Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 3rd National Living History Fayre, England. October Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Smith

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: 3rd National Living History Fayre, England. October         Reply with quote

Hi,

One of the traders who stands at my events pointed me towards your site and discussion forum, which I look forward to exploring.

I run a twice-a year event called the National Living History Fayre at a venue called the Warwickshire Exhibition Centre, near to Royal Leamington Spa. The next Fayre will be Friday Saturday & Sundat October 29th through 31st,and will again feature a Full Contact Medieval Sword Tournament, marshalled by Roger Lankford, who is chair-person of the edged weapons committee of the Early Medieval Alliance and one of the founding members of the International Medieval Alliance, now re-named InterMed.

If you want to see some pictures and more information about the National Living History Fayre you can find it at my site, www.livinghistoryfayres.com

There are also some great video clips of the last Tournament on Lancaster's Armouries site, www.lancasters-armourie.co.uk look under the Video page. Have the speakers switched on, it's noisy!! I was especially impressed with the first bout on the Sunday, won in fine style by Lord Despencer, who went on to become the Sunday champion, although he was chivalrous enough to give the prize money to his opponent who had the misfortune to trip and cut his hand.

Do you have similar Full Contact Tourneys in the States? My friend Chris was amazed - " Blimey!", he said, "they're REALLY hitting each other!"

If any of you are in Europe in late October, or in February next year, come and see the Fayre - it features many different armourers and sword-makers, all list on the site, but including Lancaster's Armouries, A Plaisance, Historic Enterprises Inc (from California USA!!) , Armchair Armoury, Freedom Enterprises, Martin Hodgkiss, Get Dressed For Battle, Mercia Svieter, Stagman Creations, and Excalibur Swords.
Happy

Best Wishes
David
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Remarkable video clips. Everyone involved seems to have gone to great lengths to assemble complete or nearly complete equipment. The variety of fighting styles is also noteworthy.

Am I correctly interpreting the films, that many contestants have no protection for their face and eyes? Here in the USA I believe there is a great emphasis on avoiding risk of injury, at the expense of the authenticity of the equipment. I am not sure that a similar event would succeed in the USA, once the promoters were sued by each of the contestants who were cut or bruised.
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi David,
Small world chap,i'm down kettering way myself,
Is this the same fair that was formerly held at Blackbird leys leisure centre,until space got too limited ?
May well have to make an efort to get to this one in october, Happy
Adam R

PostPosted: Tue 25 May, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
Hi David,
Small world chap,i'm down kettering way myself,
Is this the same fair that was formerly held at Blackbird leys leisure centre,until space got too limited ?
May well have to make an efort to get to this one in october, Happy

I think that you are thinking of TORM (The Original Re-enactors Market, David's is a newer market.

Northampton? Why you are not too far from me either Wink

Adam Roylance
KDF Nottingham
www.nottinghamsword.co.uk
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Tue 25 May, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Adam,
not too far at all,
interesting site,just had a quick look, Cool
Steve,
The last few reenactors weekends that have been close enough for me to go and look at,
usually the vikings at rockingham castle and geddington,it's amazing how 'hard' some of these people go at each other,
pretty good job they all volunteer,and it seems any actual injury is normally minor,
but the Cromwell guys that turn up at wicksteed park every now and again seem intent on completely leathering each other at least until they can sneak into the ale tent Big Grin

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 3rd National Living History Fayre, England. October
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic