Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Polearm storage. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Polearm storage.         Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I have a quick question about how the members with polearms/hafted weapons store or display them. My main concern is the wooden haft warping and going out of true. My first thought goes towards building an upright rack similiar to what would be used to store pool cues. It is something I can build but if anyone knows of one that someone sells or has built something similiar I would appreciate it. So everyone who is willing have at it and give me ideas or thoughts. Please?

Scott
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Polearm storage.         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have a quick question about how the members with polearms/hafted weapons store or display them. My main concern is the wooden haft warping and going out of true. My first thought goes towards building an upright rack similiar to what would be used to store pool cues. It is something I can build but if anyone knows of one that someone sells or has built something similiar I would appreciate it. So everyone who is willing have at it and give me ideas or thoughts. Please?

Scott

I have two A & A spears that are leaning in a corner but only a few degrees off vertical and they haven't warped at all: I wouldn't lean them at larger angle though and maybe I'm just lucky that the half have stayed strait.

If I had many more polearms some sort of rack might be a good idea.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Sun 02 Nov, 2008 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Although I bought this for multiples of swords (as it would get extra off the table), the Rubbermaid long pole rack is ready made for the purpose. It could also be made of wood fairly simply. I went cheap and quick to get it done. There is also a smaller version that is just a corner triangle look (but not as tall).

With rounds and slots, there is an abundance of use. Although I had just a spontoon flat on a table for exhibit, it could well have filled up many. One fellow wondered where to get Rubbermaid sword and pole racks. I did paint it black.

Cheers

GC
Alex Spreier

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a Burgundian poleaxe from A&A. I finally built a rack for it and my wasters, it was real simple: A 2' x 5" x 1/2" piece of wood (or however long you need it), a few heavy-duty picture hangers, and some solid door-stops (not the springy ones and preferably straight, not tapered >.<). Screw the door-stops into the wood at whatever distances you need. I could have made mine a bit more pretty, but since I needed it fast, it works for now.
Tyler Jordan

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The quick and dirty, common sense method I think would be to hang them vertically from the heads, provided you have walls tall enough.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lots of options in the curtain rod section of Lowes and Home Depot. I just hang them horizontal support so they balance. My halberd has only been that way for a couple of years but I don't see any warping yet. Good ash haft and langets make the whole pole pretty robust. Don't expect problems until I'm long gone from using it. Big Grin
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for all the replies gang.

Glen,
That is great. I will have to keep my eyes open for the Rubbermaid sword and pole rack! Big Grin

Alex,
I was thinking about something alnog those lines since in the past I have built a nice coat rack for my kitchen along the same lines. The only thing I might do different is to put a base and lower rack on it to keep the weapons from shifting around to much.

Tyler,
Luckily in my front room I have a 16' wall so that is not a problem. The problem is convincing the wife that I need some of the wall to display my weaponry. Man I need a castle so it would be proper decor.

Joe,
Yet another quick and dirty idea that I like. I hate it so much when I have to hit Home Depot to look at things. Happy

Scott
Tyler Jordan

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to admit, the Rubbermaid rack is somehow totally awesome. Big Grin
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is the corner rack as well. The specifications read taller and it may be the picture is just showing one (of two) pole lengths. If used for pole arms, I would just be careful of lots of long lengths getting tippy but there is also a wall clamp with screws that comes with the rack. With swords loaded up, I had what is shown and another near dozen swords along with the medieval reproductions. It is very stable hanging the weight from the top. The half length, they are about 18" height sections.

Someone with a hole saw and some dowels to replace the method could be quite a bit nicer. Another had done a box with slots that also suits for swords. I had looked at lota of ready made things and the plastics long pole racks made more sense than the wire racking. there are even carts with wheels.

I do have my one spontoon horizontally but it is my one long piece right now. It does just support on two long sheet rock screws. i'm not really particular.

Cheers

GC
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm storing my South German halberd leaning against a closet corner, head down and haft as vertical as possible. This takes most of the weight off the haft. The Landeszeughaus in Graz stacks polearms horizontally by the hundreds on long shelves. I think the Mary Rose bows are stored horizontally as well.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This was my simpke method of putting the swords on the wall. should work for polearms too.

James R.Fox

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sirs-the little I've heard about the Medieval method was to grease the head well and lay horizontally on pegs' Of course they had no centeral heating, so everything was damp amd drafty
Ja68ms

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Polearm storage.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic