Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion website. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Tomas Kringen

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Albion website.         Reply with quote

Hey there.

I get security warnings from google when I visit the Albion webpage. Anyone else get this?

Quote:
Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for albion-swords.com/swords/

What is the current listing status for albion-swords.com/swords/?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 2 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 10 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 4 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 09/10/2008, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 09/01/2008.

Malicious software includes 6 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 12 new processes on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including madway.net.

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, albion-swords.com/swords/ did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:

* Return to the previous page.
* If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.

I'm currently looking to purchase a sword, but this thing kinda discourages me from buying from Albion.

Signature says hallo
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I go to their site almost daily (yes, I am and adict). I've never had any issues.... Are you going to the Albion Europe site? Just realized you were overseas.... I wouldn't worry about it though. You can always email them what you want and then call in your credit card info.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Albion Europe site has been down since 21 Aug which, if I remember correctly, was the first time Google detected malware on the Albion-swords website.
Jim S.

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have had a similar problem accessing Albion for about 10 days. After reading this thread, I tried again, and the same warning screen appeared. I don't understand what the problem might be but, I'm afraid to access the site with this type of warning.

Reported Attack Site!

This web site at www.albion-swords.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just tried it with Internet Explorer and Firefox and didn't get any errors. My IE also has McAfee site advisor built in and it didn't indicate any issued either.

This issue has been brought up several times on our forums in the last month. Has anyone contacted Albion to let them know?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I contacted Albion about this about a week ago, and Mike said that the site had been attacked, but should be safe now. It's just taking a little while for it to be re-listed as a safe site.
www.addisondelisle.com
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got the same warnings on my own machine running PC-Cillin against the U.S. site.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
I got the same warnings on my own machine running PC-Cillin against the U.S. site.

Albion should get on it though as it is not good for business if people can't access your site or if they do they are going against a warning if their browser will even let them override the warning.

1) There could be some malware infecting Albion ?

2) It could be over sensitive security measures giving " red flag " false positives ?

3) Other tech issues I'm not aware of ? New security measures by the browsers with default warnings to sites " THEY " haven't cleared or maybe gotten a fee to clear the site as being " clean ". Question Confused WTF?!

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never gotten any of those warnings and all my machines, including my ones running windows, are completely clean. Sometimes, and you have to watch for this, a site will be labeled as dangerous by your Security solution due to a software conflict between the site certificate and your local program or because the sites cert has expired, although you should get n expired cert message in that case it's not always the case. Also if your running a mac os and norton for os x that causes all sorts of problems in and of itself. I can tell you that in years of going to Albions site at least three times a week and doing online transactions with them I've never (Knock on wood) had a security issue.
Winter is coming
James H.

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have also gotten this warnings when connecting to the US site. For some reason I get only when connecting with my Firefox and not with my Internet Explorer 7 . I think it has something to do with what search engine you are using. Anyways this was happen when I bought my next gen, Squire and I was some what worried but I received it with no problems, I ordered by phone though.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please stop the speculation. It is not helpful for anyone.

Albion's site was hacked. Malicious software was temporarily put on it. During this short window, the site was reported and marked as an unsafe site. The site was then quickly restored to the unaffected version and all malicious code was removed. The holes that caused for the hacking were plugged. Albion then had to wait for the site to reviewed again and confirmed that it is safe and whatnot. This process takes time.

End of story.

How did I learn this stuff? I asked Albion and I did not speculate.

Thank you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Tomas Kringen

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Albion's site was hacked. Malicious software was temporarily put on it. During this short window, the site was reported and marked as an unsafe site. The site was then quickly restored to the unaffected version and all malicious code was removed. The holes that caused for the hacking were plugged. Albion then had to wait for the site to reviewed again and confirmed that it is safe and whatnot. This process takes time.

End of story.

Thank you.

I think an official statement would be appropriate. as a potential first time customer I have no way of knowing this.

Signature says hallo
Emmet J. McGauran

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Out of interest, has anybody actually ordered from Albion or more specifically Albion Europe recently, and if so have you be told about any long delays on hand and a half swords?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tomas Kringen wrote:
I think an official statement would be appropriate. as a potential first time customer I have no way of knowing this.

I knew it by sending them an email. This method is available to anyone. I've encouraged them to post a statement on the Makers forum or on their home page.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tomas Kringen wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

End of story.

Thank you.

Tomas, call Mike at Albion he will give you the full story. He did so for me a few weeks ago when this was a problem.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, here is the official statement:

On August 14, all Albion sites and the Albion Europe site were hacked by a Chinese webserver and trojan horse viruses inserted into all of our pages.

On August 21, we were able to get back into our site, changed all the passwords, and reuploaded the Albion sites. They have since been certified as virus-free by Symantech and Google - however, for some reason some versions of Firefox are still showing the sites as infected.

I have written to Google, etc several times trying to make sure that these warnings go away, but have been unsuccessful so far...

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howy, do you know specifically what malware was inserted?
Thanks,
Dan
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Dan.

They know exactly what was inserted, when it was inserted and the extent of what happened.

I think that I was the first person to report the issue to them, and they jumped right on it and went straight into damage control mode. They had things fixed very quickly. What was inserted was very, very low risk and if you had any AV software it would have prevented any issues.

I work in the IT field and Albion responded to the incident better and quicker than some fortune 500 companies I work with.

Mike, Howie and the rest of the group handled the situation with expediency and the best interests of their customers in mind.

I wouldn't worry about the situation at all.

Last edited by Thomas Jason on Sat 13 Sep, 2008 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So what's happened with the Albion Europe site? That seems to have been down since 21 Aug. Is it the same problems?
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Ok, here is the official statement:

On August 14, all Albion sites and the Albion Europe site were hacked by a Chinese webserver and trojan horse viruses inserted into all of our pages.

On August 21, we were able to get back into our site, changed all the passwords, and reuploaded the Albion sites. They have since been certified as virus-free by Symantech and Google - however, for some reason some versions of Firefox are still showing the sites as infected.

I have written to Google, etc several times trying to make sure that these warnings go away, but have been unsuccessful so far...

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Best,

Howy

I think you should also seek advice at Firefox's developers website (http://www.mozilla.org).

It has probably to do with one of their extensions.

I get it also with Google chrome, however.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion website.
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: