Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL Combination pistol/cutlery set Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: MRL Combination pistol/cutlery set         Reply with quote

When I was researching Combination Weapons for myArmoury's spotlight article on them, I came across something I thought was just way too much fun: a set of cutlery with pistols built into the handles:

Now Museum Replicas is offering a non-firing version of this same set (or a similar one):

Pretty fun stuff.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cooks beware! What an odd combination....
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bet the owner of those rarely had to say

"Leftovers again?"
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's awesome that MRL is reproducing these! If they ever do the book with the guns inside, I would buy that in a heartbeat. Happy I love these types of things!
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With the real ones it seems like an accident waiting to happen Eek! I guess they didn't have ambulance chasing lawyers in the 18th century dealing with product safety liability issues. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Probably just because people liked novelty items or gimmicks even then.

I guess a traveller eating a meal at an establishment of ill repute would have a " surprise " in hand if needed or if they displayed them openly it might have a " deterrent effect " or distract from the much more practical pocket pistol they might have concealed ? But mostly just a cute conversation piece ?

Or I'm seriously overthinking it. Razz Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Christopher H

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some double barreled conversation pieces! Wink

Dan P

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
With the real ones it seems like an accident waiting to happen

I imagine some chap firing the fork pistol for the first time, and the recoil kicking it straight out of his hand into his stomach.
Or, shooting himself while eating.
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does any one know why the triggers on the original seem to bend backwards to what one normally sees on triggers? I might have expected a straight trigger, but have not seen other examples of triggers bending backwards like these.

Also, am I looking at thes correctly -- you have to hold the blade of the knife while firing the gun? Would the original knife have been sharp, or more like a butter knife? I would expect that even with a small charge in the barrel and an unsharpened blade, this would be a bit uncomfortable on the hand to shoot. But then, when dealing with novelty pieces, I guess function is often times a secondary consideration.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Marc Pengryffyn

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first thought with these is the odds of shooting myself in the chest while carving my dinner. Now that would be an embarrassing epitaph!

Marc

Tradition is the illusion of permanence.
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I dont think there would be that much danger unless they used them with the hammers cocked.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Goerner wrote:
Does any one know why the triggers on the original seem to bend backwards to what one normally sees on triggers? I might have expected a straight trigger, but have not seen other examples of triggers bending backwards like these.

The modern photo of the man holding the item is likely staged incorrectly. I'd presume that the items are meant to be hold "as if eating" and then, when the time came to pull the trigger, the wrist would be cocked back to aim the barrel at the target. This would mean that the "arch" of the trigger would still be arcing away from the target and pointing upwards. Flipping the entire item in hand and holding the blade/foot covered utensil end is not necessary.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
A.A. Boskaljon

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lovely, just lovely. I really like these kind of small weapons. A little bit expensive for me to buy them just for fun right now. But who knows, maybe later Happy
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
The modern photo of the man holding the item is likely staged incorrectly. I'd presume that the items are meant to be hold "as if eating" and then, when the time came to pull the trigger, the wrist would be cocked back to aim the barrel at the target. This would mean that the "arch" of the trigger would still be arcing away from the target and pointing upwards. Flipping the entire item in hand and holding the blade/foot covered utensil end is not necessary.

Nathan -- If I understand what you are saying correctly, when firing the piece your hand and wrist would be at the front of the lock with the lock upside down. If that's the case, wouldn't your grip on the gun interfere with the operation of the lock? I could certainly be wrong, but the orientation of the lock leads me to believe the modern photo has the gun being held correctly. But the orientation of the triggers still has me wondering Confused

Sic Semper Tyranus
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Goerner wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Nathan -- If I understand what you are saying correctly, when firing the piece your hand and wrist would be at the front of the lock with the lock upside down. If that's the case, wouldn't your grip on the gun interfere with the operation of the lock? I could certainly be wrong, but the orientation of the lock leads me to believe the modern photo has the gun being held correctly. But the orientation of the triggers still has me wondering Confused

I think that describes it but would add some questions like wouldn't the locks have to be cocked first which means either eating with them cocked or having to cock them quickly ? Doesn't sound very safe to eat with them ready to fire. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Upside down locks: Wouldn't the priming risk falling out or would the lock time be fast enough to avoid misfires ?

Anyone out there with a flintlock want to try shooting one upside down for us ? Or already know how much the odds of a misfire happening compared to normal use ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know. That's how all of my firearm silverware works...
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL Combination pistol/cutlery set
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic