Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion next gen Roman photos / advice? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Carl W.

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Albion next gen Roman photos / advice?         Reply with quote

I had put such on back burner, but now... Does anyone have good photo(s) of the allectus or aquilifer? Or advice from owning? I need to choose, & the web site pics & sketches don't help me. Thanks!
Carl W.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Specific uncertainties from Albion's pics:

No decent res overall view, in the one they provide the Aquilifer's turn towards the tip appears to be a "sharp angle" rather than a curve. Can anyone who has one tell me if this is true, or perhaps is just a bad / low res photo crop job?

I lean towards fulham as 10% lighter, for quicker handling, but I do not want a "triangular" sword. Imo a leaf blade "should be" a smooth curve.

Also, perhaps less important, but the longer "drawn out" pommel in Aquilifer photos looks somewhat unattractive and out of proportion to me, on a 20" blade. But I recognize that it may feel and look different in person. Can anyone who has seen or handled both comment?

Thanks again.
Clayton Woods
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl W. wrote:
Specific uncertainties from Albion's pics:

No decent res overall view, in the one they provide the Aquilifer's turn towards the tip appears to be a "sharp angle" rather than a curve. Can anyone who has one tell me if this is true, or perhaps is just a bad / low res photo crop job?

I lean towards fulham as 10% lighter, for quicker handling, but I do not want a "triangular" sword. Imo a leaf blade "should be" a smooth curve.

Also, perhaps less important, but the longer "drawn out" pommel in Aquilifer photos looks somewhat unattractive and out of proportion to me, on a 20" blade. But I recognize that it may feel and look different in person. Can anyone who has seen or handled both comment?

Thanks again.

The Aquilifer is a Fulham pattern gladius which does, in fact, have a sharp angle at the turn to the triangular tip.

The Allectus, a Mainz pattern, is much more of a leaf shape blade and has a smoothed transition to the tip.

-----
Clayton R. Woods
Buckleheads Casting Dept.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Carl W.

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I ordered an Allectus (Mainz). Thanks Clayton. When I get it, maybe I'll try to figure out how to post an overall view photo for the next person.

I am still curious how certain we are that the Fulham gladius had a sharp angle, as opposed to at least somewhat of a curve (smoother transition), given the severe corrosion I see in posted museum photos. (But, museum pics are also not so detailed :-)

Carl
Clayton Woods
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl W. wrote:
I am still curious how certain we are that the Fulham gladius had a sharp angle, as opposed to at least somewhat of a curve (smoother transition), given the severe corrosion I see in posted museum photos. (But, museum pics are also not so detailed :-)

Carl

A question that is assuredly better answered by Peter. Happy

-----
Clayton R. Woods
Buckleheads Casting Dept.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you considered the Decurio? To me, the Decurio seems the most interesting... Apparently the prototype is almost done... I suspect I should have the Decurio within the next 3-5 months.
Carl W.

PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris,

I agree spatha are interesting (my interest is "very very old"), & next gen I'd have some hopes for, as prior gen & other spatha makes out there I've seen so far seem unrefined to me (for lack of a better word) except for a beautiful one by John L at Odin. But I had trouble deciding on a gladius based on available photos, I'd have never been able to decide based on just a sketch.

Having said that, not sure how many swords I'll end up with, & I may go viking next. Ancient piracy appeals, though not sure how my only boat (canoe :-) would perform in the north sea.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion next gen Roman photos / advice?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic