Go to page 1, 2  Next

Which Albion would you buy?
OK, so I'm agonizing over what to buy. I just bought two prior to the price increase so I wasn't expecting to buy another sword for awhile. However, I did pay for the two that I bought by selling other stuff so I don't feel too guilty.
I was planning to wait for the Museum Line Munich but who knows when that will ever show up... So, here is my short list of other prospects:

The Dane (partly because it's still in development and I can sell some stuff in the meantime)

The Brescia Spadona (need I say more?)

The Landgraf (I would prefer to get this through Christian Fletcher because I want the "Gothic" grip and Albion won't do it)

The Gaddhjalt (I've wanted this one for awhile but it's the cheapest of the bunch so this discount as much incentive as the others)

The Huskarl (I've also wanted this one for awhile)

Any insights would be appreciated. In the end I'll have to make a decision but I'd like to get other peoples input. Please tell me what you would pick and why?
I suppose I should also include a list of what I already own:
St Maurice, Agincourt, Oakeshott, Valkryja, Ritter, Baron, Bayeux, Kingmaker, Crecy, Sovereign, Chieftain, Laird and Squire Line Viking
Well, the Brescia Spadona is museum grade and the most expensive on the list (therefore benefitting the most from the discount). It is my second favorite sword next to the Svante. Of that list, I would pick the Brescia Spadona. Next after the Brescia Spadona I would go for the Dane since it seems like it will be a very unique sword (and also more expensive).
As beautiful as the Dane will surely be, I would not put an order in for it, personally. It will not be released for quite some time. Why not buy something that you can enjoy without waiting? That way you can define the length of time needed to pay it off rather than waiting on the product to be released.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
As beautiful as the Dane will surely be, I would not put an order in for it, personally. It will not be released for quite some time. Why not buy something that you can enjoy without waiting? That way you can define the length of time needed to pay it off rather than waiting on the product to be released.

You're right about that. I thought I saw a prototype blade for the Dane posted somewhere on here so I thought they were getting closer to finishing it (closer than the Museum Line Munich at least). The last two swords I ordered from Albion arrived in about two weeks which was fine because I had sold stuff to pay for them before hand. I've put a lot of my liquid assets into stocks the past couple weeks so I don't have as much of a financial cushion as I usually enjoy. So the long wait for the Dane is a good thing at the moment. Not to mention another white box showing up at the house would irritate my wife if I can't point out something I've sold to pay for it.

Chris,

The Svante is of course the Rolls Royce of the line but I just can't take the hit on it. Plus it's getting into the price range of getting Patrick Barta to make a custom sword for me (I can dream...)
Nathan, looking at it from a 3rd party perspective, the hands-down choice would be the Brescia Spadona. You already have quite an envious collection of Albion single handers. The glaring hole is a "pointy" two-handed sword from later period. And this one maximizes the discount while still getting a fairly quick delivery.

But then again, anyone looking at my collection would note that the approach is anything BUT logical. I have a number of single handed cutters and I ordered a Reeve. In the end I guess you have to order the one that "speaks to you" the loudest. :D
Mike,

You are right. There isn't much logic to anything I do :D The one pulling me the most is actually the Gaddhjalt which is the cheapest and is in an edition of 1,000 (and single handed as you noted). The Reeve is a sweet sword. I had a difficult time choosing between that and the Bayeux. I love that broad type X blade on those. I went with the Bayeux because I have the St Maurice and intend to get the Gaddhjalt so I didn't want too many brazil nut pommels running around.
I say get the Brescia Spadona. I don't think you will get another chance to buy a Museum sword at 25% off.
Re: Which Albion would you buy?
Nathan Keysor wrote:
OK, so I'm agonizing over what to buy. I just bought two prior to the price increase so I wasn't expecting to buy another sword for awhile. However, I did pay for the two that I bought by selling other stuff so I don't feel too guilty.

The Huskarl (I've also wanted this one for awhile)

I would go with this one.

1) I remember Albion stating at some point that they are not likely to introduce any more 2-piece pommels in their Viking line, due to complexity and labor. So, get 'em while they're hot.

2) I've handled this one, along with most of their Viking Line (except the Knud, Valkyrja, and Jarl, of course). Despite the fact that it is a bigger blade than your Valkyrja (and my Stamford, for that matter...), I found it surprisingly-quick. More so than the Bayeux , Reeve, and Stamford, in fact. Of the Viking swords I've handled, only the Thegn was quicker.

3) You aren't likely to get it this cheap again, as it, the Hersir, and Jarl are the "halo" models in the current Viking lineup.
Jeremiah,

All excellent points. The reason I don't already own the Huskarl is because I've been a bit put off by the price (even more so after the price increase--ouch!) and have been hoping to pick one up second hand. I actually prefer it to the Valkryja but I bought that one because I was so impressed with all the work that Peter put into carving the waxes. I felt like I was doing my part to encourage Albion to do more intricate hilts :D The Huskarl I like because it is all business: simple, elegant and brutal.
Hi Nathan,

I have to second Mike Harris's nomination for the Brescia Spadona for the same reasons. I'm going to order a Gaddhjalt before Thursday because it fits my collection best at the moment. But in your case I think the Spadona would be the most complementary representation. Great collection of Albions, BTW.
Knowing what I know now, if I had no Albions and there was only one I could own it would be the Brescia Spadona. So umm..... buy the Brescia Spadona.
Well it looks like the Brescia Spadona is winning out so far :D From looking at the pics of the original in the other post in this section I note some markings on the blade which I don't think are present on the Albion reproduction. Can anyone confirm this discrepancy and do you know why they weren't included on the repro? My St. Maurice has the marking reproduced so I'm just curious why Albion didn't replicate this feature from the original. Illuminate me, please.
my interests have always leaned towards the Greek/Roman Classical era. i've pretty much talked myself into ordering the Allectus by the end of the week...

[ Linked Image ]
Huskarl---a fine weapon with lots of character!
I would buy
The Baron

The Knight

The Sherriff

The Knecht

One of the longer, thrusting swords, such as the Ringneck.
Nathan Keysor wrote:
Well it looks like the Brescia Spadona is winning out so far :D From looking at the pics of the original in the other post in this section I note some markings on the blade which I don't think are present on the Albion reproduction. Can anyone confirm this discrepancy and do you know why they weren't included on the repro? My St. Maurice has the marking reproduced so I'm just curious why Albion didn't replicate this feature from the original. Illuminate me, please.

The marks on the Brescia sword are inlaid brass or some other metal. Albion doesn't do blade inlays. It may also be a maker's mark which Albion doesn't reproduce.

The St. Maurice appears to be engraving, not inlay, and is not simply a maker's mark.
Chad Arnow wrote:
The marks on the Brescia sword are inlaid brass or some other metal. Albion doesn't do blade inlays. It may also be a maker's mark which Albion doesn't reproduce.

The St. Maurice appears to be engraving, not inlay, and is not simply a maker's mark.

OK
Thanks, Chad. It's too bad they don't reproduce that detail. The engravings on the St. Maurice add a lot of character.
It's hard to get the Dane out of my head after looking at the prototype blade here:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...-blade.htm
Nathan Keysor wrote:
It's hard to get the Dane out of my head after looking at the prototype blade here:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...-blade.htm

I agree. Perhaps you should call Mike at Albion and ask for an estimated completion date on the Dane. Even optimistically, I wouldn't guess sooner than 9 months and I'd not be surprised at over a year. I believe there are many other models ahead of this one but only Albion could tell you for sure.
You just reminded me that I forgot to mention in my post that I emailed Mike today for an estimate on the Dane. He said probably late next year.

Another sword of theirs that had slipped under my radar is the Vigil. Looking at the protype blade it looks like it will be a beauty. I hesitate to send Mike another inquiry because I doubt they'll let me preorder it.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p...ht=#131452
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: