Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Elchon's workshop news. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Elchon's workshop news.         Reply with quote

Hello friends!

I decided to create this topic to show you some of my projects.
As a student I currently treat this activity more as a hobby but I hope that in the near future it will become my job.

Some of you may remember my past project of creating a replica of 15century brigandine. Pictures can be found here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=6733&start=40

This time I want to present most recent brigandine replica based on the slightly modified pattern. There is only 20 plates left to add and it will be ready in the middle of January 2008.(I’ve planned to make it before new year but my fiancée announced that she is going to reserve all rights to my free time for the next two weeks Wink )

This time I decided to use a claret chamois leather + two layers of heavy linen. The leather itself is strong enough to hold
easily 5kg(11lb) on a single rivet.

The brigandine has 140 plates(18 ga st3 steel) and 1279 brass rivets. All plates that are over above waist level were put through the simple hardening process to give them extra strength. All plates are painted to protect them from rust and to allow minimum care (some paint is scratched from plate to plate friction, but places where plates can’t be preserved are well protected).There will be six high quality bucklers made of cast brass.

The brigandine is made for a person circa 170-180cm high(in my case 176cm), circa 105cm+arming doublet (in my case 110cm) chest and circa 90-95cm+arming doublet waist(in my case 100cm).

Here are some pics(sorry for the quality-I will make better when I finish the project).The shape will change slightly after adding all plates(especially waist lane).

It has no owner yet so feel free to make yourself a gift for the beginning of a year Wink

I will answer all questions. Please use PM or my e-mail ( dargoria@interia.pl ) Big Grin

Michal 'Elchon' Plezia

www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jan, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello

My project is almost finished.There is only 3 plates and straps+bucklers left to assemble.It will be finished today or on monday.

The brigandine is still available. The price is 1700$ or 1160 Euro + shipping.

I want to show you some pics of the current progress. Cool

www.elchon.com

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is ready! Cool

www.elchon.com

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks very good and I hope you find a buyer for it soon as well as " many " other orders to make more. Big Grin

Looks very flexible in that last pic. How many man hours did you put in making it ? If my question isn't too personnal.

Sincere best wishes.
Jean

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jean

It was circa 200-250 hours of work including hardening the plates.It is quite flexible.Not as flexible as mail but much more than plate cuirass.You can bend forward/,bacward and on sides quite easily.And it is also stiff enough to absorb much impact.

My next project is not an armour however Wink

It should soon be finished.

www.elchon.com

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
Thanks Jean

It was circa 200-250 hours of work including hardening the plates.It is quite flexible.Not as flexible as mail but much more than plate cuirass.You can bend forward/,bacward and on sides quite easily.And it is also stiff enough to absorb much impact.

My next project is not an armour however Wink

It should soon be finished.

That's a big investment of your time and about $6.80 an hour at the price you are asking. Eek! Oh, let's not forget the price of materials and other out of pocket expenses !

The quality of the work seems to justify the price as well. Wink As with the discussion about the prices of Albion swords they are worth the price but not everyone can afford the price.

Maybe I'm focussing too much on the price, but I hope I'm helping: Just wanted to help keep the price in perspective if it seemed too expensive to some people.

Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well this time I made it quicker than the prototype... I made some more accurate calculations and it was rather 150-200 hours so it would be circa 10$/hour or 1.33$ per rivet Wink
But it is a real plesure to create an armour or weapon.It can't be simply converted to money-I believe other makers would agree with me.I remember a blade one bladesmith made and called it moonblade.He spent whole year creating it,because he was working outside only when there was full moon.I will never forget the picture of him working in snow and cold Eek!

I've been a model-maker since I was a child so making copies is in my nature Wink

www.elchon.com

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
Well this time I made it quicker than the prototype... I made some more accurate calculations and it was rather 150-200 hours so it would be circa 10$/hour or 1.33$ per rivet Wink
But it is a real plesure to create an armour or weapon.It can't be simply converted to money-I believe other makers would agree with me.I remember a blade one bladesmith made and called it moonblade.He spent whole year creating it,because he was working outside only when there was full moon.I will never forget the picture of him working in snow and cold Eek!

I've been a model-maker since I was a child so making copies is in my nature Wink

Well, I'm sure that making it was rewarding in itself and as a partime sideline selling fast is secondary, but nice if it happens. Wink
( If it doesn't sell quickly it's not a problem and I wouldn't give it away by lowering the price ).

If it became your full time work then selling stuff becomes more important.

It's much more important that you are doing things you love to do. Cool I like the idea that someone is making such nice hard to find brigantines out there in an authentic manner. It sort of makes our world richer like any good art. Big Grin

Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello

This time I want to present a rondel dagger I recently made.

It was forged from 50HS spring steel than oil quenched.Disks are made of polished brass.The handle is jatoba(maybe South Amercican wood is not appropriate for purists but it is one of my favourites and IMO has a great texture and colour-in reality is slightly darker than in the picture.I think I must really take some picture taking lessons Wink )
It is sharp enough to slice paper and shave forearms Cool

Overall lenght: 35 cm
Blade lenght: 23 cm

It already has an owner.

www.elchon.com

Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello

This is my recent child 8-) The little brother of the prievious one.
The elegant weapon for the collection,reenactment or light cuting.
Hand forged from 50HS spring steel,hardened,tempered,most of the grinding was made without powertools.All the hardening and tempering was made by me without help of any specialized plant.
Blade is handmade satin finish,diamond cross section.The handle is jatoba(very hard and quite expensive wood,very decompose-proof).Disks are polished brass.The tang is peened.

The blade is sharp.

Total lenght
27.5 cm (10.8 inches)

blade lenght
17cm (6.7 inches)

The price is 150$+shipping (70% of the usual because of a slight asymetry of the handle visible on the picture)

www.elchon.com

Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now my blades are available with wood and leather scabbards.

www.elchon.com

Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jul, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The brigandine is still for sale(1700$ + shipping)

Currently I have also in stock rondel dagger + scabbard for 160$ + shipping

www.elchon.com

Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The brigandine has new price. It is now available for 1500$ + shipping.
Happy

www.elchon.com

Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 16 Nov, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another rondel dagger Eek! .It is obviously the most popular type...

Please take a look:

Blade lenght 23.5 cm
total lenght 35.5 cm

Steel 60s2 hardened and tempered.Satin blade finish,sharp enough to shave.

Handle is made of beechwood impregnated with beewax.

Scabbard made of wood and leather stiched with linen thread.Than I used oxblood dye and a paste made of beewax + turpentine.

Fittings made of brass with silver solder.

It already has an owner.

www.elchon.com

Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello.

I want to show you another dagger.This design was inspired by roman pugio, but of course it is not an exact replica.

The blade was made of excellent D2 steel, hand forged, bright satin finish.
The handle made of jatoba wood, polished , covered with beewax+ turpentine paste.
Rivets are brass.

A customer wanted a simple scabbard, so I made it from oxblood dyed leather stitched with linen thread.

Total lenght: 30,5 cm
Blade lenght: 17,5 cm

http://s421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/Elch...=slideshow

www.elchon.com

Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello

This is a pattern welded knife with leather sccabard I made recently.

Total lenght 22.4 cm
blade lenght 11.8 cm

It already has an owner.

www.elchon.com

M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I feel bad that I can't buy any of these D:

What do you study? Metalcraft? These are all quite good. The pugio inspired one is rather odd in the hilt; what's it like holding it?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I study theology Wink Bladesmithing is still more hobby than business, but I hope it will be my full time job in the future.

Pugio's hilt is surprisingly comfortable.I used paper models with different hilt proportions to find the best location of that center disc.It felt good in my hand.The customer is also satisfied.

By the way - this dagger is still available.

Total lenght: 27.5 cm (10.8 inches)
Blade lenght: 17cm (6.7 inches)
Hand forged from 50HS tempered spring steel.
Most of the grinding was made without useing
powertools.Jatoba wood handle, brass rondels.
The blade has satin finish.It is sharp.
Wood and leather scabbard(glued, not stiched).

Price 80$ / 58 Euro +shipping( to USA 28$ postal service or 46$ courier service, EU 18 Euro)

www.elchon.com

Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello

This time I want to show a late 15 cent. bevor . Made of 2mm and 1,5mm mild steel.Brass handmade buckler.Upper plate is movable.

It already has an owner. Happy

www.elchon.com

Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I finally have a website Happy

http://elchon.com

It still needs some improvements, but I invite you to visit it.
There is a gallery of some of my past works and 'for sale' section with up to date prices of items in stock.

www.elchon.com

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Elchon's workshop news.
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: