Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Original Thorpe Falchion and Making a Custom Reproduction Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jun, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I talked to Mark about the blade today... It looks like the tip is really corroded and could have extended a bit more... In any case, I think the plan will be to keep the blade about 32 inches in length, with 22 inches being the main shaft, and the last 10 inches being the curved tip. I want the width at the hilt to be at 1 and 7/8 inch, and increase in width to a max of 3 inches at the peak of the false edge/beginning of curved tip (at the 22 inch mark). The vassal did a nice job of curving both the true and false edge in saber-like fashion... The original is rusted and lost a lost of mass, so I think going to a max width of 3 inches at the 22 inch point where the false edge curves outward to a peak will be nice and still be near identical to the original (as it may have been when it was new) The original really is corroded in the area of where the false edge curves outward at the beggining of the curved tip.

The curved end on the fullers is a nice original feature, we look forward to incorporating those.

But back to the original, it really looks that about 2 inches of the tip has corroded off... The length of the curved tip could easily be 11 inches... In fact, I think Mark should probably think about making the curved tip closer to 11 inches in length. So I have no problem with the blade being 33 inches for purposes of making the curved tip longer....

Chad, what do you think of the original guard cuttouts? Quatrefoils or crosses? The look kinda rounded like Quatrefoils?

anyone else notice that funny symbol on the body of the blade?
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

I just picked up this thread and so will hark right back to the beginning.

I made a copy of the Conyers years ago for a member of the family and so got excellent photos from the Cathedral, which I then had to return.........but here is the result.

The engraving on the original was pretty crude and thankfully my engraving back then matched it quite well! It was discussed here the merits of improving on original work by doing it better or more exactly than the original, but for me the replica will then lose its 'realness'. It is not to say that every stroke must be the same as the original, but by trying to work in the same way the spirit of the original will be kept.

One side was a spread eagle much like the imperial german symbol and the other was I guess the 3 lions of England as found on various royal heraldry and indeed on modern English soccer shirts. The outer marks on the pommel were too indistinct to do anything but copy the lines down as they were and whatever it actually was has been lost to time.

The cross guard was a less interesting piece and was altogether rather clumpy, and the engraving all rather indistinct due to a serious lack of talent of the original engraver but once you can start to see the beasts with wings (griffins?) it all becomes a bit clearer. Looking at the photos that were supplied I would never have described the original sword as a quality piece as far as decoration goes, but technically to make a blade nearly 4" broad and 1/16" thick at the tip and for it to survive (albeit with a small crack) speaks of a skilled smith.

From memory the blade started about 5mm thick and near the tip was about 1.5mm (about 1/16") so it would have been pretty wieldly.

On the point of weights, I am working on one for myself at the moment that is pretty short admittedly, but is about 4.5mm near the hilt and under 2mm at the tip and weighs in under 2llb.

Attachment: 49.36 KB
parkin-conyers 002.jpg

Attachment: 46.42 KB
parkin-conyers 003.jpg

Attachment: 39.54 KB
small.jpg

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:

Chad, what do you think of the original guard cuttouts? Quatrefoils or crosses? The look kinda rounded like Quatrefoils?

anyone else notice that funny symbol on the body of the blade?

To me they look like punched crosses which weren't cleaned up to be nice and square.
I'm not sure how Christian is going to be doing those....but if he can punch them it'll probably replicate the look better.
Dan
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome! The Conyer's symbols on the Pommel are really amazing... I was hoping to obtain those as well.

By the way, I'll have to show you by what I mean about the symbol on the blade, maybe it was the original blademakers symbol... I'll do a crop and post the picture so I can get it below 150K (the limit).
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jul, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I received the final drawing of the blade design from Mark in the mail yesterday and I think it is absolutely perfect. Excellent!!

In our version, the tip is a couple inches longer than the original, due to the corroded tip of the original. Take a good look at the photos of the original, and you can see that the tip of the blade was likely a couple inches longer, especially when it was first made...

The fullers are exactly as the original, perhaps one mm wider... identical in length and curved tip...
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Tue 21 Oct, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Blade is finished and looks amazing. Time for the work on the hilt to begin. I asked the guys at Ollin to post a picture of the progress so far if they like...
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 21 Oct, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
The Blade is finished and looks amazing. Time for the work on the hilt to begin. I asked the guys at Ollin to post a picture of the progress so far if they like...

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one completed. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Update: The hilt is nearing completion...

In any case, if anyone has suggestions for a scabbard design for the Thorpe Falchion, that would be appreciated.

I've been getting regular updates from Christian Fletcher with pictures and hopefully he will put them on his website at some point.
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any suggestions for scabbard design for the Thorpe Falchion would be helpful as we are in the researching stage for it now...
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have a lot to post but have been very busy. I have to post this though. Here is the final completed THORPE FALCHION:

http://gallery.me.com/christianfletcher1#101266

Attachment: 29.37 KB
thorpe01.jpg

Attachment: 31.27 KB
thorpe02.jpg

Attachment: 47.82 KB
thorpe03.jpg

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That came out real nice. Big Grin Cool The pommel engraving, the scabbard furniture and the blade/guard themselves all work together to make a very attractive piece. Cool
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice and the closest repro I've ever seen of this one. There are a few differences from the original still, but they're small. Very, very nice. Is the blade by Ollin?
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having recently received a finished project from the gentlefolk at OlliNSword I know
how happy and proud you must be seeing your own project accomplished, Chris. A very
classy looking piece with just enough detailing to insure individuality and character without
being over-done. I particularily like the color scheme for the grip and scabbard, obviously it
works very well. Congrats !
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey All,

The Blade is by Ollin, yes. Christian Fletcher and Ollin both did a wonderful job from what I have seen in the pictures. Hopefully I will get the blade and scabbard soon. I need to make sure there is a suspension and belt to go with it as well...

Christian is working on a saber for me next... he received the blade from Ollin, but decided to work on the Thorpe Falchion first...
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful! If you haven't already done it, be sure to share the photos with the folks at the museum. They'll get a kick out of it, I'm sure.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will let you know Alan West's (the outstanding museum curator) response when I receive it....

I'll take some more photos when I receive it....
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I still haven't heard from Alan West... he never responded to a couple emails.

In any case, SEE ATTACHMENTS for pictures of the final product in hand:

Attachment: 134.55 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 115.57 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 83.79 KB
[ Download ]
Danny Grigg

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jun, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris

What are the final dimensions of your replica? Overall length, blade length, blade width, crossguard width, weight etc?

Do you have a pic of your replica & the original thorpe falchion for comparison?

Thanks

Danny

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Original Thorpe Falchion and Making a Custom Reproduction
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: