Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Baldric for one and a half claymore? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Didier Dillen

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Baldric for one and a half claymore?         Reply with quote

Hello,

I've recently bought a one and a half handed claymore by Kovex (blade size : 90 cm).

http://www.kovex-ars.cz/armoury/emeced.html

I want now to make my own scabbard (plywood and leather). What will be a reasonably historically accurate scabbard for this sword? And what kind of belt or baldric will be historically accurate too ?

Thank you very much for your help.
Jeff Kaisla

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure that plywood would be the best way to go. Since you're goung to have to shape the wood and carve a groove for the blade, plywood will probably turn into a mess on you. Maybe try some pine 1 x 4, carve out the groove for your blade, glue it together, and then shape it. As for historical accuracy, I'll leave that for someone else. There is a nice baldric / sling for a claymore on the Albion site. Like the one from Braveheart, though your blade would be bare....

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/scabbards/sling.htm
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd avoid the pine. Pine is an acidic would that may damage your blade. The standard these days is either basswood or tulip poplar. Poplar is reasonably easy to find at Lowe's or Home Depot if you have them in your area and do not have access to a sawmill etc. I don't recall ever seeing a scabbard for a claymore per se but there is period art that shows big two handers with scabbards so at the least it is plausible. Now someone will show up and post a scabbard for a claymore, so let's see what they come up with. Happy
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

According to Guy Widsor's book THE SWORDSMANS COMPANION one would not use a baldric for the obvious reason of not being able to draw it, and that the length of a longsword should be the longest you can comfortably draw from a waist scabbard. I can't view the picture for some reason my computer says the sight is down so I have no idea for time period, all I know is that most claymores were later weapons
maybe and I repeat maybe as I cant see the pic
this kinda thing would work
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...abbard.htm
you could also PM Aaron Schnaterly he is a very nice guy and very knowledgeable about scabbards

Charles Stewart Rodriguez

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Baldric for one and a half claymore?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic