Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Who makes the best replica war hammer? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dustin Faulkner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Who makes the best replica war hammer?         Reply with quote

Hello:

I was wondering who makes the best replica war hammer with a top spike? I noticed Windlass Steelcrafts makes one, and there is also Anshelm Arm's shown in this web site's weapons comparison feature. I can't get Brent Junkins of Anshelm Arms to contact me. His site shows a chromed war hammer without a top spike. This site shows one of his war hammers with a top spike, but not chromed (my preference).

I don't doubt the quality of A&A's, but I dont like their hammer's round/knobby shape. Price is high too. Lutel's is even more expensive.

I suppose my real question is how good or bad is Windlass Steelcraft's war hammer (#600756). Thank you.

DUSTIN FAULKNER
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes the best replica war hammer?         Reply with quote

Dustin Faulkner wrote:
Hello:

I don't doubt the quality of A&A's, but I don't like their hammer's round/knobby shape. Price is high too. Lutel's is even more expensive.

I suppose my real question is how good or bad is Windlass Steelcraft's war hammer (#600756). Thank you.

Just curious if you are talking about this one: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole005.html

I just don't see it as round and knobby ??? You might still have reasons to not like it but it's a " classic " as far as what a warhammer should look like. There are other types that have longer and slimmer beaks.

Could you be meaning their Iberian mace which isn't a warhammer: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole147.html
or their spiked mace which is round and knobby: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole004.html

Price is fine if you actually want a quality piece: The Windlass polearms are O.K as far as the metal parts but I have read that the wood used for the hafts have been known to break easily in the past. ( This may have been corrected, or not ??? )

So the Windlass might be a good deal if you can replace the wood with a piece of wood you can have confidence in not breaking.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes the best replica war hammer?         Reply with quote

Dustin Faulkner wrote:
there is also Anshelm Arm's shown in this web site's weapons comparison feature. I can't get Brent Junkins of Anshelm Arms to contact me. His site shows a chromed war hammer without a top spike. This site shows one of his war hammers with a top spike, but not chromed (my preference).

Where are you getting your information that the piece on Anshelm Arm's site is chromed? I have never known him to chrome anything and would be quite surprised to learn that it is. There is no instance of the word "chrome" on their site. One must be careful not to confuse highly polished items with chromed items. For what it's worth, I'm not surprised you have not been able to contact them. I'm not sure if they are in business any longer, but if they are, they are more known for doing the Ren Faire circuit. My experience, over 10 years ago, was also filled with poor communication.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of the samples you mentioned, the best would be made by A&A. But if you don't care for the design, then that's a deal breaker for you. The Anshelm Arms hammer in my own collection is very nicely made, but is not very historical in design. The Lutel offerings are nice quality and somewhat historical, but have a very "machined" appearance and might not be a value given the weakness of our American dollar. The Windlass pieces are at least based on some originals, but corners have been taken to make them hit their price point: wooden hafts are prone to breaking, often modern screwed are substituted for rivets, fit and finish isn't always great, etc. Many will tell you, however, that Windlass makes a product worth the price paid. Having said that, however, one might consider it necessary to due their own improvements on them to make them a bit better (replace the haft, use rivets, fix imperfections of the steel parts, etc.)
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I contacted Anshelm a year or (or was it two) about some other stuff and at that time the gentleman on the phone mentioned that he was going to be doing that stuff very part time if at all.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Tasha Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to this site.

Brent Junkins (Anshelm Arms) is back in the armour business after a 4-year hiatus. Since announcing this, his queue has expanded rapidly because folks know the quality they will get. He's had email issues for the last few months which were recently fixed, so it's possible that he hasn't received emails sent in the August time frame. You might want to try him again, using the email on the Anshelm Arms website.

-Best,
Tasha
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been looking at this one:

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/War_Hamm...#aCD_2d154

Now if I could only find out who Arms & Armour is, I know its not the A&A we all know and love.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having looked at the link, "arms and armour" seems to be a category rather than a company.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
I've been looking at this one:

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/War_Hamm...#aCD_2d154

Now if I could only find out who Arms & Armour is, I know its not the A&A we all know and love.

A chunk of that By-The-Sword stuff is the same stuff retailed by www.outfit4events.com . There is/was a Czech company called Arms and Armor Manufacture, which may be a different company altogether.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah...there it is. I see it on the Outfit4Events website. Thanks for the info, Chad.

By The Sword does alot of this it seems. The leather armor on the BTS website is made by Schmitthenner, but they are not acknowledged on the BTS site, nor is BTS mentioned on the Schmitthenner site. I've played hell trying to find out who makes their items from time to time, only to discover its sold cheaper and custom made to order on the manufacturer's website rather than buying from BTS. WTF?!

Back on topic about the warhammer though, the O4E Thorn Fist is one of the wickedest looking hammers out there IMHO. I wonder if that was uniquely their idea or if there was actual historical precedence for that design.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott

Last edited by JE Sarge on Sat 29 Nov, 2008 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
Back on topic about the warhammer though, the O4E Thorn Fist is one of the wickedest looking hammers out there IMHO. I wonder if that was uniquely their idea or if there was actual historical precedence for that design.

"Fisted" hammers are found in antiques. Some examples can be seen in our own photo albums here.

Brawn Barber

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
Ah...there it is. I see it on the Outfit4Events website. Thanks for the info, Chad.

By The Sword does alot of this it seems. The leather armor on the BTS website is made by Schmitthenner, but they are not acknowledged on the BTS site, nor is BTS mentioned on the Schmitthenner site. I've played hell trying to find out who makes their items from time to time, only to discover its sold cheaper and custom made to order on the manufacturer's website rather than buying from BTS. WTF?!

I'll be happy to answer any questions I can if you like, Jonathan. Just not in the Forums.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Who makes the best replica war hammer?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic