Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Anyone Know what this is? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jenna S

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Anyone Know what this is?         Reply with quote

Hi All

Does anyone know what type of sword this is , from what period etc?

And most of all is it worth selling? What it would be worth etc.

Thanks

[/img]
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There looks like to be a makers mark of some sort near the zone where blade meets the guard - can you get a closeup pic of it? Might help somewhat with determining the origins...
Jenna S

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

to be honest its pretty dirty and really hard to see by the eye let alone by camera

What would you say is the best thing i can use to clean it without damaging it so i can get a better look?

Thhanks
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jenna S wrote:
to be honest its pretty dirty and really hard to see by the eye let alone by camera

What would you say is the best thing i can use to clean it without damaging it so i can get a better look?

Thhanks

If it's just loose dirt or light rust, use an oily rag to wipe it down. That should clean it well enough. If you have a close up setting on your digital camera I would think the makers mark would be visible after a light cleaning.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Jenna

I do not know the maker, or a specific timeline but this appears to be a British 1821 heavy cavalry sword. While there is a wide range of difference in individual makers and timeline, this appears to be a troopers sword. I cannot vouch for a timeline but the style (even though the 1821 heavy are many and varied) have supplanted this version by about 1860. The light cavalry sword has a branched guard instead of this full basket. We see the troopers pretty much using other styles and the very stylised decoration amongst officers right up to the WWI and beyond. It is possible it was for another country but that is the style. it does not appear to be more than a troopers sword.

As far as conservation, there is a good brief here
http://swordforum.com/articles/ams/conservation.php

Less is really more. While there are some other possibilities, this is a good article. As this sword is fairly relic condition, there isn't much to simply stabilizing the foremost stages. Someone finding the blade marking may be able to put a good timeline to it but likely second quarter of the 19th century.

Cheers

GC
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It does resemble some of the British cavalry trooper's swords, but it is not British. The British did not favor having a sword knot pass through the guard, but the German states did. Additionally, the last British cavalry trooper's sword that had ears to the backstrap that saw active service was the Pattern 1821 heavy cavalry trooper's sword, which was replaced in 1853 with the universal cavalry sword (Pattern 1853). From 1853 to 1908, British cavalry trooper's swords had grips of sandwiched construction, with a wide tang and leather scales riveted on either side.

I believe the sword in this thread is an Austrian M1869 cavalry trooper's sword. Please search the database at www.oldswords.com for matching examples. The maker name and/or mark will be German, and likely a Solingen maker. I have no idea what prices these swords fetch, but they are not uncommon. Ebay might be a good place to search for completed listings. The condition will obviously affect the value.

Regards,
Jonathan
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes

Quite from this one
http://www.oldswords.com/database/viewItem.php?id=132451

Weyersburg would be a small King's head

I was very struck by the British 1821 but then again, the sabres seem to go on for more than a century.

Cheers

GC
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:

I was very struck by the British 1821 but then again, the sabres seem to go on for more than a century.

Cheers

GC

The British Pattern 1821 heavy cavalry officer's sword (and later the universal pattern for all cavalry officers, beginning in 1896) was made through WWI. Although it was officially replaced by the Pattern 1912 cavalry officer's sword, some officers preferred having a sword that could still deliver a good cut.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Anyone Know what this is?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic