Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Godwin Smallsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
James Aldrich

PostPosted: Sun 21 Mar, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Godwin Smallsword         Reply with quote

Thanks to Stephen Fisher for the review. I purchased the Godwin smallsword about ten years ago for re-enactment use, essentially as a fashion accessory. I agree with Stephen's review completely, but I feel I should add something.

When I obtained my smallsword, Godwin's catalog included a strongly worded disclaimer to the effect that one should not attempt to actually use the piece in any way resembling swordplay. I recall it said that putting any thrusting pressure whatsover on the blade could lead to breakage as the temper was quite brittle in comparison to a sword designed for combat or fencing.

I don't mean to cast any asparagus on the sword, and certainly not on the vendor. To the contrary, I gratefully praise Godwin for going the extra mile in "full disclosure." I have done a lot of business with the Sutler of Mount Misery and I echo Stephen's recommendation.

JSA
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Godwin Smallsword         Reply with quote

Hi James,

Thanks for the comments. The temper on my blade is by no means brittle, while still being stiff, has a lot more flex to it, much more so than say Hanwei's Scottish smallsword. Perhaps the manufacturing of the blades may have changed somewhat, and for the better, or perhaps they are a mixed bag. How is the blade on yours?

Stephen
James Aldrich

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's good news about the blade. Mine is very stiff. Beyond that I can't say because I have been reluctant to flex it. It's partly the disclaimer/warning and partly psychological: generally, the brighter the polish on a blade, the more brittle it is in my imagination. Completely irrational, I know.

In any case, I haven't had a Godwin paper catalog in ages and the disclaimer does not appear on the website so let us assume the best. The Capitain of my re-enacted Compagnie de la Marine has one too; I'll ask him about his and examine it at our next event.

JSA
James Aldrich

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I took a deep breath [it's actually my wife's sword] and pushed the point against an unyielding surface. The blade flexed a reasonable amount, maybe a couple inches, and returned true. I think I'll try it in some drills as I am giving some informal instruction to members of my re-enacted Compagnie de la Marine.

Perhaps the old disclaimer was liability protection.

JSA
Josh Aldous

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You guys definitely have me interested in Godwin again. I keep meaning to check them out because I am, as I type, roughly 2 minutes away from them. I don't do any reenactment as such, but they've got lots of great period kit, not to mention the cutlery Wink
James Aldrich

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh Aldous wrote:
You guys definitely have me interested in Godwin again. I keep meaning to check them out because I am, as I type, roughly 2 minutes away from them. I don't do any reenactment as such, but they've got lots of great period kit, not to mention the cutlery Wink

My wife has most of her repro surgical instruments from GGG. In addition to the smallsword, I have their cutlass and epee du soldat. I am happy with both of the latter, although reasonable alternatives are currently available for less money.

JSA
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Sat 01 May, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi James,

Just thought I would add this. The smallsword is easily dismountable. (since it is held together by the pommel nut.) I've recently been putting it through some use with a cut down standard epee blade. You can use something cheap like a 6mm hex nut as a pommel nut. For those interested I highly recommend the use of a cut down musketeer blade over a standard epee blade.

stats. mounted with epee blade.:

weight- 1lb
blade length- 30.5"
blade width- 3/4"
P.O.B.- 1.5" from shell

Attachment: 102.02 KB
DSCN4098.JPG
Godwin smallsword mounted on a standard epee blade.
James Aldrich

PostPosted: Sat 01 May, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Godwin smallsword blade change         Reply with quote

Welcome news! Good to know I can try soemthing like a TCA musketeer blade. I used the sword its present state for some basic instruction which included thrusts and lunges against well-padded live targets. No damage done, either to sword or target. Still, it will be nice to mount a different blade and have the option of going at it in earnest. Plus I can keep the original blade unbuttoned and unscathed for re-enactment wear.

Thanks.

JSA

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Godwin Smallsword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic