecht grossemesser but that doesn't fit in the budget.

So what's at the top of my list? The Albion Munich Sword.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Just the A&A Town Guard sword. Don't want to be greedy! Big Grin

I admire the type and I think it would be a good fit for a Virginia Company targeteer. That scenario is of great interest to me but I have nothing in my collection to represent it.

This was a common type but it's uncommon among reproductions. The A&A TG is the only one I know of, in fact. Like most military swords of this period, it's overshadowed by the narrow-blade civilian rapier in the modern imagination. It's hard to find anyone who has a TGS, so I assume it's not a big seller for A&A. That's a terrible shame, IMHO. A&A is the only company I know of that gives serious attention to the military swords and more robust "rapiers" of this period.

That's a really nice one too.

I was once fortunate enough to handle a similar original, at the Higgins. It was a nice piece, and felt considerably lighter than it really was (it was actually slightly heavier than the A & A version).

"Why meddle with us--you are not strong enough to break us--you know that you have won the battle and slaughtered our army--be content with your honor, and leave us alone, for by God's good will only have we escaped from this business" --unknown Spanish captain to the Chevalier Bayard, at the Battle of Ravenna, 1512

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's on the top of your Christmas list?
Page 1 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: