Go to page Previous  1, 2

You betcha!
I was wondering if you would catch the glint of the Venetian there, Nathan! Well done. I do like that sword quite a bit, and it gets lots of oohs and ahhs from friends and guests.
Hi all,

If you want to have a pretty good idea of what the Svante Nilsson's pommel would look like with small figures of saints in the recesses, I'd suggest you take a look at one of Powning latest creation, his XVIIIa longsword, Du-Sith.

http://www.powning.com/jake/availabl/availabl.shtml

Jake made this wonderfull and mean looking sword a few month after attending to Owen's Bush forge gathering in London. As lazlo mentionned a few post ago, Peter Johnson was here also and there was much talk beetween the two about the swante's pommel. Even if it isn't explicitly said, I'm pretty sure that sword is Jake's take on this question.

Congrats on your puchase Jonathan! I Have handled Peter's Johnson personnal copy of the sword at the O Bush gathering, and it was very hard to let that one go!

Cheers,

J

Attachment: 5 KB
powning.jpg

I was skeptical about using gemstones, but I was wrong. What you have here may not correspond to the known originals, but the treatment has a very appealing medieval look to it, both in design and execution. Understated and original. Well done!
JWE,
I really like the end result. Most folks probably know I am drawn to the ornate, even opulent. Your jeweler did a great job on the design and now you have made a fine sword even better.
I often thought if I was to be killed by the edge of a blade, I would rather have the killing blow be from a jeweled masterpiece of a Lord or Knight, than a rusty old peasants weapon. Thats just me :lol:
Sam
Ain't it cool
Sean and Sam, thanks, and if you don't mind me singling you out, Sean, special thanks for you. I like hearing that the skeptical mind ultimately supports an idea. It means a lot that a) you like it and b) you were ready NOT to.

The cut of the stones themselves, being a "medieval" cut without the modern many-faceted frilliness of a princess cut, etc., probably helps keep the tone of the pommel in the right era. The jeweler made up the frame shape of the gold on his own. I am really pleased with that guy. He's gonna be happy when Yule comes around and I go ring shopping for my sweetie.

jwe
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: