Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Where to find Scotch-Brite pads in Canada? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Stephanie Maks

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Where to find Scotch-Brite pads in Canada?         Reply with quote

I've read several threads and several recommendations that the "Grey ScotchBrite" pads are the best choice for sword cleaning / maintenance. I've been looking high and low for these things and can't find any trace of them... I've even checked the manufacturer's website and visited some of the shops that they claim carry their products.

The best I could find was a "Scotch-Brite All Purpose Soap Pad" which is like steel wool with dry soap stuck to it. Is this safe to use on swords? The package says it will never scratch, but I'm still leery about trying it. And not keen on the soap either - the package says to scrub with water to engage the soap, and rust is sort of what I'm trying to avoid, not encourage!

Can anyone offer some suggestions on where to find the preferred pads, or give me a description (or picture even) of what they are, so I can find a reasonable alternative?

Thanks very much!

-Stephanie

Attachment: 91.57 KB
HPIM3160.JPG
The only ScotchBrite I could find around here...
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The pads you show above are not correct. Do not use those on a blade.

Using the forum's search feature, I came across This Topic.

You can buy the gray pads online through Amazon.com via myArmoury.com

3M Scotch-Brite Pads, 6 x 9

3M Scotch-Brite Ultra Fine Hand Pad Gray 6 in x 9 in 20 pads per box

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Stephanie Maks

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply Nathan! Unfortunately Amazon.com does not ship to Canada, and Amazon.ca doesn't appear to carry these. Amazon.ca has little more than books, cds, and dvds...not all the other neat stuff.

-Stephanie
Darren Tully

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

if you go to thef!nd.com you can get links to lots of retailers providing them
you'll have to o through them and see which ones willship to Canada
http://www.thefind.com/search?query=Scotch-Brite+Pads%2C+6+x+9
Sorry I cant do more for you Stephanie best of luck finding a retailer

Darren
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephanie Maks wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply Nathan! Unfortunately Amazon.com does not ship to Canada, and Amazon.ca doesn't appear to carry these. Amazon.ca has little more than books, cds, and dvds...not all the other neat stuff.

-Stephanie

If you go to the link I provided there is a link in there that says, "5 third-party copies". click that. it shows the different retailers that sell this item through amazon. I quickly looked at just two of them and they both provide shipping costs to Canada.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Stephanie Maks

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm I tried going through the Amazon cart and when I got to the checkout it told me that the order couldn't be sent to Canada... I'll try again.

I've just been checking out all the links at thefind.com to see what I could find there. It is kind of annoying that nobody actually in Canada seems to sell these things.. but I did find one retailer that described the product as a synthetic replacement for steel wool, which helps - I might be able to find something local that is similar.

Thanks again, both of you!

Edited to add: Ok I see what I did wrong before - I was trying to buy direct through Amazon.com but when I clicked on one of the individual supplier names, it let me put the order in that way. Thanks again!

-Stephanie
Steven McIntyre

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My local Rona has them in the same section as the sandpaper sold in packets of 2 sheets. I would assume that other hardware stores up here would have them too.
~PER ARDUA~
Stephanie Maks

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I tried Home Depot and Canadian Tire, neither had them... I checked the Rona website and didn't see them there either, but I haven't been to the Rona yet.

Ah well - I did place an order with one of the merchants listed through the amazon link.

Cheers!
Bill Love

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Grey Scotchbrite Pads         Reply with quote

This is a little out there, but it just might work if your Amazon order falls through. When I was painting U.S. Air Force aircraft, some shops were using something called X-it Precoat to prep the bare metal surfaces and then scrubbing them with grey Scotchbrite pads as per instructions. X-it Precoat is made in Canada if I remember right, so you might look them up and ask them where they get the pads they use to test their products-?
"History is a set of lies agreed upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte
Bill Love

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also, Mirka Abrasives (www.mirka.com/) makes flexible foam-backed polishing disks up to 4000 grit for color sanding and such. I have a bunch of old disks and use them to manually clean surface rust from anything that might be developing it. They will do the job without scratching the surface (or at least they did for me-a matte or brushed finish might take on a shine. Test first). Frankenschwert's Del Tin blade had rust spots when I got it, and they polished right out.

Attachment: 24.09 KB
P4110005 400 pixels.jpg

"History is a set of lies agreed upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephanie Maks wrote:
I tried Home Depot and Canadian Tire, neither had them... I checked the Rona website and didn't see them there either, but I haven't been to the Rona yet.

Ah well - I did place an order with one of the merchants listed through the amazon link.

Cheers!

Maybe it's not the same thing but the sanding sponges ( extra fine ) I buy at Canadian Tire and some type of synthetic steel wool that is sold in 9" X 11" ( approximative size ) and about 1/4" thick gives me good results as I've used them on Albion swords after a little sharpening to blend in the edges or remove light scratches and it matches the original finish.

So as long as the grit is about the same coarseness as the original finish these should work the same as the "Grey ScotchBrite" .

Kitchen scouring pads are not the same thing and regular steel wool can leave residue ( microscopic iron particles ) that can start rust.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Stephanie,

You might want to try WalMart in their kitchen area, or even the automotive area.

Let me know if you can't find them, maybe I'll buy a couple and ship to you.

Jeff

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." Julius Caesar
Stephanie Maks

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks again for the help everyone!

The order I put through the Amazon merchant was shipped so I'm just waiting on that. In the meantime, now that I know what they actually *are* (i.e. a sort of synthetic 'steel wool' / sanding pad) I have found lots of similar products with different names at my local hardware stores. There's even a thing that on the outside of the package says "3m stripping pad" and inside, on the back of the pad it faintly says 'Scotchbrite'. Confused

Cheers!
Richard Eskite

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephanie Maks wrote:
Thanks again for the help everyone!

The order I put through the Amazon merchant was shipped so I'm just waiting on that. In the meantime, now that I know what they actually *are* (i.e. a sort of synthetic 'steel wool' / sanding pad) I have found lots of similar products with different names at my local hardware stores. There's even a thing that on the outside of the package says "3m stripping pad" and inside, on the back of the pad it faintly says 'Scotchbrite'. Confused

Cheers!

When I first encountered this material, it was in a store that specialized in supplying body shops with paints, thinners, abrasives and cleaners. It was called Lacquer Services and I was actually looking for White Scotchbrite for a woodworking project at the time. My interest in Maroon Scotchbrite came later, but they sold both in bulk. You might try sourcing from body shop supply houses in Canada it you need more. Grainger Industrial supply has a Canadian subsidiary and they list Scotchbrite on their website in several different forms.
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scotch Brite is just a brand name. There are polishing pads like these available from any hardware store that sells metal working tools and supplies. Even some of the woodworking sandpaper companies mail order them in Ontario. Unless you are in a very small town, there will be some place that sells metal finishing and polishing supplies. I get mine from Grimes Abrasives in Toronto. (and Princess Auto when they have them instock.)

You are welcome to PM me and I'll try to direct you to somewhere that has them. Mail orders from the US for such little things is just a nuisance.
Bryson Cadle

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm in Calgary and I tried Rona and Canadian Tire and couldn't find anything ultra fine. I'll have to check out Princess Auto - was thinking of just stopping by an Autobody shop and asking them. Maybe I could check Home Depot as well.
Matt Brundle

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

3M makes foam backed sanding pads which are quite good for polishing pretty much any surface. I use them for metal and stone. Very durable and will tolerate use of oils without falling apart. They range from 200-3000 grit. 3000 is what many sculptors use the put mirror finish on stone. I use 1000-1500 to clean rust off of armour. They're available at the "big box" stores. If you can't find them there try a stone sculptor supply place (several online). Your local monument (gravestone) company might also help you out. Sorry I'm not posting a photo. Too bad we don't have serfs or apprentices to do the tedious hand polishing Happy

I think these are the pads to which many of you are referring.

www.aemma.org
Matt Brundle

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here we are;
http://www.sculpt.com/

go to online catalogue
click abrasive index
check out Micro-mesh
(this is the good stuff!)

www.aemma.org

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Where to find Scotch-Brite pads in Canada?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic