Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Oakeshott type XVIIIa longsword, Du-Sith - by Jake Powning Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Andrew Davis

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Oakeshott type XVIIIa longsword, Du-Sith - by Jake Powning         Reply with quote

He's at it again...
And his work never ceases to blow me away.
Always something completely new. based off of a historical reference but crafted with an artistic style completely his own.

Check out Jake Powning’s most recent work:

Not sure if this is going to be one he will sell or not. and not sure if he will make a scabbard to go along with it.

But either way bloody amazing work as usual!

Here is his description:

"I am called Du-Sith and you were better to have me with you than against you." - from the battle of Trai-Guinard, in Islay, Scotland 1598, credited to a faerie who helped sir James MacDonald named Du-Sith (dark elf)

This is a sword wich I've made as a study of some of the swords I was able to handle at the Victoria and Albert Museum this spring thanks to Todd and Owen Bush. It is especially an attempt to put into practice some of the lessons about balance that I learned from Peter Johnsson.
It's a very light fast sword, with a 50% distal taper. The grip is wenge and the pomel and guard are silicon bronze, with sterling silver 'genuis cuculatus' inset in the pomel. it's meant to be a reflection of the 1500's through the shifting mirror of the Celtic otherworld.
Here are the stats:

weight - 1lbs14.6oz / 0.867 kg

OAL - 41"
blade length - 32"
hilt length - 9"

point of balance - 3 1/4" from guard

blade node - 18 1/2" from guard

grip node - 3 1/2" in from guard, aproximately in the center of the grip.

forward pivot point - tip of blade

aft pivot point - 9 1/2" from guard, right around the end of the fuller

The blade is 1084 steel.
With this sword in your hand you develop an irrational urge to slap someone with a glove...
Andrew Davis

PostPosted: Mon 18 Aug, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No one interested in Pownings work!!????? Eek!

What’s this world coming to. Worried

lol

www.MADdwarfWorkshop.com
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Aug, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been watching Jake for a while. I passed on one of his swords on ebay a few years back and have been kicking myself ever since. I might have to win the lottery to afford one of his pieces but man it doesn't hurt to look........... or does it?

On a side note, your works not to shabby if I do say so myself there Andrew. I LOVE the broken back sax, Grundag on your available page. And Dwagine as well. Nice work indeed. I'll be wanting to pick something up from you soon before your prices go the way of Jakes. Keep up the good work you two.

Winter is coming
Andrew Davis

PostPosted: Mon 18 Aug, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:
I've been watching Jake for a while. I passed on one of his swords on ebay a few years back and have been kicking myself ever since. I might have to win the lottery to afford one of his pieces but man it doesn't hurt to look........... or does it?

On a side note, your works not to shabby if I do say so myself there Andrew. I LOVE the broken back sax, Grundag on your available page. And Dwagine as well. Nice work indeed. I'll be wanting to pick something up from you soon before your prices go the way of Jakes. Keep up the good work you two.

haha Happy Hey thank you so much!!!
I really appreciate that! glad you like my work.

www.MADdwarfWorkshop.com
Tim May

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw this a while back on Jake's sight and was unsurprised to see him speak of Peter Johnsson immediately afterwards, as it is not only reminiscent of the Svante, but it looks much more like a functional sword. This is not to detract from Jake's work whatsoever, it just seems that some of it is far too pretty to use.

Jake's swords, and this sword in particular, are becoming to look more and more wieldable while not detracting from their beauty. It is easy to see his work transcending either art or swordsmithing into something which, in my opinion, is far much more then either; his combination of carving and casting with this prowess in blade making is really outstanding, and the statistics on this sword make it seem as if it would be a dream to handle.

Also, the celtic anthromorphic sword below it on his page is absolutely stunning, and the carving on its scabbard might me my favorite of his to date.
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Jake Powning's work         Reply with quote

I agree, Jake's work is simply stunning. I happen to be the proud owner of that anthropomorphic Celtic short sword, and yes, its scabbard is sweet! It hangs proudly on my living room where I can adore it every evening. Big Grin
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sigh, when I saw the topic starter I thought to myself "don't look it will only make you commit a sin (thou shalt not covet jeez what were you thinking???)." I looked anyway and it did. Now I've got to go repent...

Also Andrew I've bookmarked your site, when I get a few other projects out of the way we've got to talk... Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice interpretation of somethings already seen here and there but with a very individual and distinct character.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Oakeshott type XVIIIa longsword, Du-Sith - by Jake Powning
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic