[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...2244594917

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Sun 16 May, 2004 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Can't forget this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...2244594917

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
Hey Stephen

I was just editing my post to include that one *g*

Great minds and all that ;-) Mac
Stephen

Could you add these 2 baskethilts to our library , using your multi-imaging magic ?

Thanks, Mac
Hi Thomas and Stephen,
Well, I WAS going to post these yesterday, but got lazy. Now I don't need to!

That's a pretty nice Scottish basket on the sword being offered by Yorky; the current high bidder is sometimes on SFI.

The English sword of Yorky's is also decent; I like that large, squished sphere of a pommel!

--ElJay
E.B. Erickson wrote:
Hi Thomas and Stephen,
Well, I WAS going to post these yesterday, but got lazy. Now I don't need to!
That's a pretty nice Scottish basket on the sword being offered by Yorky; the current high bidder is sometimes on SFI.
The English sword of Yorky's is also decent; I like that large, squished sphere of a pommel!
--ElJay

Hi Eljay

Yep, the Scottish piece is quite nice ...... we'll have to keep an eye on it ;-)

If you see "claidheamhmac" bidding you'll know I'm on the prowl *g*

Mac
Thomas McDonald wrote:
Could you add these 2 baskethilts to our library , using your multi-imaging magic ?

Done.
Quote:
Mac

Mac,

You do need to add another antique to your collection. You have to start balancing out your antique basket-hilt to fine reproduction basket-hilt ratio. :cool:
E.B. Erickson wrote:

--ElJay

Hi ElJay,

I like the pommel too. I find these early English hilts very appealing due to their larger pommels and rather simplistic basket design.

Attachment: 65.43 KB
English Arsenal.jpg
5 English Basket-hilts
Stephen A. Fisher wrote:
Thomas McDonald wrote:

Done.
Quote:
Mac

Mac,

You do need to add another antique to your collection. You have to start balancing out your antique basket-hilt to fine reproduction basket-hilt ratio. :cool:

Nice job, Stephen .... thank you !

Yes, I certainly need to balance out the modern with more of the old !
Just wish them rusty old thang-z's weren't soooo expen$ive *g*

Mac
And speaking of expensive... this one just showed up on eBay today. #2245325545.

--ElJay

Attachment: 21.94 KB
ebayscot.jpg

I looked at this one today and almost choked!

You're safe Mac - NO chance of me bidding against you on this one :p
wow. I love that English Basket hilt, it is stunning. The simplicity of it makes it so beautiful. anyone know of a similar replica?
Relicman has another baskethilt up on auction ..... this one is an S-hilt !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...2245859626

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

As the fuller runs right to the tip I'm assuming the blade has been shortened at some point ( pun intended ;-)

[ Linked Image ]

Mac
Relicman has been coming up with a slew of baskets in the last 4 months or so. Isn't he the guy that had the John Allan up for auction earlier?

Hey Joel,
No one makes a repro of the early 1600s English baskets right now, but that style will be one prototyped and considered for Atrim's compound hilt line next year.

--ElJay
sweet! :D
So here's the results so far:

Yorky's 2244586652 ended with the reserve not being met, but it was purchased after auction ending by a collector I know.

2245325545 was ended by the seller because someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse-reportedly well in excess of his opening bid!

--ElJay
Thanks for the update, Eljay !
I figured some wealthy collector would snatch up that Glasgow piece .... it was very nice !

Any thoughts on why the saltire plates were cut in half on the S-hilt ?
Vince & I have been scratching our heads !

Mac
Constructional??
Well I should keep my mouth shut and let Eljay comment. But I am a hot buttered rum and two good glasses of scotch into the evening and while I may have the right to remain silent I no longer have the ability :lol:

It looks almost constructional to me. ie It was made that way. There does not seem to be evidence of a cut being done and the elements seem to be in thoughtful assembly pieces. But I maybe completly bonkers (see above).

I look forward to Eljay's enlightening comments.

Best my friends
Craig

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Thanks for the update, Eljay !
I figured some wealthy collector would snatch up that Glasgow piece .... it was very nice !

Any thoughts on why the saltire plates were cut in half on the S-hilt ?
Vince & I have been scratching our heads !

Mac
Ha! Enlightening comments? I'm with Vince and Thomas, as I've been scratching my head about that, too! I also agree with Craig in that things do look pretty kosher overall! Here's the only pertinent observations I've got:

1. The saltire plates are missing the top & bottom heart piercings due to the sectioning.
2. The forward guards have a really odd alignment.
3. Ram's horns are missing from the rearguard spaces (made without them? Awful lot of emptiness in the upper part of the rearguard space if that's the case).

The above raise mre questions for me. Are we looking at a damaged hilt that has been partially repaired but never finished? Are just the saltire plates and forward guards replacements, perhaps from another broken hilt? Did someone think that the saltire plates were too wide, and narrowed them by sectioning them--but got carried away, took out too much material and never welded things back together?

Lots of questions, but no answers! Think I'll go work on swords for an hour or two.

--ElJay
Idea
With the hilt being reduced in size and the blade being shortened may this be an alteration to creat a child's sword?

This would also account for no attempt to reconnect the plates they would not be facing combat but pretend dragon slaying!

Craig
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: