Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Swords made by Robert Adams? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Swords made by Robert Adams?         Reply with quote

Robert Adams is most well known for his "Horseclans" series of post-apocolypse sci-fi/fantasy novels, which are pretty good (though the plots can be a bit repetitive).

One thing that has always fascinated me since I first discovered his work is this snippet from the little author bio at the back of his novels: "And when he is not hard at work on his next science-fiction novel, Robert may be found slaving over a hot forge to make a new sword or busily reconstructing a historically accurate military cosume."

Does anyone here have any information or photos on any of his work? I'm kinda curious to see what he made.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Swords made by Robert Adams?         Reply with quote

C. Gadda wrote:
Robert Adams is most well known for his "Horseclans" series of post-apocolypse sci-fi/fantasy novels, which are pretty good (though the plots can be a bit repetitive).

One thing that has always fascinated me since I first discovered his work is this snippet from the little author bio at the back of his novels: "And when he is not hard at work on his next science-fiction novel, Robert may be found slaving over a hot forge to make a new sword or busily reconstructing a historically accurate military cosume."

Does anyone here have any information or photos on any of his work? I'm kinda curious to see what he made.

Yes I should have replied earlier: The Horseclan series was very very good although I read them so long ago I'm only left with fragments of the story. The story arc is not completely chronological as I think some of the later books go back to the origins of the Horseclans in a post apocalyptic World as a group of surviving children under the leadership of a genetic " immortal " ( I don't remember if he was just a non aging immortal or if he was also very hard to kill in the way " vampires " are hard to kill i.e. rapid tissue regeneration ? ).

The " immortal " character builds up an Empire and at some point leaves ruling to others but become a shadowy behind the scenes "player " !?

Like I said I read these when they came out decades ago and maybe I should dig into some boxes of old books and try to finds them again: They were very good in an alternate history/Military Sci-Fi. style.

My memory of the " Castaway in Time " series is even vaguer and maybe I can find some details about the story lines of that series on Wikepedia to refresh my memory.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Undying High Lord Milo Morai...if I recall correctly. Loved the books and I remember that quote too. It's been at least 15 years since I read those. I'd be interested to see if anyone has any more information on this one.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Keysor wrote:
The Undying High Lord Milo Morai...if I recall correctly. Loved the books and I remember that quote too. It's been at least 15 years since I read those. I'd be interested to see if anyone has any more information on this one.

Yeah, and Bili the Axe who I think we follow from being a young boy to an aged but still scary warrior at 85 years of age +: Very much specialized with using the battle axe ! Also, a telepathic link to his warhorse giving him and the horse a unique way of combining their skills as almost one creature.

This series was very VERY good and although the plot lines have faded from memory the emotional power of the books was very strong and remains.

Many of the battles would take historical battles and tactics and rework them into the plot lines of the books.

Some mixing of historical periods and cultures from history in interesting combinations I think from the use of Greek phalanx to Mongol horse archers to Medieval knights: So one might find some elements reminding one of " theoretical " knights versus
samurai or knight versus Roman legions etc ..... and a mix of different period weapons and tactics.

It would be convenient if these where republished in one or more anthologies, just not sure where I put mine in storage. Sad

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,

I seem to remember a phalanx being employed vs cavalry in one scenario. The telepathic link was reminiscent of Beastmaster and the Immortals remind one of Highlander. An interesting mix. I have to admit that, although I haven't read them in years, I still have them in the bookcase along with all the other sci fi/fantasy books that I grew up reading. I can't bear to get rid of them because they are like old friends. I've got Horseclans, the Gor books, most everything by Michael Moorcock etc... I'm hoping one day my kids will read them.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Aug, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

According to Wikipedia, Robert Adams died back in 1990 at age 56. His books are being/have been reprinted recently by Mundania Press. As far as his swords, I've never seen any.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Mon 18 Aug, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
According to Wikipedia, Robert Adams died back in 1990 at age 56. His books are being/have been reprinted recently by Mundania Press. As far as his swords, I've never seen any.

I only discovered this fact a few years ago myself. It was weird, because R.A. had begun a third series of books (the name of which I cannot recall and I'm too lazy to look up) which was, I believe, intended to be a trilogy. I remember reading the first two books, and then waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the last one, which never came. Of course, this was before the Internet became widely available, and so I had no immediate means of finding out what happened. I then forgot about the whole matter, until just a couple of years ago or so I became curious again, and after a little digging found out that he had died. Very sad.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Swords made by Robert Adams?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic