Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What type of powder for a matchlock Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bruce Willis

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: What type of powder for a matchlock         Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

What type of powder of some of you using to prime and fire a matchlock. Also, what type of solution are using for the matchcord?

Cheers

Bruce
Alexander Spiridonov

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of powder for a matchlock         Reply with quote

Bruce Willis wrote:
Hello Friends,

What type of powder of some of you using to prime and fire a matchlock. Also, what type of solution are using for the matchcord?

Cheers

Bruce

I am using "Сокол"
Craig Shira

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Goex         Reply with quote

For my harquebus/musket, I have been using Goex powder. I use 2F powder for the main charge and 4F powder for the primer.

For match, there is this site which tells you how to make it:
http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/lunte.html

This site also tells you how to make it and sells it too. I have a length of match from him and it works well. Since I am not going to be making my own match anytime soon, I will most likely buy my next batch of slow match from him the next time I run low.
http://www.metamuseum.com/us/slowmatch/index.cfm

Alexander Spiridonov

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Вообще, я делаю порох сам. Для полки порох просто не гранулирую. Если заранее у меня свой не заготовлен, то я покупаю дымный "Сокол" и тру его в ступке. Так улучшается воспламеняемость и проницаемость в затравочный канал. Гранулированный порох для полки НИКОГДА не использую.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander Spiridonov wrote:
Вообще, я делаю порох сам. Для полки порох просто не гранулирую. Если заранее у меня свой не заготовлен, то я покупаю дымный "Сокол" и тру его в ступке. Так улучшается воспламеняемость и проницаемость в затравочный канал. Гранулированный порох для полки НИКОГДА не использую.

Please limit your posts to those in the English language, per our rules. Thank you.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll second Goex, good even burns. 2-3F granule size depending on the bore size of our guns. 4F is what we use for prime as well.

For match a slution of potassium nitrate as described in the above link or apple cider vinegar works too when you boil it down for the match.

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
James Aldrich

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I second the recommendation of the site with a recipe for leaded match. I have made a batch of 10 meters and I find it superior to the potassium nitrate variety in every way. Friends to whom I have given a length agree. I use 6mm braided hemp cord.

Also, 2F main charge, 4F prime seems to be ideal for large bores. I use 3F in my smaller bore simply because I have it on hand. I have never had to purchase 2F or 3F; I have accumulated enough from event rations. 4F for prime is not really necessary but a pound goes a long way.

JSA

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What type of powder for a matchlock
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic