Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Steel gloves Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Gilbers

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Steel gloves         Reply with quote

hey,

would it be possible for soldiers of about 1320 to wear steel gloves or would they wear a pair of maille or leather?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Greets,

Patrick
Adam S.

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Steel gloves         Reply with quote

A little more info would be helpful. What area? What social class? 1320 is nice and specific. Are you using these for reenactment, or you writing a book? (That last one was just me being nosy Wink )

Patrick Gilbers wrote:
hey,

would it be possible for soldiers of about 1320 to wear steel gloves or would they wear a pair of maille or leather?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Greets,

Patrick
Patrick Gilbers

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We are making a re-anactmentgroup about the Scottish Galloglass. Norwegian-Scottish mercenaries who fought all over Europe.
Adam S.

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Gilbers wrote:
We are making a re-anactmentgroup about the Scottish Galloglass. Norwegian-Scottish mercenaries who fought all over Europe.

That sounds EXCELLENT! Unfortunately I have never studied that particular group, so I'm useless to you. Eek!

But I'm sure there's someone here that has a good idea where to start looking.

I do know that in the mid 1300s the advent of plate and brigandine started showing up. English soldiers having a combination of steel plates over chain shirts/houberks, as well as a type of clam shell gauntlet and the usual chain mitts.

Not much, but I hope it helps!

You can check out Osprey's Men-at-Arms series. It's where I started, and they have good visual representations of the arms and armour of the time.

~Adam
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The shift from plate to mail began much earlier than 1350..... by about 100 years. You see plate- greaves, poleyns, pairs of plates etc by 1270. plate- Gaunts, small spaulders and couters also appear pre 1300 but to a lesser degree and almost always on a knight.

The earliest artwork of plate gauntlets I can think of it late 13th. This is of a knight so not what you are looking for sadly.

Now that said by 1320s plate gauntlets are fairly common in artwork. Once more though seemingly on knights and men at arms.

During this time period Edward II often required iron plate gauntlets for his soldiers in general. This was one part of many that led to men becoming upset with military service as requiring so much plate was expensive for those outside the noble/knightly class.

By 1330s though hobelars, armed men and archers are required to have them as well according to various arrays both in royal and civic archives (London for example).

In the Holkham (1326) some of the infantry fighting have plate gaunts as well.

These are likely not great as sources as they are English and not geographically the same.

From what I know of Galloglass not likely by 1320s. My guess is your be using perhaps mail gauntlets (perhaps mittens or with fingers have seen hat before as well) or hauberks with mail mittens integral but I am not an expert on the other (outside) Gaels and somewhat looking at Scots in general. Looks from what I have seen that they were often in lots of mail and heavy aketons in this period... usually with mail coifs as well. The Manessa Codex has some interesting infantry kit but German not Scot or Irish. http://diglit.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/cpg...d0f3a2742b

In the end it partially depends on how well of Galls you wanted to portray and where and who you have served. Some of the betters perhaps drawn from wealthy families might have pairs of plates but since outside the Lowlands Scots seem to have progressed slowly with arms and armour I think you likely should shift back a few decades if looking at English or Lowland info.

Hope that helps.

RPM

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Steel gloves
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic