Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Taking a sword with airplane from USA to Europe Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Stephan Johansson

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Taking a sword with airplane from USA to Europe         Reply with quote

Hello!
Is it possible/legal to bring a sword (tritionia) in the luggage when you travel from USA to Europe.

I have a friend who live in Washington and I will visit him within 6 months.
I thought of ordering a 25%-off-sword from Albion to his adress and then bring it home after I have visited him.
Would that be possible?

Best Regards
Stephan
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I cannot answer specifically from US to Europe and indeed which country in Europe will matter as some have differing laws, but from my own experience as a maker and seller of knives, swords, weaponry in general that I have no problem flying with all manner of weapons as long as they are hold luggage.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd suggest getting a Locksing Riflecase that's TSA approved and can be locked by you.

Have it hand inspected at the baggage claim and lock it yourself.

You will have more dificulty exiteing and entering the US than you will with European customs.

Putting it down as "Fencing Equipment" works well.
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've travelled to the UK with a sword in a golf bag (and plastic hard case). I put a lock on the golf bag, but only because I didn't wan't people messing with it.

US customs and US airlines couldn't care less about swords. As long as he doesn't try to take it as a cary on, your friend will have no issues with the US...he doesn't even have to tell them what it is...they just don't care (though ask at the ticket counter to make sure that's still the case....the worst they'll do is put a sticker on it).

On the way out of Europe, he should definitely tell them what it is in case they have some regulations about marking the case, etc. I remember in the UK airport, on my way home, airport officials saying "there's the guy with the sword!". It was just curiousity on their part.

The UK also used to not care one bit, however laws may have changed...I was there in early 2007.

It really depends on the legality of the item in the country you are taking it to. So if swords are legal where he lives (they are) and they are legal where he is going, then he will have no problems.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Michael. The hard golf case is the best way to travel with swords. Fencers travel all the time like this. Mark the outside as fencing equipment. Don't volunteer information when not asked.
No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Stephan Johansson

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your answers!
Very tempting to buy something now!

Best regards
Stephan
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Keep in mind the hard Golf case will cost you about $120. You can find links to merchants who sell it on ebay.
No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When i flew to France I brought a sword in a suitcase no one cared. When I flew from France I just put weaponry in a cardboard box and no one cared, returning I
brought: 18 knives, 2 swords, an antique flintlock pistol, a bayonet, a percusion-lock antique pistol, a bow, 5 arrows, and some more knives...

Charles Stewart Rodriguez
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

p.s. you can get hard golf cases or hard gun cases used for cheaper. I bought one for $7 used at a local gun store.
Charles Stewart Rodriguez
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I actually had a soft golf bag with a plastic rifle case inside, not a hard golf bag, but it really doesn't make a difference. Swords are not restricted items in the US, much like axes, and no one will care what you do with one unless you walk around the street with it looking for trouble or something to that effect.
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Current italian law classifies sharpened swords as weapons, you could go into trouble on italian territory.

Same for halberds and spears
Douglas S

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Recently I flew with a sword domestically and I put in a rifle case. At check-in they said they had to look at whatever was inside and seemed to have been disappointed that it was "only" a sword.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I strongly suggest contacting the airports and airlines in question, be it via phone or their Web sites. Getting advice from anywhere else is simply opinion and conjecture and will not serve you as well as going directly to the source.

Having said that, while discussions like this are worthwhile in that we can share our collective experiences with each other, let's not forget that myArmoury.com is not an appropriate place for legal advice and any such conversations must be kept in context.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
I actually had a soft golf bag with a plastic rifle case inside, not a hard golf bag, but it really doesn't make a difference. Swords are not restricted items in the US, much like axes, and no one will care what you do with one unless you walk around the street with it looking for trouble or something to that effect.

Speaking of which... If I were to dress up in my 300 outfit for halloween, can I not walk around with my spear? I would keep the Windlass 300 falchion sheathed of course....
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:

Speaking of which... If I were to dress up in my 300 outfit for halloween, can I not walk around with my spear? I would keep the Windlass 300 falchion sheathed of course....

You'd be asking for trouble. You're not likely to be bothered, but technically you can be arrested.

What you should do is peace tie you sword like they do in Ren Faires...ties it into it's scabbard so you can't pull it out. You should also tie something onto any sharp parts of the spear so that they are not easily removed.

I do this on Halloween and I've had cops ask me if my sword was real...I said yes, but it's tied into the scabbard. I'm not sure if they were curious or looking to see if I was walking around with a deadly weapon ready to draw. As I said, technically, you can get arrested, though your chances of getting chagred and convicted are slim to none (not impossible and depents greatly on where you live).

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Taking a sword with airplane from USA to Europe
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic