Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > hand pavise project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
M. Johnston

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: hand pavise project         Reply with quote

In the big discussion on pavises I mentioned a year (or two?) ago that I was planing on building a hand pavise sometime soon. "Sometime soon" finally came around a couple weeks ago and I banged the thing out in time for our big local SCA demo that we have every year. I still have a bit of painting left to do, but because the semester is started again I am stuck painting stupid things for classes - so I'm pretending this project is done and posting it rather than waiting another six months or a year to post about it... I took a bunch of photos (not as many as I should have though) of the project as it was coming along. I hope it is okay to post a link to an off-site page I made for this project. I made it for use with SCA rattan fighting and fencing, and it has held up to a few bouts of each - looking forward to seeing how it deals with more abuse.

anyways, thought some folks from the various pavise discussions might find it interesting. It's a first attempt, I hope to make a couple more someday so I can play around with other more period methods and materials.

here's a link to it's page: http://mailmaker.tripod.com/armor/pavise1.html

I'm hoping that this might stir up some more discussion on these, and maybe give some people who have been thinking about building one some ideas or more sharing of information all that fun sort of stuff.

Matthew
Steven H

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this.

I myself tried to figure out how to do the gutter for a pavise but couldn't come up with anything I liked. But I like your solution.

Cheers,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very awesome!

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Michael Ekelmann

PostPosted: Sat 20 Sep, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent! I've been looking at making a hand pavise and was puzzled at how to do the gutter. I saw on the armour archive that another person was making one by bending plywood on a form. The few pavises that I've managed to see up close were so heavily painted that I couldn't tell how they were made.
“Men prefer to fight with swords, so they can see each other's eyes!" Sean Connery as Mulay Hamid El Raisuli in The Wind and the Lion

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > hand pavise project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic