Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seeking restoration service for US Navy officer's sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lance Rund

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Seeking restoration service for US Navy officer's sword         Reply with quote

Hi,

Do any of you know of a place which does restoration of modern (1950's) American Navy officer's swords? I have a sword which belonged to a relative which is missing tassels, has some minor dings in the blade, and is a little loose in assembly (in addition to ordinary tarnish). I'm looking for a service which can restore this sword to its proper, accurate condition for display.

Thank you in advance,

--Lance
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Lance,

Welcome to the boards.

One company that lists service for military swords is the Ames Sword Company. Maybe contact them with your needs. They do require the sword sent in before they make an estimate.
http://www.amessword.com/swords/body_swords.html

Another approach would be to tackle the work on a more minimalist level. The Marlow White Company sells an appropriate sword knot (tassle) and what they call a Blitz cloth for polishing. As an aside, similar polishing cloths are available in most supermarkets in the household cleaning products section. They are very mildly abrasive and usually sold under the name Miracle Polishing Cloth. I suggest these over a paste type polish for sword hilts because the pastes and cremes can tend to get into nooks and crannies and be difficult to remove.

As the sword is destined to be just displayed, a minor wiggle in the fit of the hilt to blade shouldn't really be an issue but I can appreciate the thought of not wanting to mess with it yourself and wanting it in A1 shape. A ding to the edge is going to be more problematic for anyone. Several companies sell glass front display cases and if mounted thus, small imperfections of the blade are not going to be readily apparent. Above all, remember that these late swords were never meant for more than dress wear. It was just earlier in the 20th century that swords were removed from the Navy uniform regulations. Optional wear during duty at the approval of the commanding officer was restored during the 1950s but the swords being produced are of a dress (not fighting) weight.

If you would like to share pictures, we'd love to see them and if you can relate any maker or retailer markings at the base of the blade, near the hilt, we might be able to share a little more about if it actually predates its last service life or is an uncommon maker or configuration.

Cheers

GC
Lance Rund

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's my father's sword (he was a pilot from 1941-1966). There's nothing really unusual about it (any sword with the word "Stainless" at the base of the blade isn't what you'd call "combat ready")... just standard-issue for the time. I simply want it to be in the best condition possible. It has value only to me.

Markings, which appear to be chemically etched, include a six-pointed star with "Proved" at the base of one side of the blade, and "Germany", a Teutonic eagle, then "Hilborn/Hamburger Inc. New York", then "Made in Solingen". My father's name is etched in one side, and both sides have extensive naval-themed filligree up both sides of the blade.

I'll contact the folks you mentioned. Thanks!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seeking restoration service for US Navy officer's sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic