Scimitar Expert Needed
I am looking for a UK based person who is an expert on a falx, falcatta or kopis.
We are making a documentary series for the History channel and need someone who would be able to talk on camera about these types of swords and who could demonstrate the use of one.
If you can help, please message me at Chilebops@aol.com
many thanks
Sian Lewis
Re: SCIMITAR EXPERT NEEDED
Sian Lewis wrote:
I am looking for a UK based person who is an expert on a falx, falcatta or kopis.

Those count as scimitars? :wtf:
yes, a scimitar is a generic term that can be used for almost any middle eastern or south asian sword with a curved blade.
Sian Lewis wrote:
yes, a scimitar is a generic term that can be used for almost any middle eastern or south asian sword with a curved blade.

that may be correct but none of those swords are middle eastern or south asian. The Kopis is greek, the falcata is Iberian and the falx was both Dacian and Thracian. Therefore all three are European swords.
Hence you will understand why I am looking for an expert, lol :lol:
I'd try Tobias Capwell at the Wallace Collection. He's done this kind of program before, with Mike Loades. Loades would also be an excellent choice because he does some work with ancient technology. Both understand the needs of television (Loades, especially) and the balance between education and entertainment.

You'll find Loades here:

http://mikeloades.co.uk/cms/index.php

Find Capwell at the WC (and also associated with the Loades site)
Hi Sean
thanks for that, we actually work quite closely with Mike Loades, he did a lot for us on our last series. His passion for ancient technology translates really well to the screen.
I've not come across Tobias before, I'll given him a try.
Thanks again
Sian
Dear Sian,

Since the weapons in which you're interested are ones used in the ancient world--the falcata and the falx in particular were characteristic of adversaries of Rome--you may want to post your request on the Roman Army Talk forum:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/
I believe you'll have to register in order to post there.

I hope this proves helpful.

Mark Millman
To start, check out this thread:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ht=falcata

Make sure to read through to the end, as there is some misinformation early on. Fernando Quesada Sanz (fernando.quesada@uam.es), who also replied in the thread is the man to talk about regarding these weapons, as he's studied many of them closely, and has a lot of publications on the subject under his name.
Scimitar Expert Needed
Seems to me like Sian doesn't know what scimitars are. (It's just my opinion)
Re: Scimitar Expert Needed
Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
Seems to me like Sian doesn't know what scimitars are. (It's just my opinion)

This comment is not only unnecesary, it is rude. The original poster came here looking for help, and your post only bumped the thread up for the purpose of claiming he is ignorant. Do not make another post like this again. And don't reply to this post if you feel the need to say something. PM me instead.
I think the problem is that scimitar is generally somehow unclear term.

Is Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scimitar definition correct? Is "scimitar" just some summary word for many different swords?
A lot of our designations are strictly arbitrary.

The only places I can begin to think of are the Higgins Armory museum in Massachusetts, and any of the armories in Europe. I don't quite know how many there are, but there's a good shot you'll find someone. Hope it helps.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: