Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Wedding Sword is Complete: Photos and ThoughtsProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Wedding Sword is Complete: Photos and Thoughts         Reply with quote

Stats:

Weight: 2 lbs 14 ounces
Overall Length: 38 and 3/4 inches
Grip: 6 inches
Blade Length: 30 inches from guard
Point of Balance: approx. -1 inches from guard
Center or Percussion: approx. 17 inches from guard
Distal Taper
At Crossguard -.4 cm
At COP - .3 cm

Initial Impressions:
A True modern Day Relic, for modern sagas

History:
This sword has its birth in a private message I received from Matthew Stagmer asking me if I would care to review a sword from his company (BKS or Baltimore Knife and Sword). I replied that instead of reviewing a stock sword model, I wanted to commission a custom piece. I had no idea what journey I had started. Originally this sword was to be based off of the famous XVIIIa in the Metropolitan Museum of Art found on page 189 of Records of the Medieval Sword. I wanted it to incorporate a hazel and honeysuckle thematic element. A few months later once both parties were able to commit to a definite move forward, I requested we keep the main themes of honeysuckle and hazel, but incorporate some other elements evocative of my upcoming wedding. Instead of a unity candle, my bride and I wanted a “unity sword”. I really gave Matt full reins from there. Here are some of the highlights that make this sword so unique and special:

• The blade was forged under the light of an eclipse
• The grip is made of hazel wood, vacuum stabilized in a mixture of blessed frankincense and honeysuckle
• The pommel and cross guard are made of forged and shaped wrought iron
• A replica crusader coin and garnet are set in the pommel
• Silver bands adorn the grip as spacers/stabilization
• Engraved on the blade are the names of our two families: Arledge and Bostian

Impressions:
This sword had to be special. It will be an heirloom I will pass down to the next generation. It will be a blessed and holy symbol of our marriage, reminding us of the honor, pride, dignity and magic of the sword through Western History. A reminder of knightly virtue, and my willingness to defend my family, my home and all I hold dear. I knew throughout the entire creative process that BKS was pouring an awful lot of creative energy and magic into its construction, and a lot of heart.
Now that it is in my possession, I can say that BKS delivered on my every hope and expectation. This sword is beautiful. It is also unique in shape and handling. I don’t know quite how to describe its presence… it has a balance point set behind the guard… a razor like blade that has an incredible temper and audible ring. It handles like a lightsaber, almost to the point if being too fast. But it really is better as a two handed weapon. One handed, there is just a bit too much weight in the pommel. Two handed though, it’s perfect. It cuts soft targets like water bottles very well, effortless, lightsaber-like in its cutting power. It honestly devastates targets with no vibration in the blade and no resistance from the object. Its edge is not overly sharp, but it plows through targets.

Thank you so much BKS, this is a sword, an heirloom that will never leave my family. It will be an integral part of our new life beginning next weekend with our wedding. I hope that some forum members will eventually get to come to Indy when I can plan a cutting party and experience this wonderful sword first-hand.

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides

Last edited by Mike Arledge on Sat 13 Sep, 2008 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Arledge

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also, here is a link to a cutting video of it, it is my first attempt at video, so apologies for the side angle... anyone know how to rotate something like this?

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the look.

It's ornamented, but it stay's simple. Those wood grip looks really great with those celtic like motives.

And it cuts quite nicely, as I can see.

It's just swordy plain, and simply. Big Grin

Doesn't such heavy pommel balance take away a bit authority from the cut? It's looks massive, and this point of balance...

Anyway, since I probably will never be in Indy, let me wish you all the best on your new way of life.
And all stuff that I should wish the newlyweds, my english fails me a bit in this matter Blush

Last edited by Bartek Strojek on Sat 13 Sep, 2008 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Arledge

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bartek Strojek wrote:
I like the look.

It's ornamented, but it stay's simple. Those wood grip looks really great with those celtic like motives.

And it cuts quite nicely, as I can see.

It's just swordy plain, and simply. Big Grin

Doesn't such heavy pommel balance take away a bit authority from the cut? It's looks massive, and the this point of balance...

Anyway, since I probably will never be in Indy, let me wish you all the best on your new way of life.
And all stuff that I should wish the newlyweds, my english fails me a bit in this matter Blush

Thank you for the kind wishes. Its true that the POB being farther back likely does take away from the cut, but for whatever reason, whether its blade geometry or what, this thing can cut very well. I think the heat treate gave it a good deal of flex for the cut, but the cross section keeps a nice spine as well. All in all, its fun to cut with.

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like it turned out very nice. I love the overall design of both the blade and hilt. Looks like it would be a nice weapon for both cutting and thrusting. Hope it keeps serving you well.

Congrats and good luck on the wedding! Take care!

RPM
Christopher H

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What a very cool sword! Happy

On the topic of point of balance, at that length the blade sounds like it'll have enough mass behind it such that might not be much of an issue.
My mind works in basic physics... momentum/inertia is easier for me to understand that this rotational stuff!
Mike Arledge

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher H wrote:
What a very cool sword! Happy

On the topic of point of balance, at that length the blade sounds like it'll have enough mass behind it such that might not be much of an issue.
My mind works in basic physics... momentum/inertia is easier for me to understand that this rotational stuff!

Thanks! I am in the same boat about my mind... I just try to do my best to explain my thoughts when I write.

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was honored to be a part of this with you Mike. My favorite piece that I have made to date.
Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 07 Oct, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wedding sword is definitely an interesting idea.

Not sure my wife would have gone for it.

Rather cool that others will.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
J. D. Carter

PostPosted: Tue 07 Oct, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword is a real beauty.

I wanted to view the cutting video but no matter how long I sit I just get ' loading ' without it every playing.

Since it's a wedding sword I'm curious how you and the new Lady Arledge intend to fit it into the ceremony. Different cultures have different ways. Did you borrow from existing traditions or make a new one your unique own ?
Mike Arledge

PostPosted: Wed 08 Oct, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. D. Carter wrote:
The sword is a real beauty.

I wanted to view the cutting video but no matter how long I sit I just get ' loading ' without it every playing.

Since it's a wedding sword I'm curious how you and the new Lady Arledge intend to fit it into the ceremony. Different cultures have different ways. Did you borrow from existing traditions or make a new one your unique own ?

We did not incorporate it directly into our ceremony, rather, we had the priest (I am Catholic) do a special blessing of it as a symbol of the strength of our union after the service. It was quiet and private and perfect. It was not used to cut the cake.

Thanks!

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Wedding Sword is Complete: Photos and Thoughts         Reply with quote

Mike,
Looks like your video had to be viewed horizontally.
Mike Arledge

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Wedding Sword is Complete: Photos and Thoughts         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
Mike,
Looks like your video had to be viewed horizontally.

Yeah, I don't own any editing software Happy

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Wedding Sword is Complete: Photos and ThoughtsProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic