Go to page 1, 2  Next

E.B Erickson forthcoming commission
Hi people,

I have just been placed on the waiting list for a hilt by Mr Erickson. Well I am sure that you all here can understand the excitement and the pain of a long wait, but from the pieces I have see here the wait will be well worth it.

Now, the only thing I need to do is decide on a complex hilt worthy of this mans craft.

I am hoping that some people here might be able to make some suggestions to me?

I have around 2 years to wait but the planning is part of the fun.

So my initial thoughts are and English Basket-hilt. I currently have a Custom Mortuary sword in production at ArmouClass.

My ancestry is Cornish and Irish so I would be hoping in my overly romantic view of something that might have been used by an ancestor.

So, let the games begin? :)
Here is a nice Irish basket hilt c.1740 from the 1996 Peter Finer catalog:

[ Linked Image ]
Many thanks Jonathan,

Now we're talking - pic saved into my file!

Cheers!

Jason
Congrats on your impending Eljay commision and on the Armour Class mortuary,I know you'll love it ;)

At one point a couple years back...I had discussed with Eljay about a morutary hilt from him and we had played around with some designs, but I never saw it through.

One avenue / resource you may wish to look at is Cyril Mazansky's book "British Basket-hilted Swords".....lots of ideas could come from that.
Speaking for myself, I would be considering the hilts shown in the last chapter of Mazansky's book, the "hilts based on pierced side rings". They might be called proto-mortuaries but the assymetrical design intruiges me, I almost asked him to make me one on my recent commission but went with something else.

Last edited by Justin King on Thu 07 Aug, 2008 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
Here is a nice Irish basket hilt c.1740 from the 1996 Peter Finer catalog:

[ Linked Image ]

That is a very nice hilt. I like style as well as the material.
Niall O'Neill, 2nd Baron of Killeleagh, Lord Lt. of Ireland. Portrait ca. 1680. Killed at the battle of the Boyne, 1690.

In addition to many other items of interest here, the subject wears a baskethilt sword that Eljay could help pin down for you, stylistically. We've seen lots of 16th and 18th c. baskets from EBE. I'd love to see what he'd do with a fine hilt of 1650-1680.

If you can borrow a copy of the Mazansky book on baskethilt swords, that'll help you, but I think Eljay has that in his library.

Attachment: 78.72 KB
download-2.jpeg

... looks like I might have to invest in the book.

Thanks for the heads up fellas.

I will obviously still be grateful for any further ideas. Even other non-basket hilt ideas.

Cheers

Jason
How about a slightly later sword, like a spadroon? :)

... spadroon not a bad idea.

Cheers

Jason
Mazansky in this case is in many ways the ticket since that is the entire focus of the book, the hilts. Neumann is always a great source. some of the peter finer catalogs, the last hermann historica auction had some interesting swords, i loved the last one and bid on it but didn't win

Attachment: 20.61 KB
65287_b.jpg

Attachment: 45.02 KB
61539_b.jpg

Attachment: 22.09 KB
61538_b.jpg

Please let me suggest a change of direction here...

Have you thought of talking with ElJay about the things he might want to make? I know that sounds odd, but I've found that working with an artist (not limited to sword makers) often yields better work when fueled by their own passion. If the artist is really jazzed about the item they're creating, it will often be better researched and better executed. As a consumer, it's often a great thing to try to harness such things.

I know ElJay has an interest in English-styled hilts and some things that have not been replicated very often. You and he might find a wonderful overlap in these things and you could end up with a fantastic addition to your collection.
Re: E.B Erickson forthcoming commission
J Anstey wrote:

So my initial thoughts are and English Basket-hilt. I currently have a Custom Mortuary sword in production at ArmouClass.

Speaking of Eljay English baskethilts, I bought one of the ones that Gus Trim was selling a few years ago. While not as fancy as some of the Scottish baskethilts, it has a beautiful shape and is a wonderful sword. You might want something along the lines of this sword.

Attachment: 20.65 KB
eljay basket hilt.jpg

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Please let me suggest a change of direction here...

Have you thought of talking with ElJay about the things he might want to make? I know that sounds odd, but I've found that working with an artist (not limited to sword makers) often yields better work when fueled by their own passion. If the artist is really jazzed about the item they're creating, it will often be better researched and better executed. As a consumer, it's often a great thing to try to harness such things.

I know ElJay has an interest in English-styled hilts and some things that have not been replicated very often. You and he might find a wonderful overlap in these things and you could end up with a fantastic addition to your collection.

Hi Nathan

You a spot on here, this is exactly what I have asked from the beginning. He suggested that I look at types that appeal and then as we get closer things will become clearer and take my time in deciding.

I agree 100% that when engaging an artist with such an impressive body of work that it would be silly to not take full advantage of his depth of knowledge and often a very special piece can result by giving free range.

I also think that there is such a spread of knowledgeable people here that I might get an idea that I simply had not considered.

At the end of the day I will always defer to the expert.

Many thanks

Jason
Jason, that sounds fantastic. I'm really excited to know of your approach. I think that it tends to lead to something very special in the end.

Looking forward to what you two come up with....

Cheers!
... thanks for all of the pics and ideas gents!

they are all being saved to a file for consideration.

Keep em coming ;)

Many thanks again.
... well my commission is coming up early next year and have just decided with ElJay the basket hilt he will be making for me

Now I need your help gentlemen - can you please recommend me blade types and period scabbards suitable for this type of hilt? ElJay has told me that there are many suitable blades for this type of hilt so please help me decide.

I will need to get a wiggle on as I will need to commission a smith. I would also appreciate recommendations on smiths that will do justice to a hilt of this calibre?

PM me if it is not appropriate to discuss smith recommendations on this forum.

Many thanks

Jason
I know John Lundemo of Odinblades recently made a blade for an ElJay basket. I will try and hunt down the image.
Well i'm sorry Mr. Anstey, it was David Stokes sword but has been removed from his Photobucket. :(
I would think that given the mid-18th c style basket you have chosen that most examples similar in age and style will be mated to backsword blades. There is a pinch of snuff for sale from a well known dealer right now that looks to be all original. Very similar basket to what you have chosen. It has what I would call the classic British/Birmingham mid 18th c backsword blade which has an unfullered ricasso, very narrow fuller at the spine which ends at the false edge 10-12 inches from the tip of the blade, below which is a very broad fuller that runs almost all the way to the tip of the blade. I will send you a PM with the link that shows the dealer's listing. tr
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: