Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cas/Hanwei Charlegmaine saber or Arpad saber. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Cas/Hanwei Charlegmaine saber or Arpad saber.         Reply with quote

Hi guys

A while back there was a thread about this saber C/H were going to release.
Has anyone in the US or the world bought or seen them for sale yet? Im in Australia, and as yet have heard no news about this item.

If anyone has seen one or handled one, what did you think of it? Are they well made, full tang? Blade geometry and hardness acceptable?
And I spose the biggest question.....Does it look authentic?

Cheers

Nick

Attachment: 91.72 KB
[ Download ]
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://kultofathena.com/product~item~SH2288.htm

I have no personal experience with it, though.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Sam

Yes Ive contacted distributors in Australia and they seem to know nothing about it?

Anyway, comparing the repro to the original on the outside it certainly looks like a very good copy. I worry more about the construction?
I read on the link you sent that the scabbard does have a wooden core, thats a plus.

Cheers

N
Darrin Hughes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nick.

Funny you should mention this, as I was wondering about it myself. With the changes to the law here in the UK I probably wouldn't be able to buy one of these now even if I wanted one, but I was still interested in a possible review on this 'site, just to see what sort of job Hanwei had done. Unfortunately it never happened and I was starting to wonder why.

Cheers,
Darrin.

btw, I never did get the copy of that Magyar sword made either, but with some re-wording in the law recently, with regards to hand-forged items, this may be back on the possible list so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darrin Hughes wrote:
Hi Nick.

Funny you should mention this, as I was wondering about it myself. With the changes to the law here in the UK I probably wouldn't be able to buy one of these now even if I wanted one, but I was still interested in a possible review on this 'site, just to see what sort of job Hanwei had done. Unfortunately it never happened and I was starting to wonder why.

Cheers,
Darrin.

The review of the Charlemagne saber has been written, it just awaits editing and publication. You can always ask us, rather than speculate. Happy

What I reviewed was a production prototype and it was a nice piece. I wasn't allowed to cut with it, so I couldn't test its handling and cutting ability besides dry handling. It's very similar to the original, though there are some proportional differences. It's very detailed for its price.

I enjoyed having it for a few days. I would have loved to put it through its paces, and/or spend longer with it, but it wasn't to be.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I await the appraisal of the weapon Chad, thanks

Nick
Darrin Hughes

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Chad. Happy

As I said, with the changes to the legislation back in April I wouldn't be able to buy one of these now. I'm really just curious as to how Hanwei have come on, if at all, with regards to European weaponry.

Cheers,
D.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darrin Hughes wrote:
Thanks Chad. Happy

As I said, with the changes to the legislation back in April I wouldn't be able to buy one of these now. I'm really just curious as to how Hanwei have come on, if at all, with regards to European weaponry.

Cheers,
D.

Are you sure you wouldn't be able to get one? I think the legislature only covered overtly cheap SLOs. After all, its not like people were using $600 + swords for "gang" crimes.

Indeed, I think I remember some MP saying collectors and martial artists wouldn't be affected because it only applied to SLOs.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Darrin Hughes

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian. It would depend on the construction. The law was re-worded to allow curved swords "hand-forged using traditional methods". This was because of complaints about restraint of trade from 'smiths here in the UK. I don't currently know of anyone in the UK that is looking to stock this sword.

Cheers,
Darrin.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cas/Hanwei Charlegmaine saber or Arpad saber.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic