Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How did they do this unusual leather grip wrap? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Eric So

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: How did they do this unusual leather grip wrap?         Reply with quote

Firstly, hi, I just registered!

I searched a bit on this site for this answer first, but didn't see any examples of this particular type of wrapping.

Does anybody know what this is called, or how it's done? (Just the leather part, obviously.) It looks, like many such things, familiar and relatively straightforward, yet I can't figure out for the life of me how it's done.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Oh, and in case anyone is interested, here is the full description of the sword from which the above hilt comes:

http://www.weaponmasters.com/shopping/FROSTMOURNE-p-17293.html

-Eric
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How did they do this unusual leather grip wrap?         Reply with quote

Eric So wrote:
Firstly, hi, I just registered!

I searched a bit on this site for this answer first, but didn't see any examples of this particular type of wrapping.

Does anybody know what this is called, or how it's done? (Just the leather part, obviously.) It looks, like many such things, familiar and relatively straightforward, yet I can't figure out for the life of me how it's done.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Oh, and in case anyone is interested, here is the full description of the sword from which the above hilt comes:

http://www.weaponmasters.com/shopping/FROSTMOURNE-p-17293.html

-Eric

Just guessing, but two strips wound in opposite directions at the same time, one always taking precedence at each turn (when I wrap the belts around my scabbard for storage the effect is (broadly) similar in appearance).
Regards
Geoff

edited to remove repeated image
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Eric, and welcome to myArmoury!

This might not be an easy question to answer as this is a nonfunctional fantasy object. Therefore, the wrap is not bound by the requirements and restrictions of functionality; so anything goes, and the wrap does not have to correlate with any standard wrapping methods that our membership might recognize. Remember that this site is a "Resource for Historic Arms and Armour Collectors."

Of course, that doesn't mean that we cannot speculate. But without seeing and inspecting the item in person, I doubt that we could definitively choose between any of a number of possible configurations that would yield this appearance.

Now let's see someone prove me wrong. ;-)

Cheers,
-Gabriel

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________

Last edited by Gabriel Lebec on Mon 10 Nov, 2008 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Play WoW much? It is a nice rendition of the Lich king sword isn't it? As for most here telling you exactly how it's done I'd have to agree with Gabriel. The focus here is on function and as pretty and near to my heart as WoW is, the weapons simply aren't plausible. From my experience with movie replica wall hangers like this one I'd say it's just glued alternating strips of a leather like substance with no thought to the stress placed on the wrap during a swing. The glue seams are most likely covered by the metal rings, which probably hold it all together. It may look pretty but please don't get in the habit of swinging her, ever.
Winter is coming
Dan P

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:
Play WoW much? It is a nice rendition of the Lich king sword isn't it?

I know I've spent too much time playing World of Warcraft when I recognize that replica right away. Pity it would probably fall to pieces if you actually ended up swinging it.
I'm also wearing a WoW t-shirt at work, for the geek factor.
But for almost $400 I'd rather get a real sword like an ATrim or another Darkwood.
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Update: what an interesting coincidence that this should come up today... although I have to correct the comic by pointing out that this actually is a fake sword based on a pretend sword. ;-)
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Eric So

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies, all!

Hehe, in fact, the reason I came across the sword at all was because of the penny-arcade comic. I don't play Warcraft or even many computer games, but I still read their site out of some nostalgia for the days when I had time for videogames. I think the sword itself is a pretty slick job, but personally would prefer a real sword Happy

I actually want to use this type of grip for a set of new fire staves I'm making (I'm a fire performer - double staff). I thought it looked like it would be quite durable and grippy, but perhaps you guys are right that the strips would move around a lot. Still I'd like to think there is a way to make it work. I'm interested in this because it looks easy to replace (my grips always wear out, even high quality ones - I throw a lot) and cheap to construct. Also I think it looks good, since my props are part of the show too.

I've been looking into Japanese hilt wrapping techniques, but I was hoping to do something with leather instead.

I'll probably get around to attempting to duplicate this sometime, at which point I'll take some pictures and report back here. It might take me a month or two though to get around to it.

Geoff - I'm not sure, but wouldn't what you're suggesting not give nearly as much of an appearance of layering as in the picture? Hmm guess I should just go try it.... *rummaging around for some cord*
Tony Peterson

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Lebec wrote:
Update: what an interesting coincidence that this should come up today... although I have to correct the comic by pointing out that this actually is a fake sword based on a pretend sword. ;-)

Indeed! Big Grin

Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas!

The time of heroes is dead: the christ god has killed it, leaving nothing but weeping martyrs and fear and shame.

If we die... it will be for GLORY, not gold.
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric So wrote:
I've been looking into Japanese hilt wrapping techniques, but I was hoping to do something with leather instead.

Tsukamakishi (traditional Japanese hilt wrapping craftsmen) use a variety of materials and techniques, including leather. I can tell you with a fair bit of certainty that the fantasy sword posted will not be based on any traditional Japanese method, but on the other hand by researching those methods you could produce something of great aesthetic and functional value.

To that end, here are some resources for you to consider:
Thomas Buck's tsukamaki page
More tsukamaki FAQs from Dr. Buck
David McDonald's tsukamaki page
Images of a staggering variety of traditional tsukamaki from the Japanese Sword Society of the US. Many very unusual and rare styles.

If you need supplies (ito, etc.) I can recommend several sources:
Ted Tenold's "Legacy Art Studios" supplies page - high quality modern material (great stuff)
Fred Lohman's supplies - basic supplies
Namikawa Heibei Co. (see "Tsukaito Tsukagawa" section) - traditional material imported from Japan

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
-GLL

________
Eric So

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

wow, thanks! The diagrams on Thomas Buck's pages are especially great.

So, I was just playing around with some shoelaces, it's actually simpler than I thought. For those curious, this is how it's done:

It consists of 3 straps.
Wrap the first strap going clockwise, giving an empty gap of 1 strap-width on each turn.
Wrap the second going counter clockwise doing the same.
Wrap the third going clockwise again, following the gap left by the first strap.

It feels moderately secure, but difficult to tell since it's just shoelaces. I definitely think the grip would travel over time, though, especially with leather, but perhaps not with a synthetic rubber or if I applied some adhesive.

I'll definitely be experimenting with some tsukamaki soon Happy

Thanks again guys.
Jeff Kaisla

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I dont presume to know how its done, but the similar wrapping on my Godfred has held up perfectly through lots of use. Perhaps someone knows this method of wrapping if Eric is interested in it. Cool
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj118/jak-999/001.jpg
Darren Tully

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a Godfred too it has great grip but it would be harder to pull off than the fantasy grip.You need to weave leather strips into a tight latice already in a shape to fit the handle if you try to weave a sheet and wrap that arround the handle it wont work you then cover the lose threads at each wnd with horizontal stripps of leather and secure in place with rivets

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How did they do this unusual leather grip wrap?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic