Illustrations of pike vs. pike battles
Inspired by the Alatriste movie I would like to gather contemporary or modern depictions of pike vs. pike combat.

Here a few pics to start with:

Attachment: 64.95 KB
pikes.jpg

Attachment: 136.35 KB
Bad-war.jpg
The famous Hohlbein picture. It's not the complete picture though. I saw a larger version somewhere once.
Holy Moly, am I looking at it wrong or is the guy in the kettle helmet in the foreground supposed to be cut completely in two ?
J. D. Carter wrote:
Holy Moly, am I looking at it wrong or is the guy in the kettle helmet in the foreground supposed to be cut completely in two ?

The one on the first picture? I rather think this is a depiction of a battle on ice, frozen lake or some such. The guy has fallen into a crack in the ice...
Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
J. D. Carter wrote:

The one on the first picture? I rather think this is a depiction of a battle on ice, frozen lake or some such. The guy has fallen into a crack in the ice...

I was intrigued enough to race down to the station where I dispatch and fetch my bifocals where I left them after shift. You would think it would be easy to remember that one can't see bubkis but I am new to glasses and constantly forget them.

It's clearer now. I can even tell what I thought was a severed head and legs are sticking up from holes.

I'm certainly no tactician but I wouldn't have minded eavesdropping on the battle depicted during that war council.

" Yesterday was so tedious, push , stab, repeat . " " You know what would really make this fight interesting " ha.
Interesting. The these pictures look just like a typical SCA Pensic battle. In the first picture the spears usually create a no-man's land in between and snipe at each other. The second picture is what it looks like when one side decides to over-run the other. That is a big mess of bodies piling up and spears sticking out everwhere. It is very hard for spears to work when the two sides crash into each other like this.
I got few more pictures to throw in:

Attachment: 37.57 KB
Schweiz1_BM_Berlin__584922g.jpg
It' is a more modern fresco showing the Battle of Murten. Does anyone know where it is located?

Attachment: 143.29 KB
Winkelried_at_Sempach.jpg
A very romantic 19th century picture of the Battle of Sempach (actually of the Winkelried tale). Nevertheless an interesting interpretation on how to break into a pike formation.
Here is another picture I would like to throw in.

It shows the battle of Pavia. Unfortunately in the book it was not mentioned where that illustration comes from.

Attachment: 138.05 KB
Pavia.jpg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: